Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cyclocross tyres???

Options
  • 08-11-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I bought a Bianchi Zurigo at the start of the first lockdown. Bought a set of road tyres and pretty much exclusively used it for road riding.

Since the weather has gone well Irish, cold, wet etc I have put back on the original tyres that came with it. A set of 32c Kenda ones. The issue is they’re more a gravel tyre than a muddy cyclocross one.

I’ve been in the Phoenix park which they handle ok on but I down the Royal canal today and even though it was a lot of fun it was a bit too slippy in the mud for the tyres. Would rather not end up in the canal.

So can anyone recommend a good soft mud cyclocross tyre please?? The bike can take up to 38c from what read so ideally I’m looking that size. And I’m not going tubeless so just regular tube tyres please.

There’s very few videos online about this which I found odd. Plenty of gravel tyre ones but we have **** all gravel in Ireland. We have plenty of mud though! :-)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Have tried a number and swear by Challenge Linus for traction and mud shedding - have got away with others when ground more compacted or over grass with Panaracer Gravelkings my favourite but when it gets slippy and inclines come into the picture, the Linus rule

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BarryM0508

I really want to get into cyclocross, but I have no idea where to start. Currently, I have 2 bikes. A mountain bike and one which I presume is a cross bike (I bought it as a commuter). Is that bike suitable to be used for cyclocross? I would love a link to a beginner's guide into training etc. I am also curious about the tires that are best suited for cyclocross. The bike is a Shwinn Millsaps. And do I need to watch the weather before I ride my cyclocross bike (I have an account on Climacell, so it won't be a problem if I need to)? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

BarryM0508 wrote: »
    I really want to get into cyclocross, but I have no idea where to start. Currently, I have 2 bikes. A mountain bike and one which I presume is a cross bike (I bought it as a commuter). Is that bike suitable to be used for cyclocross? I would love a link to a beginner's guide into training etc. I am also curious about the tires that are best suited for cyclocross. The bike is a Shwinn Millsaps. And do I need to watch the weather before I ride my cyclocross bike (I have an account on Climacell, so it won't be a problem if I need to)? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Lookin at the bike you’ve mentioned it seems to be a road bike, not a CX bike.

The line between CX and road bikes has changed in recent year’s as road bikes like yours now have disc brakes. But the biggest and most obvious difference is clearance for larger tyres. Mine can fit up to 38c, some cx bikes go even higher than that.

So it depends what clearance you have. Other differences would be CX bikes tend to have a slightly more upright/compact geometry for a more upright feel than a road bike. Handling over speed.

Lastly there’s a difference in the gearing.

Tbh though if you have clearance fit a set of bigger tyres and go out, get muddy and have fun would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

There’s very few videos online about this which I found odd. Plenty of gravel tyre ones but we have **** all gravel in Ireland. We have plenty of mud though! :-)

Plenty of gravel, just need to go exploring. Good thing about the gravel tyres is that they roll better on the road sections - cyclocross mud tyres can be a bit sluggish on the road. Surprisingly grippy too at the right pressures.

Specialized Terras, Challenge Limus are great mud tyres.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Plenty of gravel, just need to go exploring. Good thing about the gravel tyres is that they roll better on the road sections - cyclocross mud tyres can be a bit sluggish on the road. Surprisingly grippy too at the right pressures.

Specialized Terras, Challenge Limus are great mud tyres.

Challenge Limus with a second vote there so I might have to go with them.

As for gravel, where would you find any in Dublin 15?

I honestly can’t think of anywhere.

Challenge Limus with a second vote there so I might have to go with them.

As for gravel, where would you find any in Dublin 15?

I honestly can’t think of anywhere.

Need to get out into the hills for gravel, Dublin and Wicklow mountains - plenty of time between now and December for route planning.

Personally would only use the mud tyres for muddy races, they can be sluggish and you won't get the best out of them unless you run lower pressures - can also be a bit fragile on fire roads.

Need to get out into the hills for gravel, Dublin and Wicklow mountains - plenty of time between now and December for route planning.

Personally would only use the mud tyres for muddy races, they can be sluggish and you won't get the best out of them unless you run lower pressures - can also be a bit fragile on fire roads.

There has to be a happy medium though. The ones I’m running now are definitely gravel tyre cause they’re pretty much slick (very small knobs) in the middle with bigger knobs around the edges.

Again grand on the road but I’m trying to be in fields and mud as much as possible.

I have a set of Pirelli P Zeros for when I want to go for a road spin.

There has to be a happy medium though. The ones I’m running now are definitely gravel tyre cause they’re pretty much slick (very small knobs) in the middle with bigger knobs around the edges.

Again grand on the road but I’m trying to be in fields and mud as much as possible.

I have a set of Pirelli P Zeros for when I want to go for a road spin.

Yes of course, whatever gives you confidence. Was surprised to be able to ride muddy mountain bike trails on the gravel tyres, slippy but in a fun way. Lack of traction on steeper climbs but that's what the MTB is for 😊

Yes of course, whatever gives you confidence. Was surprised to be able to ride muddy mountain bike trails on the gravel tyres, slippy but in a fun way. Lack of traction on steeper climbs but that's what the MTB is for 😊

Slipping on mud down by the royal canal is no fun if you end up in the canal!

Not sure I’d agree with you on the steeper climbs either. Goin around the Phoenix park there’s plenty of steepish climbs that a CX bike is well capable of. A mountain bike would be overkill. To be honest that’s what I love about CX. The idea that you can make a fairly plain trail more fun than it would be on a mountain bike. Mountain bikes are too good for what I’m riding if that makes any sense.

• Advertisement

Slipping on mud down by the royal canal is no fun if you end up in the canal!

Not sure I’d agree with you on the steeper climbs either. Goin around the Phoenix park there’s plenty of steepish climbs that a CX bike is well capable of. A mountain bike would be overkill. To be honest that’s what I love about CX. The idea that you can make a fairly plain trail more fun than it would be on a mountain bike. Mountain bikes are too good for what I’m riding if that makes any sense.

I was referring to riding a red mountain bike trail which was too steep for the gearing and the tyre choice I have on the gravel bike - no rear traction in the mud.

CX or gravel are bikes are more than capable and can be a lot of fun on more challenging trails too, certainly puts manners on you and great for building skills and confidence. Phoenix Park is a lot of fun on the CX bike but agreed, wouldn't take the MTB there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BarryM0508

Lookin at the bike you’ve mentioned it seems to be a road bike, not a CX bike.

The line between CX and road bikes has changed in recent year’s as road bikes like yours now have disc brakes. But the biggest and most obvious difference is clearance for larger tyres. Mine can fit up to 38c, some cx bikes go even higher than that.

So it depends what clearance you have. Other differences would be CX bikes tend to have a slightly more upright/compact geometry for a more upright feel than a road bike. Handling over speed.

Lastly there’s a difference in the gearing.

Tbh though if you have clearance fit a set of bigger tyres and go out, get muddy and have fun would be my advice.

Thank you! I will check the clearance and see if I can get bigger tires on it. If not, I might ask you to recommend a CX bike that is not too expensive. :)

BarryM0508 wrote: »
    Thank you! I will check the clearance and see if I can get bigger tires on it. If not, I might ask you to recommend a CX bike that is not too expensive. :)

Gravel bikes tend to have more clearance than CX bikes, depends what you want to do. Max tyre width allowed in a UCI CX race is 33mm so some of the bikes are made to accommodate this and not much more.

Can get up to 47mm tyres on my gravel bike but literally ground to a halt in a muddy race last year with 33mm tyres on the CX bike and wide rims. If you plan to race CX (most fun you will have racing a bike) get a bike for that purpose otherwise go for something you will get more use out of. As for weather watching - the more mud the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Your bike IS a cyclocross bike, or so says road.cc https://road.cc/content/review/160612-bianchi-zurigo

Your bike IS a cyclocross bike, or so says road.cc https://road.cc/content/review/160612-bianchi-zurigo

I know it is. Sorry I’m missing your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I know it is. Sorry I’m missing your point.
    Confirming, in case you thought you haven't got cx bike

Confirming, in case you thought you haven't got cx bike

Ah ok, no I specifically bought a CX bike but set it up with road tyres for the last 6 months cause I like road cycling too. One bike is enough for both jobs for me. Just change the tyres when I fancy a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Any further cross specific tyres recommendations please? If it’s not so muddy and maybe compacted from frost what would the recommendations be?

Could some also make a recommendation for good lightweight aluminium wheels which take cross wide tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Best all round tyres are still the challenge griffos. Run them soft for mud, and hard for everything else.

I am using Fulcrum DBs and they are nice and wide, and very strong.

Advertisement