Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Windscreen Replacement Limerick city

• 09-11-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

car windscreen needs to be replaced, and would like to stay local if I can get any recommendations of any local reliable businesses.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check your insurance policy if you have windscreen cover, they will have a preferred replacement agent they will put you in contact with who will replace it FOC.

If you don't have windscreen cover then your looking at probably upwards of €200 depending on the car. Not too many windscreen replacement companies in the region these days, Mr Windscreen seems to get alot of the insurance companies farmed out work in my experience. You also have Autoglass and Allglass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

bazz26 wrote: »
    Check your insurance policy if you have windscreen cover, they will have a preferred replacement agent they will put you in contact with who will replace it FOC.

If you don't have windscreen cover then your looking at probably upwards of €200 depending on the car. Not too many windscreen replacement companies in the region these days, Mr Windscreen seems to get alot of the insurance companies farmed out work in my experience. You also have Autoglass and Allglass.

Thanks. Forgive the ignorant question, but is windscreen cover (if I have it as an optional extra, will check the policy later when I am at the car) effectively unconnected to the No claims discount, or will exercising that policy have an impact on the NCD next renewal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you have to declare you claimed for windscreen but it won't affect your no claims. I think it's just tracked to make sure nobody is abusing it by getting a new windscreen 2 times a year...

I recently used allglass/autoglass they have a place beside the NCT centre on the ballysimon road. But they came to the house and did the swap.

I did it outside of insurance and paid 200 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

osarusan wrote: »
    Thanks. Forgive the ignorant question, but is windscreen cover (if I have it as an optional extra, will check the policy later when I am at the car) effectively unconnected to the No claims discount, or will exercising that policy have an impact on the NCD next renewal?

It depends on the insurance company but usually windscreen or glass cover is included in a comprehensive policy. However these days some insurance companies offer comprehensive policies and things like windscreen cover as an optional extra when taking out the policy as it makes the basic policy appear cheaper to people. Windscreen cover can cost about €20 or €30 extra a year depending on the insurance company but many people don't take it and then get stung for €200+ when they need a new windscreen. Certainly worth getting if you have a fairly new car as windscreens are getting crazy expensive these days with all the driver aid and safety sensors/cameras built into them.

Also generally windscreen replacement doesn't effect your no claims bonus but can be listed on your no claims bonus statement at renewal time anyway. They usually only allow 1 or 2 windscreen claims in any policy period before you are charged the excess on the policy if you claim for another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks both, very helpful, I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

osarusan wrote: »

The 2 times I've claimed for new windscreens they were included in my policy and did not effect my NCD. Hope it's the same for you...

Advertisement