Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guarantee - Who is responsible?

Options
  • 08-11-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Bought a flask on Amazon with a 5 year guarantee in October 2018. Anyway today it failed. I've asked amazon and they say I need to take it up with the manufacturer. Is that correct? I know it's only a tiny thing but I'd prefer to get a replacement for free if possible rather than forking out the 30 quid again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sounds like a 5 year manufacturer's warranty. Give them a shout and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

if it is a manufacturer guarantee then the manufacturer would be the party to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Quick question. Bought a flask on Amazon with a 5 year guarantee in October 2018. Anyway today it failed. I've asked amazon and they say I need to take it up with the manufacturer. Is that correct? I know it's only a tiny thing but I'd prefer to get a replacement for free if possible rather than forking out the 30 quid again.

To answer your question directly - whoever sold you the product is responsible for it. You entered a contract of sale with them, and not the manufacturer.

The manufacturers guarantee is something which comes sometimes as an addition to your consumer rights, however many retailers try to use this to try and shirk their responsibilities under consumer law.

That said, it might be easier to get the manufacturer to sort this out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 glasspicklejar

As it's electronics, I think you have a two year warranty from the seller. After that, I think it's with the manufacturer. Sounds like you are just outside the two year window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is it a Thermos or Stanley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hardybuck wrote: »
    To answer your question directly - whoever sold you the product is responsible for it. You entered a contract of sale with them, and not the manufacturer.

The manufacturers guarantee is something which comes sometimes as an addition to your consumer rights, however many retailers try to use this to try and shirk their responsibilities under consumer law.

That said, it might be easier to get the manufacturer to sort this out for you.

UK/EU law is different to Irish law, the OP bought from Amazon so Irish consumer legislation doesn't cover it. They only have 2 year warranties their sales and anything extra is form the manufacturer/retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you push Amazon on this then you can normally get a £10 credit as a good will gesture even if they won't do a full refund. You just need to keep at them in a polite but relentless matter. If you are stuck at home because of Covid it can be an interesting distraction.

From experience the only way you will get a full refund is if you have a copy of the original Amazon listing that says there is a 5 year Guarantee. Although I've only got that to work with an item that had a two year guarantee on the listing (full refund over £200 after 23 months use).

Wake me up when it's all over.

If you push Amazon on this then you can normally get a £10 credit as a good will gesture even if they won't do a full refund. You just need to keep at them in a polite but relentless matter. If you are stuck at home because of Covid it can be an interesting distraction.

From experience the only way you will get a full refund is if you have a copy of the original Amazon listing that says there is a 5 year Guarantee. Although I've only got that to work with an item that had a two year guarantee on the listing (full refund over £200 after 23 months use).

Why hassle over getting a €10 goodwill gesture from Amazon if the manufacturer offers a 5 year guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Why hassle over getting a €10 goodwill gesture from Amazon if the manufacturer offers a 5 year guarantee?

If you want to be pedantic why not get both.

OP, Looking at the listing for Stainless Steel Thermos Flasks I see that Amazon are saying they have a 5 year guarantee so I'd go back to them and point that out and ask them to explain exactly how you claim it and that you only bought the item from Amazon because they stated it had a 5 year guarantee.

Edit - See https://thermos.co.uk/warranty-returns-policy#optionc
    If you wish to make a claim under the manufacturer’s warranty please contact customer.service@thermos.co.uk

worth a try.

Wake me up when it's all over.

If you want to be pedantic why not get both.

OP, Looking at the listing for Stainless Steel Thermos Flasks I see that Amazon are saying they have a 5 year guarantee so I'd go back to them and point that out and ask them to explain exactly how you claim it and that you only bought the item from Amazon because they stated it had a 5 year guarantee.

Edit - See https://thermos.co.uk/warranty-returns-policy#optionc

worth a try.

We've said from the start that it's a manufacturer's guarantee and to contact them. The seller has fulfilled their obligations regarding the goods in question. They have also said how to claim i.e. Via the manufacturer.

It's not an unusual nor complicated issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement