Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calendar month definition?

Options
  • 09-11-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Under the Drugs Payment Scheme..... if I buy something on the 30th September my new month starts on October 1st or 30 days from the 30th September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Starts October 1st for DPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From the 15th of one month to the 14th of the following could be reckoned as a time span of one month. As happens with the likes of property rental.

But putting 'calendar' into the mix removes any ambiguity - a 'calendar month' means the entire month of January, February etc.

'Calendar year' is similar, it means from Jan 1st to Dec. 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You will have to pay once per calendar month = 12 times per year.
    If you pick up a prescription once per month its all easy.
    However, sometimes it a bit messier.

i.e, if you pick up a months prescription on the 1st of October. If you ask for another month of the same prescription on 30th Oct, you will asked to pay again, as you are picking up Novembers medication. This then means that you pay no more in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

huskerdu wrote: »
    i.e, if you pick up a months prescription on the 1st of October. If you ask for another month of the same prescription on 30th Oct, you will asked to pay again, as you are picking up Novembers medication. This then means that you pay no more in November.

depends on your pharmacy. they can dispense twice in a month without charging you more (Assuming you go over the threshold).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I think it's a bit misleading.

Because of one thing thing or another I ended up spending €124 on Aug 25th and €124 on Sep 22nd. Actually had another €124 but got them along with the 2nd batch in Sept. I thought I could be refunded the 2nd €124 as it was within 28 days (ie a month). I dont think the calendar month thing is made clear. If I had known that I could have held off on my August one until the start of September *thinking face*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think it's a bit misleading.

Because of one thing thing or another I ended up spending €124 on Aug 25th and €124 on Sep 22nd. Actually had another €124 but got them along with the 2nd batch in Sept. I thought I could be refunded the 2nd €124 as it was within 28 days (ie a month). I dont think the calendar month thing is made clear. If I had known that I could have held off on my August one until the start of September *thinking face*

It clearly states Calendar Month and a Calendar Month is a very specific and well defined term.

And you can't get two months worth of drugs and claim a single months allowance.
    for use by yourself and your family in that month

daheff wrote: »
    depends on your pharmacy. they can dispense twice in a month without charging you more (Assuming you go over the threshold).

Not for more than a months worth of the prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not for more than a months worth of the prescription.

absolutely incorrect. Have done this on regular occasions with the pharmacy we use.

Now whether thats how the scheme is supposed to work is a different argument.

daheff wrote: »
    absolutely incorrect. Have done this on regular occasions with the pharmacy we use.

Now whether thats how the scheme is supposed to work is a different argument.

It's not incorrect. Your pharmacist is incorrect. Look at the terms of the scheme and it's quite clear. Your pharmacist did it but don't post that it is the norm or even legal.

Just to clarify, there is a specific allowance to issue two 28 day prescriptions in the same month for the same script; once a year; otherwise you would be left without your drugs at some stage.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It clearly states Calendar Month and a Calendar Month is a very specific and well defined term.

It's really not

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calendar%20month#:~:text=1%20%3A%20one%20of%20the%20months,January%2031%20to%20February%2029)

L1011 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, there is a specific allowance to issue two 28 day prescriptions in the same month for the same script; once a year; otherwise you would be left without your drugs at some stage.

My presciption was separate to what my OH needed. Neither of us are regular drug users! These were for a short time - just 2 or 3 turns at the pharmacy.

Yeah, you can go for as many individual scripts in the same month as needed; the argument above appeared to be about repeat scripts based on an assumption.

Would holding off for multiple days (Aug 25th to Sep 1st) not have been quite a bad idea if you needed the meds?

L1011 wrote: »
    Yeah, you can go for as many individual scripts in the same month as needed; the argument above appeared to be about repeat scripts based on an assumption.

Would holding off for multiple days (Aug 25th to Sep 1st) not have been quite a bad idea if you needed the meds?

They were IVF meds, and I can't recall exactly now but I THINK I would have had enough for a few more days. Obviously I wouldn't have risked not taking meds just to save €124 but it's just something I wasn't aware of with the DPS. A monthly cap should be a monthly cap - regardless of when you purchase but hey, I don't work for the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

On the medical card, I've often ended up getting scripts within the same month - only ever charged the once. Don't know about the DPS though.

Medical card has entirely different rules.

The State is paying for the bulk of the medication cost on MC regardless; whereas on the DPS any potential gaming to push multiple months in to a single month (so as to exceed the limit or avoid another months limit) could transfer a significant cost to the State that they would not otherwise pay.

Advertisement