Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire / Monkstown Farm / Sallynoggin

Options
  • 09-11-2020 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

We are planning to buy a house and are considering a few locations:

1) Monkstown Farm - Oliver Plunkett Avenue

I know that there are post-council houses in this area but I was advised that mostly they are now occupied by private owners.

Would you be able to share with me any thoughts on this particular area/street, please?

I'm a little bit concerned by the following things:

- when walking through the Oliver Plunkett Avenue (from Oliver Plunkett Road - through Oliver Plunkett Avenue - to Monkstown Avenue), there is a big football pitch and on the left the travelers site (halting bay) at Monkstown Square

- I heard that these 2 areas are not safe: Dunedin and the social housing at Fitzgerald Park and St Patrick's Crescent in general - they are a little bit far away from Oliver Plunkett Avenue but it's still a short walking distance

- is there any particular location in Monkstown Farm you would rather avoid?

- is there any particular location in Monkstown Farm you would really recommend?

2) Sallynoggin Rollins Villas

We heard different opinions that it’s really OK but also completely different ones that it is not the nicest with a lot of social housing around.

Is it safe/quiet?

Is there any anti-social behavior in the streets/shops?

We only heard the following:

- it might be drug related
    - Woodpark is closed to Rollins Villas (there is a halting / traveler site)
    - lots of council houses

3) Re: Dun Laoghaire area in general:

Which areas would you recommend and which are better to be avoided?
    If you can advise me on the particular streets/roads/estates, this would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Jackie S wrote: »
    Hello,

We are planning to buy a house and are considering a few locations:

1) Monkstown Farm - Oliver Plunkett Avenue

I know that there are post-council houses in this area but I was advised that mostly they are now occupied by private owners.

Would you be able to share with me any thoughts on this particular area/street, please?

I'm a little bit concerned by the following things:

- when walking through the Oliver Plunkett Avenue (from Oliver Plunkett Road - through Oliver Plunkett Avenue - to Monkstown Avenue), there is a big football pitch and on the left the travelers site (halting bay) at Monkstown Square

- I heard that these 2 areas are not safe: Dunedin and the social housing at Fitzgerald Park and St Patrick's Crescent in general - they are a little bit far away from Oliver Plunkett Avenue but it's still a short walking distance

- is there any particular location in Monkstown Farm you would rather avoid?

- is there any particular location in Monkstown Farm you would really recommend?

2) Sallynoggin Rollins Villas

We heard different opinions that it’s really OK but also completely different ones that it is not the nicest with a lot of social housing around.

Is it safe/quiet?

Is there any anti-social behavior in the streets/shops?

We only heard the following:

- it might be drug related
    - Woodpark is closed to Rollins Villas (there is a halting / traveler site)
    - lots of council houses

3) Re: Dun Laoghaire area in general:

Which areas would you recommend and which are better to be avoided?
    If you can advise me on the particular streets/roads/estates, this would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks!

I pass through Rollins Villas once or twice a week on foot and I've never seen anything that's a cause for concern. It's actually very quiet there during the day. I haven't really been there at night. The whole area is all council houses though some of them definitely look like they're privately owned at this stage. I presume you have walked the area?

That halting site is in behind the power city and is pretty small as far as I know. I've barely noticed it to be honest. You have pedestrian access in to Honeypark and all the facilities they have there which is very handy.

Sallynoggin village itself has a fairly industrial feel with a lot of home improvement/building/interiors places and the Aldi and Lidl which have kind of dwarfed every thing else. But I get the impression it's quite a settled community - quite a lot of elderly residents.

I don't know anything about Monkstown Farm and even though I live in Dún Laoghaire I'm not sure what to tell you in terms of places to target/avoid there without more specifics as to where you're looking.

Advertisement