Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable AP for VM setup

• 09-11-2020 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Afternoon all

Hopefully someone can provide a steer please - entry-level question. Sorry.

Looking to have VM 500Gb installed - VM router will be in the attic - house cabled with Cat5e and 16-port switch in attic - looking to install a number of Access Points around the house for both decent WiFi + Ethernet ports at TVs, etc.

Looking at Netgear WAC124s. Reasonably priced and looks fit-for-purpose.

Should this be OK ??...or is there a more obvious go-to Access Point I should consider ?.

Many thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭dam099

If you are going for a number of Access Points the probably should look at a mesh system. Probably not too many with more than one ethernet port out (and some with none) but you could also use a cheap switch with them at any location you need more than one port.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

dam099 wrote: »
    If you are going for a number of Access Points the probably should look at a mesh system. Probably not too many with more than one ethernet port out (and some with none) but you could also use a cheap switch with them at any location you need more than one port.

Thanks Dan - as the VM Router will be in the attic and heavy insulation in the house - maybe just two APs would be sufficient - one in the main room serving the whole of downstairs - one in bedroom - WiFi mainly. I can use the Cat5e from the attic/router and 16-port switch for most devices like TVs etc. Focus on WiFi. Thanks, K

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Thanks Dan - as the VM Router will be in the attic and heavy insulation in the house - maybe just two APs would be sufficient - one in the main room serving the whole of downstairs - one in bedroom - WiFi mainly. I can use the Cat5e from the attic/router and 16-port switch for most devices like TVs etc. Focus on WiFi. Thanks, K

POE switch and Ubiquiti AP’s and you won’t go wrong

Hi all

Just reading some other threads and very positive comments for the TP-Link Deco M4. Suggests installation idiot-proof. Would avoid the need for a separate PoE switch...as I would be locating beside power points and connecting to router via Ethernet anyway.

Sound OK ??

Thanks,
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

why would one look at a mesh system when the person has said that the house is already cabled up and has a switch already in the attic. theres no mention of it but id be ditching the vm router straight away. ubiquiti is hard bet for bang for buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dero

I don't understand the suggestion to use a mesh system when you have an extant Ethernet network in place. To my mind, mesh only makes sense when wireless backhaul is the only option.

I'd second the suggestion of UniFi access points. I have a couple of these in my house and I have perfect coverage everywhere.

They are not quite plug and play though; there is a bit of set up involved. You'll need to run the UniFi controller to at least set them up. I run it permanently in a VM and it provides a good dashboard to keep an eye on the wireless network.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    why would one look at a mesh system when the person has said that the house is already cabled up and has a switch already in the attic. theres no mention of it but id be ditching the vm router straight away. ubiquiti is hard bet for bang for buck.

The "mesh" term is commonly being used for systems using either of Wifi and Ethernet for backhaul (or indeed both as an option) and which act in unison as one network with a single SSID and intelligent handover between access points e.g. the Deco M4's. As the OP has ethernet I would of course recommend a "mesh" system that uses that for the backhaul.

There are lots of wired access points available which create a new network which will not have the benefits of one SSID and seamless roaming.

My understanding of the Ubiquiti APs is that they do indeed communicate with each other so would also be a good choice (if slightly more expensive than the Deco's but you get what you pay for). Ubiquiti use the mesh term themselves for many of their access points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The "mesh" term is commonly being used for systems using either of Wifi and Ethernet for backhaul (or indeed both as an option) and which act in unison as one network with a single SSID and intelligent handover between access points e.g. the Deco M4's. As the OP has ethernet I would of course recommend a "mesh" system that uses that for the backhaul.

There are lots of wired access points available which create a new network which will not have the benefits of one SSID and seamless roaming.

My understanding of the Ubiquiti APs is that they do indeed communicate with each other so would also be a good choice (if slightly more expensive than the Deco's but you get what you pay for). Ubiquiti use the mesh term themselves for many of their access points.
    I know exactly what “mesh” is... I’m sure your familiar with the down sides of using mesh system also.

I wouldn’t be recommending it when someone has a cabled network already in place.

One can simply log into any ap and have a matching ssid it’s a basic thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hi all

Just reading some other threads and very positive comments for the TP-Link Deco M4. Suggests installation idiot-proof. Would avoid the need for a separate PoE switch...as I would be locating beside power points and connecting to router via Ethernet anyway.

Sound OK ??

Thanks,
    K

I've an M4, very good system. you can get them on amazon for 100stg on offer for 3 units. I've 2 units working and very happy with them. Devices that can give out on certain 5GHz systems have no trouble here

shanec1928 wrote: »
    One can simply log into any ap and have a matching ssid it’s a basic thing.

You can do that but unless the APs are all communicating with each other to co-ordinate roaming between them devices may hang on to a weaker AP with just adequate signal when another AP may provide superior performance.

Ubiquiti's will co-ordinate so are a good option but getting a bunch of random APs from other manufacturers they may not support this. A wired mesh system will be better than using basic access points which don't properly support roaming.

I agree that any sort of mesh solution using wireless for the backhaul would not be the best solution for the OP as they have ethernet available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Afternoon all

Hopefully someone can provide a steer please - entry-level question. Sorry.

Looking to have VM 500Gb installed - VM router will be in the attic - house cabled with Cat5e and 16-port switch in attic - looking to install a number of Access Points around the house for both decent WiFi + Ethernet ports at TVs, etc.

Looking at Netgear WAC124s. Reasonably priced and looks fit-for-purpose.

Should this be OK ??...or is there a more obvious go-to Access Point I should consider ?.

Many thanks,
    Kevin

Sorry this is off topic but did you do that attic install yourself or get someone to do it ?

I can’t get someone to run cable for love nor money. Seems no sparks interested in home work last few months only doing commercial.

Even tried to throw a virgin engineer cash last week to do it and he wasn’t interested.

Tempted to try myself but never trust myself with DIY haha

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sorry this is off topic but did you do that attic install yourself or get someone to do it ?

I can’t get someone to run cable for love nor money. Seems no sparks interested in home work last few months only doing commercial.

Even tried to throw a virgin engineer cash last week to do it and he wasn’t interested.

Hi Doc

House was just renovated and rewired etc. I asked the electrician to cable everything from the attic to points around the house - twin ethernet & co-ax to each room and CCTV. I haven't organised the attic yet !! and have been looking for "residential cabling" services. I'll need to install a 16-port switch and terminate cables - neatly I hope !. I may have to try myself !.

I will need good wireless and with VM router likely placed in attic thus my questions around where (and what) devices I need to ensure same. Tending towards Deco (4 or 5) with ethernet connections. Am actually thinking of the VM Red House service but fear they're Powerline-only merchants !

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

TheDoc wrote: »

Hi Doc

House was just renovated and rewired etc. I asked the electrician to cable everything from the attic to points around the house - twin ethernet & co-ax to each room and CCTV. I haven't organised the attic yet !! and have been looking for "residential cabling" services. I'll need to install a 16-port switch and terminate cables - neatly I hope !. I may have to try myself !.

I will need good wireless and with VM router likely placed in attic thus my questions around where (and what) devices I need to ensure same. Tending towards Deco (4 or 5) with ethernet connections. Am actually thinking of the VM Red House service but fear they're Powerline-only merchants !

Terminate the room cables to a patch panel, then cable the panel to your switch, much neater job

Advertisement