Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digiweb & BT smart hub

• 08-11-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi :)

I am currently using Digiweb broadband and the truth is that I am happy with the speed (considering that it's only FTTC) , the problem is that the router is a bit outdated (no gigabit ports, not dual band wifi...)

https://digiweb.ie/fritzbox-7430/

I was wondering if I could replace the router. On Ebay you can find BT Smart hubs pretty cheap and the specs are better.

Is that something possible? if not, it would be possible to use the fritzbox in bridge mode and connect another router.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

living wrote: »
    Hi :)

I am currently using Digiweb broadband and the truth is that I am happy with the speed (considering that it's only FTTC) , the problem is that the router is a bit outdated (no gigabit ports, not dual band wifi...)

https://digiweb.ie/fritzbox-7430/

I was wondering if I could replace the router. On Ebay you can find BT Smart hubs pretty cheap and the specs are better.

Is that something possible? if not, it would be possible to use the fritzbox in bridge mode and connect another router.

Thanks in advance :)

Sometimes you're better just getting a mesh system and plugging into the modem. A deco m4 for eg. With fttc, you don't need gigabit ports on the orig modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

Thanks TheDriver, the truth is that I didn't want to invest a lot of money on this, I saw those routers on ebay for less than 30 euro and I was wondering if they would work easily :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Somebody tried this recently and it failed to sync correctly, possibly vectoring related possibly something else. Wouldn't bother unless you're going for something decent not ISP surplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭dam099

Are you still in contract with Digiweb? If out of contract might be worth asking them if they can do a free modem upgrade if you sign up to another 12 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

dam099 wrote: »
    Are you still in contract with Digiweb? If out of contract might be worth asking them if they can do a free modem upgrade if you sign up to another 12 months.

Think at the time i upgraded to the 7530 for €50 i think they will supply the 7590 at a cost also but you own it and its preconfigured by them

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »

No, we have been with them more than 1 year, maybe I can try that :)

ED E wrote: »
    Somebody tried this recently and it failed to sync correctly, possibly vectoring related possibly something else. Wouldn't bother unless you're going for something decent not ISP surplus.

Then I won't try if it's going to cause too much hassle, I prefer to leave it the way it is.

In the end I got the AVM FRITZ!Box 3490 for £32, I know that I will lose the phone capabilities...but I didn't know that we had a phone connection until 1 week ago so it won't affect me :D

Thanks for the help everybody.

Advertisement