Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Ireland-France option in winter (Irish Ferries Epsilon or Stena Horizon)

• 09-11-2020 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

With no Brittany Ferries operating, what is the better option in winter for a France - Ireland crossing?

The Irish Ferries Epsilon and Stena Horizon look like very similar ships. Any difference at all in passenger experience, cabin cleanliness etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

To the best of my knowledge they are the same (sister ships). As for level of service, there is not a lot onboard on either from my recollection, one bar, cafe and one restaurant. I think you should consider that your holiday will begin once you disembark from either ship in France. Use the time onboard to do some reading. Other than that, I would choose on price and points of Irish departure.

Have a lovey break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭embraer170

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Innisfallen

Stena have had a reshuffle on the Irish Sea. Stena Horizon has been replaced with Stena Vinga on Rosslare - Cherbourge, which is operating freight only at the moment.

Irish Ferries' Epsilon is the only ship offering passenger services at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭embraer170

Horizon seems to be back 21 November (some crew apparently tested positive for Corona), but it seems that Stenaline.ie would accept a passenger/car booking on the Vinga too.

The Irish Ferries Epsilon crossings from January 2021 are not allowing passengers to book cabins. These are available only after boarding and if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Can concur, just booked the Stena Horizon for January 2nd. Wasn't really going to risk the Irish Ferries without a cabin prebooked, potential overnight in a chair...no thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

damo86 wrote: »
    Can concur, just booked the Stena Horizon for January 2nd. Wasn't really going to risk the Irish Ferries without a cabin prebooked, potential overnight in a chair...no thanks!
    The Stena Horizon is much critisised for being too "small" (noting that as a ferry its just as big as the Oscar Wilde back in the days), or having too steep a ramp or not enough restaurants or bar options or not having tellys in the bedrooms

Anyhow, we have travelled with it a number of times , only in the Winter, and its a fine ship. Its reasonably stable in choppy waters, the food is edible - even nice at times, the bar has reasonable guinness, the cabins are in good shape (only thing is that they have this one by one sheet thing for the bog roll which can be tricky... after a clatter of guinness) , the beds reasonably comfy.
    After a few stena refits, its a little plusher than it was originally when it was very much styled as an italian ice cream parlour/ bistro on the seas (again not suiting irish people who prefer carpets over tiled surfaces to puke on !!! )
    There also used to be a less than customer friendly key policy of having to stand in a queue at reception to swap a passport or car keys as security for a physical key but now its finally proper key cards (in case you see gripes online about that too)

I will admit that on a packed summer crossing I can imagine that it might get a bit full, but in the winter thats not an issue and for an overnight ferry where you get on, settle in, have some pints, sleep, get brekkie and then disembark: its spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I just looked and the timetable for Stena is now changed that in January they no longer have a day in port on a Monday, and are instead shuttling over and back non stop, so the days of departure from Rosslare or Cherbourg are different every other week.

The timetable from February onwards is still the "old" way of fixed days for sailings in a certain direction with Monday free, but depending on Brexit and landbridge chaos that could change yet!

Advertisement