Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I suppose Bryson's advantage is negated somewhat by the fact that there's no thick rough to bludgeon the ball out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

El Sueño wrote: »
    I suppose Bryson's advantage is negated somewhat by the fact that there's no thick rough to bludgeon the ball out of.

Just soft mud, only has to find it first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

El Sueño wrote: »

Not sure if you've heard.
    But he's a scientist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Mushy wrote: »
    In comparison to that chip on 10...likely be another bogey cos of it! Gas if he missed the cut now...lucky for him it's not a par 67

I do hope that he makes the cut.

I feel he's in that Rory situation now where people are only waiting in the wings to delight in his failures.

Perhaps he's making some tactical errors here but he's shown an ability to dominate in a major so I have no doubts he'll figure how to make himself very competitive at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Looking like 60+ for start tomorrow. I am thinking they will need to use two teeboxes tomorrow again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I do hope that he makes the cut.

I feel he's in that Rory situation now where people are only waiting in the wings to delight in his failures.

Perhaps he's making some tactical errors here but he's shown an ability to dominate in a major so I have no doubts he'll figure how to make himself very competitive at Augusta.

Oh I'm not even waiting in the wings! That drive on 13...christ

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Looking like 60+ for start tomorrow. I am thinking they will need to use two teeboxes tomorrow again

It’s a very fluid situation. There’s currently (22:25) 49 players on -1 or better and 12 players are tied 50th on par. So 61 players would make the cut.

But if just one of that 12 gets a birdie, the other 11 go to tied 51st and miss the cut,

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh I'm not even waiting in the wings! That drive on 13...christ

No reference to you whatsoever, I thought the 67 comment was a little tempting of faith.

It’s just when you hear Harmon & even peers like Fitzpatrick, you can tell people are only waiting to criticise him heavily.

Rory is the same, it comes with the territory but at least if Bryson makes the cut, it avoids some headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Likely scenarios:

A) -1 is cut with 50 or so people in

B) Level par is cut with about 60 or so people getting in, likely adding an MDF for the end of the third round to cut it to 50 for the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No reference to you whatsoever, I thought the 67 comment was a little tempting of faith.

It’s just when you hear Harmon & even peers like Fitzpatrick, you can tell people are only waiting to criticise him heavily.

Rory is the same, it comes with the territory but at least if Bryson makes the cut, it avoids some headlines.

He invites it on himself though, like Brooks comments at the last few majors and then he tanked on Sunday. Stay somewhat humble and only a small few will revel in your demise.

Also apart from mcginley I've never gotten the impression from any commentator that they enjoy criticising Rory. Quite the opposite imo, most of them love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is it one of those quirky Augusta things that the commentators have to refer to the course as "The Property"? I'm hearing "The Property" a lot today.

He invites it on himself though, like Brooks comments at the last few majors and then he tanked on Sunday. Stay somewhat humble and only a small few will revel in your demise.

Also apart from mcginley I've never gotten the impression from any commentator that they enjoy criticising Rory. Quite the opposite imo, most of them love him.

I agree a humble confidence is the optimal position you want to be in, DJ/Rahm are good examples.

FWIW, I wasn’t specifically talking about commentators, Rory receives overly harsh criticism from media/public when he doesn’t perform but I totally agree that it can get a little England World Cup when he does well so as I said, it comes with the territory and it breaks both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh didnt take it personally. But when acting like a spoilt child when not getting their way, it cant be a surprise that people will revel in a setback. Media partly to blame too, they blowing him up to be far better than he is which is grating.

As another post said, media dont seem to enjoy criticising Rory, hes far more honest and open. But thatll veer off topic too much.

Shaping up to be a quality weekend, Johnson Rahm Reed Thomas along with a host of other quality players in the mix. Think south America is only continent not represented in the top 10 now, great variety there

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I agree a humble confidence is the optimal position you want to be in, DJ/Rahm are good examples.
    Well I love Brooks' attitude. Tiger was never humble either but he walked the walk so he was entitled to talk the talk. Brooks is similar in that he's won four majors in a short time span and contended so often. He's entitled to believe he's the man and tbh if he wasn't like that he probably wouldn't have won all those majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cracking leaderboard. Can’t wait for the weekend

This has been thoroughly enjoyable. We have a cracking leaderboard and so many in contention. We are getting to see views we've never seen before if Augusta national and not just those drone shots but we're seeing shots come in from angles never shown before.
    Gotta say I don't miss the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

eagle eye wrote: »
    This has been thoroughly enjoyable. We have a cracking leaderboard and so many in contention. We are getting to see views we've never seen before if Augusta national and not just those drone shots but we're seeing shots come in from angles never shown before.
    Gotta say I don't miss the fans.

MASHED POTATOES :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Shane played some nice golf. Could see him get to -2 or -3 by COB on the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Arrogance and insulting to other players more like it. He's built like some 1970 Bulgarian weightlifter with a strained face.
    It's not all about driving the ball into next week - as we saw from him today. Totally erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

De Chambeau looks ridiculous.

• Advertisement

TCM wrote: »
    Arrogance and insulting to other players more like it. He's built like some 1970 Bulgarian weightlifter with a strained face.
    It's not all about driving the ball into next week - as we saw from him today. Totally erratic.

A 63 year old man and a guy who drove the ball an average of 247 yards both scored better than Bryson in the opening days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bryson DeChambeau's 2020 Masters, summed up by Jon Rahm.

Q: Were you involved in the search for Bryson's ball at all?

RAHM: Which one?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

I still think he will make cut and if he gets it to -2 he could still make Top 10 . He is great for the game as he has got people talking and let’s be honest we all love watching him drive off the tee more than any other player .. Anyway I think this could be one of the great masters with so many players playing so well..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

After listening to a more mature interview from Rory there after his round and the bottle he showed I have to say I think he’s actually well in this, he’s trolled me, but he trolled mcginley even worse after his analysis of him on sky and skyportsnews are showing it now on the hour.Unlucky Paul

McGinley deserves credit for saying what he said. The rest of them have been fawning all over him despite his lacklustre performances.
    Maybe the criticism is what he needed to wind him up and get him going. If that's the case he should be thanking McGinley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

anyone know what time they are back underway?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know he was unlucky, but you can't just lash a golf ball around a major, with no fans you lose a ball.

I do actually like what Bryson is doing , but for all his talk. It was all a bit brainless and all over the shop.

He will probably learn from this and dial it back and shoot low today.

He needs to dial everything back a bit , that much focus on him not good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Happy4all wrote: »
    anyone know what time they are back underway?

I assume it will be the same as yesterday . Sunrise is at about 6.30 am local tome. So they should get play started by 7.30am, (12.30 here).
    I think they will struggle to get round 3 finished today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think they will struggle to get round 3 finished today.

Even with just 50-odd players?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    McGinley deserves credit for saying what he said. The rest of them have been fawning all over him despite his lacklustre performances.
    Maybe the criticism is what he needed to wind him up and get him going. If that's the case he should be thanking McGinley.

I suspect McIlroy doesn't care too much about what McGinley thinks of him.

I can't imagine the comments of McGinley are what got him going. Would he even have heard them prior to heading back out?

Advertisement