Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can wifi mesh extender be used as a router

• 09-11-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

7 year old netgear router packed in yesterday , just bought a replacement which turns out to be a netgear mesh extender. The sales guy told me it would work when I explained what I needed, but looking at setup instructions it only works off an existing router. Is this correct or should I just remove the packaging, plug it in
    connect to modem and see if it works?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Not enough information.
    Some 'extenders' are multi functional.

What model is it.
    Sales guys are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jeremiah Jobling

It is a netgear nighthawk x6 tri band wifi mesh extender. AC2200 is also noted on box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This?
    https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7700.aspx
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi router or gateway

Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8.0, Firefox® 20 or Safari® 5.1 or Google Chrome 25.0 browsers or higher

Can't work standalone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Take it back and ask to talk to a different sales assistant...
    That's a really expensive mistake and a very specific thing to sell you.

What did you say? Perhaps something in that made him assume you needed an extender?
    Did you use the words "I had a netgear router" anywhere ?!?
    Mustn't have been paying too much attention is more likely.

If you have an issue with coverage, maybe swap it for a mesh system.
    For the same price, TP-Link Deco M4 covers a lot of bases.
    If you're a bit hazy about wifi network equipment this is still likely to give you good results.

Alternatively, and if you're set on buying netgear, you could try something like this NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 1900, Dual-band .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jeremiah Jobling

Thanks NiallB.

When the sales guy suggested that kit i actually did question if it was just a booster type product and he assured it would act as a router also!

Either way, I went back in earlier and exchanged for the netgear r7000 that you also suggested, which I eventually got working after some issue due to the firmware update.

All sorted now, thanks again for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

I dunno, €170 for such outdated router ( r7000 , 2013 release date) it is terrible value I think.
    I rather get the refund and buy something newer on Amazon, possibly Wi Fi 6 enabled or Mesh system altogether.

Advertisement