Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Allowance

Options
  • 09-11-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Been looking after a parent for the last 3 years, it's gone to the stage now where dementia is setting in hard. The clocks went back and whammo. full on sundowning, agitated and up all night. Went to the doc and prescribed sleeping pills. Parent needed the maximum dosage and now getting sleep. Agitation begins in earnest now 16:30 daily. Doc reckons parent can take another 6 weeks of full on dosage before changing meds to behaviour alteration and weaning from sleepers.
    Parent will need to go into a home sometime in that time period. My question is how many weeks will my Carers Allowance continue if parent enters a Nursing Home? Also will I be entitle to go onto Jobseekers Allowance after with Credits gained through being a carer. Lets face it, with Covid and all there won't be much out there for a 50 year old with lapsed IT skills. It's crucial I get this right as I've dwindled most of my savings and will need to find alternative accommodation too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Your carers allowance continues to be paid for 12 weeks after either the death of the person you care for or their entry into residential care.

Advertisement