Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is scripted comedy dead?

• 09-11-2020 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's covid and the hiatus in production right now but if seems like comedy which is not panel or standup based us now almost dead having been in decline for years, certainly on the main channels during peak viewing hours. This thought popped into my head when Maxx seemed to be the only programme to fit the bill on at the moment, along with a rerun of Blackadder starting on BBC One on Friday, I think.

ITV has been wasteland for years bar the odd usually ill-judged attempt but even Channel 4, usually a good source for new comedy hardly has any commissions on it's books. Is chat just the cheaper option for humour now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe it's covid and the hiatus in production right now but if seems like comedy which is not panel or standup based us now almost dead having been in decline for years, certainly on the main channels during peak viewing hours. This thought popped into my head when Maxx seemed to be the only programme to fit the bill on at the moment, along with a rerun of Blackadder starting on BBC One on Friday, I think.

ITV has been wasteland for years bar the odd usually ill-judged attempt but even Channel 4, usually a good source for new comedy hardly has any commissions on it's books. Is chat just the cheaper option for humour now?

I think there's still a fair few 'sitcoms' on the various stations.
    Not all my cup of tea, but here's a few off the top of my head...

BBC have commissioned a few more series of Not Going Out, Motherland III should be ready soon and Ghosts seems to be a major hit. Mitchells and Webbs second series of Back is in post production afaik.

Channel 4 have Statts Lets Flats which the yoof seem to like.

Dave has dipped the toe in a bit with the excellent 'Meet the Richardsons' and new eps of Red Dwarf.
    Gold usually do a few small series each year (Cockfields, SandyLands and the redone Dads Army eps the most recent).

ITV nothing since Benidorm that I know of.

edit : Forgot about Sky.
    I haven't liked much of their recent output but they've had comedy series over the last year centred around Karl Pilkington, the Bake-off women as assasins, and the Arya Stark (Maise Williams?) thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I mean.. Curb your Enthusiasm is still great.

Advertisement