Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of questions about computers

Options
  • 09-11-2020 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Can I fix it with a screwdriver?

No... Can I wake up an old dell xp machine over the lan with remote desktop from a windows 10 machine? It's an on-board nic, a Realtec I think.

Is there a cheap bluetooth mouse for a laptop that connects to the laptops built-in bluetooth rather than an accompanying dongle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Heighway61 wrote: »
    No... Can I wake up an old dell xp machine over the lan with remote desktop from a windows 10 machine? It's an on-board nic, a Realtec I think.

The wake-on-LAN feature must be supported by the motherboard, and you should see it somewhere in the BIOS, if available.

Is there a cheap bluetooth mouse for a laptop that connects to the laptops built-in bluetooth rather than an accompanying dongle?

If the specification mentions Bluetooth, rather than Wireless, then it's highly likely that it will work with an integrated Bluetooth adapter. If the spec says Wireless, then it will usually involve a proprietary dongle that comes with the mouse.

Currys has a special filter for Bluetooth connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

JoyPad wrote: »
    The wake-on-LAN feature must be supported by the motherboard, and you should see it somewhere in the BIOS, if available.

If the specification mentions Bluetooth, rather than Wireless, then it's highly likely that it will work with an integrated Bluetooth adapter. If the spec says Wireless, then it will usually involve a proprietary dongle that comes with the mouse.

Currys has a special filter for Bluetooth connectivity.
    Perfect, thanks.

Got a mouse.

Enabled wol in bios. Trying a wol utility but it's not working. Can it be done in Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Got a mouse.

Enabled wol in bios. Trying a wol utility but it's not working. Can it be done in Windows?

Of course. After you enabled the option in BIOS, you need to tell Windows about it.
    Internet has the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mariopepper

I can't say for sure if it's possible with an old dell xp device. I've been using Dell 3150 laptop back in 2011 and I couldn't succeed with remote desktop. First of all check out dell manuals http://dell.manymanuals.com/laptops and maybe you will find your model's manual wich might include some instruction for remote desktop access. P.s. Maybe I couldn't wake it up because I had lack of knowledge or mine 3150 wasn't ready for such an action :D Anyway good luck with this idea

• Advertisement

I can't say for sure if it's possible with an old dell xp device. I've been using Dell 3150 laptop back in 2011 and I couldn't succeed with remote desktop. First of all check out dell manuals http://dell.manymanuals.com/laptops and maybe you will find your model's manual wich might include some instruction for remote desktop access. P.s. Maybe I couldn't wake it up because I had lack of knowledge or mine 3150 wasn't ready for such an action :D Anyway good luck with this idea
    Worked well, for a day. Next day it wouldn't work. Might come back to it in a bit.

Advertisement