Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

For me it's just his whole attitude to the game.He thinks by building up his body to look like a weightlifter he can out drive and outplay everyone else on the course.I just think it's pathetic.Also his remarks about seeing Augusta National as a par 67 course because of how far he can hit the ball. This whole scientific approach and attitude to the game is bizzare.

Thanks. But is Dustin Johnson, Rory Mcilroy etc not doing the whole weights thing too......or are they just less vocal about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

For me it's just his whole attitude to the game.He thinks by building up his body to look like a weightlifter he can out drive and outplay everyone else on the course.I just think it's pathetic.Also his remarks about seeing Augusta National as a par 67 course because of how far he can hit the ball. This whole scientific approach and attitude to the game is bizzare.

People seem quick to conclude that Bryson's approach is inauspicious because he had a poor showing at The Masters.

It was only a matter of months ago that he blew the field away at the US Open on a tougher course using the same methodology.

This approach is still in it's relative infancy but I think his success at the US Open gives us far more insight than his failure at the Masters.

The method may not work every time and regardless of one's personal opinion of it, he has shown the ability to win emphatically using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭munster87

Only 143 days to the Masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

munster87 wrote: »
    Only 143 days to the Masters!

See if we can keep this going everyday until April :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks. But is Dustin Johnson, Rory Mcilroy etc not doing the whole weights thing too......or are they just less vocal about it.

Bryson seems to have bulked up to give himself a more competitive edge, nothing wrong with that at all. The media banging on about it is irritating, but that isnt his fault. There are many examples of him on the course being quite unlikeable, and I dont put it all down to cockiness. Which is then another reason not to like him, and he managed to go further than falling flat on his face this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Id actually like to see DJ go on and win the other two majors and get himself the grand slam, it'd be fitting for a player of his quality.

Crazy he's only got 2 majors so far, huge underachievement for a player of his talent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

While you might not like Bryson as a person (hands up who on here knows him?!) knocking him for bulking up is crazy. He tried something and has had great success with it, sure it didnt work out this week, but the same is true for 50% of the field!

Rory did another Rory and stormed up the leaderboard when it was all over. Its a shocking state of affairs for a golfer where they freely admit that they struggle to hit anything less than a full shot, thats pretty basic stuff right there.

DJ is far and away the best in the world right now and I hope he goes on to dominate in more majors, his game deserves it (and he could have had another one but for a stairs related incident!)

Tigers back 9 was incredible, drop the 10 and he was well up the leaderboard.

Final word for Bernhard Langer, amazing performance to walk that distance, play 4 days in a row for the first time in forever, 18+ holes some days, hit 3 woods into par 4s and still come away under par and inside the top 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Big props to DJ but my player of the tournament is Koepka tbh.

For a man that had played such little Golf over the last few months he played unreal.

Can’t wait to see what the next few years have in store for him if he stays fit.

callaway92 wrote: »

For a man that had played such little Golf over the last few months he played unreal.

Can’t wait to see what the next few years have in store for him if he stays fit.

Sunjae Im for me, POY on Web.com Tour in 2018, ROY on PGA tour in 2019, winner on PGA Tour in 2020.

2nd place in the Masters first time out all at the age of 22, not quite as young as Wolff but younger than Morikawa & Hovland.

Apparently his work ethic is off the charts too, I expect we'll see plenty more of him.

callaway92 wrote: »

I think we could see Koepka and DJ battle it out for years like Jack and Tom.
    Would be great to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

GreeBo wrote: »
    While you might not like Bryson as a person (hands up who on here knows him?!) knocking him for bulking up is crazy. He tried something and has had great success with it, sure it didnt work out this week, but the same is true for 50% of the field!

Rory did another Rory and stormed up the leaderboard when it was all over. Its a shocking state of affairs for a golfer where they freely admit that they struggle to hit anything less than a full shot, thats pretty basic stuff right there.

hi, what do you mean by the above?

I think we could see Koepka and DJ battle it out for years like Jack and Tom.
    Would be great to watch.

DJ is playing fantastic and well deserved that victory lbut the above scenario wont happen.

The gap between Jack & Tom vs the field was far greater than the gap between DJ & Brooks vs the field.

Additionally DJ is 36 and this is only his 2nd major perhaps the floodgates will open but I'm pessimistic that they will.

Perhaps some great rivalry will come around that mirrors Jack & Tom but I dont think it'll be between DJ & Brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

Bryson is extremely dis-likeable and always has in my opinion long before his bodybuilder phase. He plays slow, he over analyses, the whole same length shaft thing is silly, he talks a lot of rubbish and so on. Kopkea is another I have absolutely no time for, his interview yesterday was a pain to listen to, no respect at all for the tournament (though I've disliked his arrogance since he came on the scene not based on yesterday).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

the whole same length shaft thing is silly, .

I agree with everything except this.

I always wondered if golf was always played with the same length club with different lofts, and a player came to the game and said, Not only do you need a different loft, you also need a different size shaft.

How many people would laugh at him & say sure you'll keep topping if your not used to shaft length..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

They are less vocal, of course they have to keep fit and look after their bodies, but they look normal compared to DeChambeau. Also his belittling of one the most famous courses in the World just stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They are less vocal, of course they have to keep fit and look after their bodies, but they look normal compared to DeChambeau. Also his belittling of one the most famous courses in the World just stinks.

And then there's the mini tantrums, stamping his putter hard on the green is a regular thing, throwing clubs.

And on top of that he is so slow.

Too many things not to like about him.

hi, what do you mean by the above?

He has said (more than once if memory serves) this week that basically when he tries to take something off it he loses control of it (left, right, long short)

I've said it before also, his game seems to be aimed around swinging flat out, which is great, but <50% of golf shots are hit at full pelt. As a top golfer you need to be able to hit multiple distance with the same club, if you cant then you will only win when you get lucky and have more full shots than partial shots, its no way to dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

He has said (more than once if memory serves) this week that basically when he tries to take something off it he loses control of it (left, right, long short)

I've said it before also, his game seems to be aimed around swinging flat out, which is great, but <50% of golf shots are hit at full pelt. As a top golfer you need to be able to hit multiple distance with the same club, if you cant then you will only win when you get lucky and have more full shots than partial shots, its no way to dominate.

I have the exact same problem. I see a lot of similarities with us from a golfing sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

blue note wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. I see a lot of similarities with us from a golfing sense.

Me too, but we're only discussing top top golfers here. The real top 1%.

blue note wrote: »

Unfortunately for him, so does he! :D
    You often hear Bryson talking about specific times corresponding to the length of backswing used to control distance, I think the majority of players (including am's) work this way but McIlroy seems to struggle with it.
    To me that implies that he is relying a huge amount on timing which isn't a good place to be imo.

Its funny to think that he has only 1 more major than Harrington.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately for him, so does he! :D
    You often hear Bryson talking about specific times corresponding to the length of backswing used to control distance, I think the majority of players (including am's) work this way but McIlroy seems to struggle with it.
    To me that implies that he is relying a huge amount on timing which isn't a good place to be imo.

Its funny to think that he has only 1 more major than Harrington.

Almost as funny-at least to me- that DJ can now say he's an accomplished in Majors as Martin Kaymer who he's the same age as.

Almost as funny-at least to me- that DJ can now say he's an accomplished in Majors as Martin Kaymer who he's the same age as.

100%, but who would you rather be: the guy who has just started winning them or the guy who hasnt won one in forever?

Kaymer won one as recently as Rory did, theres another funny stat!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

I think its worth mentioning the depth of field in golf at the moment.

A lot of 300+ yard bombers between the age of 20 and 35.
    Play with little or no fear.
    No major weaknesses.

For example:
    Keopka, Rory, Fowler, JT, Rahm, Rose, Garcia, Reed, Cantlay, Morikawa, Wolfe, Champ, DJ, Schauffle, Simpson, Bryson, Fleetwood, Finau, Hediki, Cameron Smith, Lowry, Woodland.

and there are many more ouside of that...

not all fall into the exact age bracket, but the worlds top 75 on their day could probably win a major.

Even the guy who won low amateur at the masters, he performed and spoke like a pro of 10 years FFS....

The talent is scary.

Conclusion: We are too hard on Rory - I'm sure he will pick up a few more majors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

100%, but who would you rather be: the guy who has just started winning them or the guy who hasnt won one in forever?

Kaymer won one as recently as Rory did, theres another funny stat!

The number of ‘majors’ that any golfer wins is often down to luck. Sometimes a major is won or lost on someone having, or not having, an outrageous slice of luck. Many majors are won by players who have not won much else but who just have a purple patch at the right time combined with a bit of good fortune.
    Many of the best players in the history of the game may not have won many majors but have won many other tournaments.
    There are, of course, a few players who were so much better than most other players of their day that luck was virtually a non-factor, (I.E. Woods, Nicklaus, Palmer). Otherwise its mostly down to being in the right form at the right time........and some help from Lady Luck.
    I think the best way to compare players is by the number of tournaments that they have won overall.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The number of ‘majors’ that any golfer wins is often down to luck. Sometimes a major is won or lost on someone having, or not having, an outrageous slice of luck. Many majors are won by players who have not won much else but who just have a purple patch at the right time combined with a bit of good fortune.
    I think a lot of that is down to us as humans ascribing more weight to luck on the back 9 on Sunday and forgetting about the luck on Thursday morning.
    Golf is all about purple patches, thats how anyone wins anything, you play well for the majority of that tournament, it doesnt matter if you play crap right before and right after.
    Many of the best players in the history of the game may not have won many majors but have won many other tournaments.
    There are, of course, a few players who were so much better than most other players of their day that luck was virtually a non-factor, (I.E. Woods, Nicklaus, Palmer). Otherwise its mostly down to being in the right form at the right time........and some help from Lady Luck.
    I think the best way to compare players is by the number of tournaments that they have won overall.

If its down to luck for the majors then isnt it also down to luck for all the regular tournaments also? And since there are far more of them than majors, you dont need as much luck to pick up some tournament wins?

I think 95% of the time there is luck involved in winning anything, the other 5% of the time is when someone just plays great golf and dominates the field by 3+ strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I like Bryson. A breath of fresh air. Why are people attacking the guy for hitting it long? I don't get it.

Sure he's cocky, but I find that funny. The par 67 comment was clearly ridiculous and hilarious in equal measure. He's very analytical, that's how he rolls. He has a bit of a hot head at times, again a bit funny for me.

He is not nearly as slow as he was a couple of seasons back. After a lot of criticism, he made an effort to speed up and he has done that.

Also, he has a lot more to his game than long hitting. His touch around the green is amazing when he is on form.

DJ, while obviously a fantastically consistent and excellent player, for me he lacks a bit of personality. My SO calls him "the machine".

Bryson is the Alex Higgins of modern golf. Golf is better with him than without him. Long live Bryson.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GreeBo wrote:
    I think 95% of the time there is luck involved in winning anything, the other 5% of the time is when someone just plays great golf and dominates the field by 3+ strokes.
    Dustin Johnson has four wins and three runner-up finishes, including losing a playoff, since lockdown. That's out of the thirteen tournaments he has played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

I like Bryson. A breath of fresh air. Why are people attacking the guy for hitting it long? I don't get it.

Sure he's cocky, but I find that funny. The par 67 comment was clearly ridiculous and hilarious in equal measure. He's very analytical, that's how he rolls. He has a bit of a hot head at times, again a bit funny for me.

He is not nearly as slow as he was a couple of seasons back. After a lot of criticism, he made an effort to speed up and he has done that.

Also, he has a lot more to his game than long hitting. His touch around the green is amazing when he is on form.

DJ, while obviously a fantastically consistent and excellent player, for me he lacks a bit of personality. My SO calls him "the machine".

Bryson is the Alex Higgins of modern golf. Golf is better with him than without him. Long live Bryson.

I can't see that his green books and incessant checks and re-checks bring any fresh air to golf. It's actually infuriating to watch. I do like see him bomb it from the tee but that 's when the fun stops with Bryson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Bryson Dechambeau: 27 years old. 340 yards avg. driving distance.

Bernhard Langer: 63 years old. 260 yards avg. driving distance.

And Langer finishes ahead of Dechambeau in the Masters, of all majors! After all his sh1te talk. Absolutely love to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

The guy blamed the caddy’s for slow play.

The same guy took 4 mins to miss a 10-foot put in Germany a couple of years back. The same tournament i believe he gave a half-hearted handshake to the eventual winner on the 18th green.

The same guy wanted a free drop recently over ants being near his ball.

The same guy questioned and sulked at a rules official in the last few months when he hit the ball OOB and the ruling was clear that the main poles were the OOB line, not the fence.

The same guy asked a rules official the other day, "if we can't find the ball, that’s a lost ball right"

He's a clown that is used to getting things his own way and throws his toys out of the pram when things go bad.

I'm all for characters in the game but he's a real piece of work.

Advertisement