Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Could be a lot of players worried about how tight the leaderboard is.

They've changed the cut criteria this year to just the top 50 & ties.

Usually they also allow top 50 & ties and anyone within 10 shots of the lead.

They've dropped the 10 shot criteria this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Getting dark there now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Klaxon just gone, packing it in for the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Sugrue, what a shocker of a putt

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Sugrue, what a shocker of a putt

Interesting that he took his and the other two then left theirs until tomorrow, must have been pretty dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just catching up on the last hour of play.

What an awful shot by Rory into 10. Last place you want to put it. Very stupid error. All the space to the left of the flag when he knows the hooter is going to go.

JT could be the man to set a big target after 36. Back 9 to play this morning and then straight out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

This tournament might go into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will the guys who have to finish their first round today be at a serious disadvantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Will the guys who have to finish their first round today be at a serious disadvantage?

I think you could argue it either way. On one hand the greens could be a lot faster today assuming there wasn't a lot of overnight rain. On the other hand you might say that some of them get 2 attempts at some holes on the same day so will have a good feel for greens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

This tournament might go into next week.

Weather is set fair for the rest of the week. It will finish on Sunday, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Great to hear peter allis on bbc last night

• Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So I was there yesterday watching Matt Kuchar and I remembered watching him on his Master's debut as an amateur and thinking at how young he looked, he was playing with Tiger.
    So I'm looking at him yesterday and I'm feeling very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

On masters.com
    "you are all caught up" to tell you the video you are viewing is up-to-date. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

McIlroy is frustrating to watch. His woods and putting is decent but his irons are really letting him down.

Edit: Commentators curse, he just drove one ob left on the 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rory already forcing it and has lost a ball on 13. Mental game is just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Great to hear peter allis on bbc last night

He is still wonderful at 89 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

AdamD wrote: »
    Rory already forcing it and has lost a ball on 13. Mental game is just awful

Shocking drive. Meanwhile Langer a joy to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And the first bad tee shot Rory hits is an absolute shocker.

Had been driving very well but rest of game was very poor. Early weekend for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

McIlroy has shot himself out of it already.

Could be a Tyrrell meltdown after that shot to 15 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rory really needs a manager to knock him into shape.
    This thing of having your buddy on the bag is a bad idea. You need a top class caddy whose not afraid to tell you they don't like your club selection and who can help you read greens at a high level.
    It appears to me that Rory likes his little comforts too much and just doesn't have the hunger he used to have.
    He really needs somebody to start running the show and get him back to his best. It's very clear the talent is still there.

The fact mcilroy started using butch a week before the masters said it all, tweaks take time to set in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

eagle eye wrote: »
    Rory really needs a manager to knock him into shape.
    This thing of having your buddy on the bag is a bad idea. You need a top class caddy whose not afraid to tell you they don't like your club selection and who can help you read greens at a high level.
    It appears to me that Rory likes his little comforts too much and just doesn't have the hunger he used to have.
    He really needs somebody to start running the show and get him back to his best. It's very clear the talent is still there.
    This always crops up, Rory is one the best drivers of the ball in golf. He took driver off 13 and hit a bad one, it happens to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Keano wrote: »
    This always crops up, Rory is one the best drivers of the ball in golf. He took driver off 13 and hit a bad one, it happens to them all.

To be fair Keano, he missed the first green from 165yrds and the second green from 30yrds yesterday, I don’t think the focus is on one bad drive.

How is the course today is it still wet ? Greens still plugging?

He does need a kick up the hole though. Looks like he’s just going through the motions here. Needs a “you’re Rory ****ing McIlroy” type chat. The Butch thing is a moot point IMO, just smacks of desperation cause Bannon can’t get to the states.

Horrendous break for Scott there.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Followed up with another bad one on 14 and looked like a rushed chip for another bogey.

I've always defended Rory but he needs to change up something and I would definitely start with the caddie.

I hope he finishes well and bounces back this afternoon. Conditions seemed perfect for him but he is one of the only 'top' players over par at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Some two putt from DJ on 14, must've been over 100 feet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

frink wrote: »
    Followed up with another bad one on 14 and looked like a rushed chip for another bogey.

I've always defended Rory but he needs to change up something and I would definitely start with the caddie.

I hope he finishes well and bounces back this afternoon. Conditions seemed perfect for him but he is one of the only 'top' players over par at the moment
    Why not start with the coach? His game has gone off the boil and the one thing that hasn't changes is Bannon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why not start with the coach? His game has gone off the boil and the one thing that hasn't changes is Bannon?

He should move to Butch permanently, surely Bannon should've improved the wedge game somewhat by now

Advertisement