Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from full time to part time advice please

Options
  • 08-11-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm ETB 22 hours CID.
    I'm thinking of going part time instead of 22 hours pw. What is the process? Can i choose the nunber of hours i would like to do? Who should i contact first? Is it straightforward or a pain?
    Has anyone done this and what was the process like? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'm ETB 22 hours CID.
    I'm thinking of going part time instead of 22 hours pw. What is the process? Can i choose the nunber of hours i would like to do? Who should i contact first? Is it straightforward or a pain?
    Has anyone done this and what was the process like? Thanks

You would be applying for job share which is 11 hours. This has to be done before February 1st I believe. As you are an ETB teacher, contact HR. I think it is subject to a replacement being found before September 1st in the year you wish to jobshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I know of teachers that negotiated a shorter working week, maybe 18 hours with a Fri or Mon off etc. I'd start with management and discuss the possibility there first. I suspect a lot of it will be down to your subjects and how easy/hard it would be to timetable without you for X classes a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I know of teachers that negotiated a shorter working week, maybe 18 hours with a Fri or Mon off etc. I'd start with management and discuss the possibility there first. I suspect a lot of it will be down to your subjects and how easy/hard it would be to timetable without you for X classes a week.

It would work better for an ETB school but couldn't see this happening in a voluntary secondary school (unless very big) as it would be difficult to get someone for four hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭qaz123

If you go on job share how does it effect your wages. Is it down to 50% or abit higher with tax saving.
    Anyone any experience of it at PP could you do 11hour over 3 days or were you in all week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

qaz123 wrote: »
    If you go on job share how does it effect your wages. Is it down to 50% or abit higher with tax saving.
    Anyone any experience of it at PP could you do 11hour over 3 days or were you in all week

Totally depends on the principal. Some schools will allow you do 4 days. I've heard of one school where teachers are allowed share a class, so they do three days / two days each week.

Mostly though you have to be in every day but have less hours. You get more than 50% due to tax, not sure how much though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

In the school I work in job share people generally do a 4 day week, they expect it at this stage but it’s never guaranteed.
    In reality they usually get one or two half days as well

Advertisement