Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Even with just 50-odd players?

If the cut is level par there could be as many as 60. They would have to get everyone on the course for round 3 by 12.30 local time to have any hope of having everyone finished before dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

For a player on -3 to make a move (Rory McIlroy 27th at 36) he needs the players on -8 and -9 to shoot 70 or more in the 3rd round.
    If a few of the 18 players on -6,-7,-8,-9 has a -3 in their 3rd round, those on -3 now have little chance.

I looked up the stats on masters.com
    Seven times players have won from 6 back at 36 holes (and one from 8 back in 1956, from 7th at 36 holes).

Winners from 6 back at halfway
    2011 Charl Schwartzel shot final rounds 68, 66 (from 12th at 36)
    2005 Tiger Woods shot 65, 71 (from 3rd)
    1986 Jack Nicklaus shot 69, 65 (from 17th)
    1985 Bernhard Langer shot 68, 68 (from 25th)
    1979 Fuzzy Zoeller shot 69, 70 (from 12th)
    1959 Art Wall shot 71, 66 (from 21st)
    1936 Horton Smith shot 68, 72 (from 4th)

My guess is McIlroy needs a 66 in the 3rd round to even get into contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

My guess is McIlroy needs a 66 in the 3rd round to even get into contention.[/QUOTE]

That shouldn't be too difficult on a Par 67 course

Happy4all wrote: »
    But he is no Bryson. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

For a player on -3 to make a move (Rory McIlroy 27th at 36) he needs the players on -8 and -9 to shoot 70 or more in the 3rd round.
    If a few of the 18 players on -6,-7,-8,-9 has a -3 in their 3rd round, those on -3 now have little chance.

I looked up the stats on masters.com
    Seven times players have won from 6 back at 36 holes (and one from 8 back in 1956, from 7th at 36 holes).

Winners from 6 back at halfway
    2011 Charl Schwartzel shot final rounds 68, 66 (from 12th at 36)
    2005 Tiger Woods shot 65, 71 (from 3rd)
    1986 Jack Nicklaus shot 69, 65 (from 17th)
    1959 Art Wall shot 71, 66 (from 21st)
    1936 Horton Smith shot 68, 72 (from 4th)

My guess is McIlroy needs a 66 in the 3rd round to even get into contention.

I remember Jack Nicklaus saying in an interview a few years ago that when coming from behind it is far more important how many players are between you and the lead than how many shots are between you and the lead.
    In Rory’s case there are 22 players between him and the lead. They are not all going to play badly.

• Advertisement

A little collapse helps.

1985 Curtis Strange led by 3 strokes with 6 to play
    1979 Ed Sneed was four shots ahead of Zoeller with three holes to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I remember Jack Nicklaus saying in an interview a few years ago that when coming from behind it is far more important how many players are between you and the lead than how many shots are between you and the lead.
    In Rory’s case there are 22 players between him and the lead. They are not all going to play badly.

That's a good point, also worth noting the quality of player between him and the lead, most notably at the top.

JT, Rahm, DJ, Tiger & Koepka all to contend with which makes the task infinitely more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

De Chambeau looks ridiculous.

I can’t see how he will stay healthy swinging as violently as he does. There’s got to be a limit that the body can take.

The worry as well now is that there will be copycats trying to keep up in the arms (and shoulders) race.

Aside from that, his stance over the ball is like a silverback gorilla and nothing you’d want to see emulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Happy4all wrote:
    It's not going to be as friendly for round 3.

Rory McIlroy is further back.
    Corey Connors was tied with Rory on -3, but went birdie, birdie to finish his second round on -5.
    Jon Rahm could easily go to -10 or better for 36 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rahm got a "a flyer from the fairway" there. Also known as a bad shot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Now 51 on cut, Dechambeau is motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

El Sueño wrote: »
    Rahm got a "a flyer from the fairway" there. Also known as a bad shot

One of us, one of us.

Dechambeau at -2 now so will be on there later today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

The delay on Thursday has worked out pretty well in that there's much more of it on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Yes, as mentioned above, it's the number of players at 7,8, and 9 under that will make it difficult for someone to charge up the leaderboard.

In previous years, you could be 5 or 6 shots behind the leader but still be in the top 10. Completely different this year

Personally, I think from 5 under is the furthest back someone could have a realistic chance of winning this, and even that is pushing it a bit.

As McIlroy has been mentioned a few times, he could shoot 66, 66 for example, and still not win.

nice chip Shane

Lowry, wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Fantastic from Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bit of trivia, I didn’t know that Masters winners are not allowed to keep their green jackets, they have to be returned the day before the Masters starts the following year. I am watching Curb your Enthusiasm box set at the moment and in one episode he goes to Gary Players house where his green jacket is mounted in a display case, the players must have to have copies made themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looks like Rahm realises that one more birdie puts him leading on his own in the Masters and he's suddenly hitting poor shots.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Looks like Rahm realises that one more birdie puts him leading on his own in the Masters and he's suddenly hitting poor shots.

I'm not sure I buy that much pressure exists to lead after round 2 for someone like Rahm. He called a mud ball on his 2nd shot.

He'll likely be in the final few pairings irrespective of an outright lead so I can't envisage pressure being much a contributing factor right now.

Perhaps if faced with the same situation tomorrow but not today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not sure I buy that much pressure exists to lead after round 2 for someone like Rahm. He called a mud ball on his 2nd shot.

He'll likely be in the final few pairings irrespective of an outright lead so I can't envisage pressure being much a contributing factor right now.

Perhaps if faced with the same situation tomorrow but not today.

He also called a flyer from the middle of the fairway, is he one of those who has never hit a bad shot of his own doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dav010 wrote: »
    Bit of trivia, I didn’t know that Masters winners are not allowed to keep their green jackets, they have to be returned the day before the Masters starts the following year. I am watching Curb your Enthusiasm box set at the moment and in one episode he goes to Gary Players house where his green jacket is mounted in a display case, the players must have to have copies made themselves.

only reigning masters champion green jacket is allowed to leave the clubhouse, the rest are stored on site in each of the champions locker.

Players dont own them they are loaned to the players, Augusta owns them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

AdamD wrote: »
    He also called a flyer from the middle of the fairway, is he one of those who has never hit a bad shot of his own doing?

He also blamed the wind for hitting a loose one on 16

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Here comes Mr. Reed to spoil proceedings

AdamD wrote: »

Lol, I never remotely suggested that his play was flawless. I just repeated what he said.

I simply don't see a major difference in the pressure of leading outright after 2 rounds opposed to co-leader after 2 rounds.

I just don't envisage pressure is a major factor right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

eagle eye wrote: »

Said it multiple times the last couple of years.

Contrary to popular belief, Rahm does not like a dogfight.

Far better coming from way behind on the last day or else absolutely blitzing the field.

Deschamp making a mess of 18

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Happy4all wrote: »
    Deschamp making a mess of 18

What a terrible terrible chip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭castor 1

irishgeo wrote: »
    only reigning masters champion green jacket is allowed to leave the clubhouse, the rest are stored on site in each of the champions locker.

Players dont own them they are loaned to the players, Augusta owns them.

Gary Player won the The Masters in 1961 he became the first international winner and took the jacket home with him to South Africa. When Player then returned to Augusta National in 1962 he forgot to bring the jacket back, later telling Augusta National Director Clifford Roberts “Well, you can come and fetch it.” Player still has that jacket at home, but agreed to never wear it in public.

From ‘Golf Monthly’

Advertisement