Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Post Office years?

Options
  • 09-11-2020 11:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Does anyone here know the exact year the small building closed that once house Rush Post and moved into Pick of the Crop and why?

What year did it subsequently move from the back of the Pick of the Crop into the Bird of Paradise?

I'm 29 and remember the old little building being used so definitely in my life. I just don't know exact year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It just so happens......

1PzqqRuh.jpg

Picture is from 1985. I think it moved early 1990's. Leo B should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's only since about 2000 that I've noticed post offices moving into convenience shops. I think it was that it was no longer cost effective or financially viable for someone to run a PO by itself as a standalone business unless it was located in a big town or city. That probably explains the move in Rush to a shop.

All the POs I know from villages in my home county are now part of shops but I remember when they were stand alone businesses previously.

Donabate is a rare example of a post office that went from a building next to Keelings pub to a shop but now is back to a stand alone PO on the main street. Due no doubt to the rapid rise in population there that justified the move.

Personally, I'm not a fan of conducting business (large lodgements/withdrawals/collecting welfare etc) at a PO counter in a small shop while someone behind you is lingering/earwigging as they decide which brand of baked beans they'll select.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

ongarboy wrote: »
    ....Personally, I'm not a fan of conducting business (large lodgements/withdrawals/collecting welfare etc) at a PO counter in a small shop while someone behind you is lingering/earwigging as they decide which brand of baked beans they'll select.

+1

Happily Sutton Post Office is still a standalone P.O. Not only that but the lady who runs it is remarkably pleasant and helpful

( its one of the shops in what was the Superquin S.C. )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For years Swords post office was in the back of Clarke's shop on Main Street and the queues would go right through the shop some days. It was mayhem on children's allowance day back when you had to collect it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

For years Swords post office was in the back of Clarke's shop on Main Street and the queues would go right through the shop some days. It was mayhem on children's allowance day back when you had to collect it in person.

lol, can you imagine that setup in today's Swords!

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    It's only since about 2000 that I've noticed post offices moving into convenience shops. I think it was that it was no longer cost effective or financially viable for someone to run a PO by itself as a standalone business unless it was located in a big town or city....
    I don't know why anyone would want to be a postmaster/mistress. The price that they get to run a PO would be a modest enough wage in itself never mind having to pay staff, rent, utilities, insurance etc. out of it and still try to make a living.
    ...Donabate is a rare example of a post office that went from a building next to Keelings pub...
    Jesus - you're going back a bit there! :)

I don't know why anyone would want to be a postmaster/mistress. The price that they get to run a PO would be a modest enough wage in itself never mind having to pay staff, rent, utilities, insurance etc. out of it and still try to make a living.

Jesus - you're going back a bit there! :)

I lived in Donabate for 6 months in 2001, as far as I remember the PO was next to Keelings around that period? Am I remembering correctly? I rented an apartment near the station in Beverton, nice apartment it was too, though the village hadn't caught up with the massive housing development that had gone on up to that point and was perhaps underserved by amenities!

Inquitus wrote: »
    I lived in Donabate for 6 months in 2001, as far as I remember the PO was next to Keelings around that period? Am I remembering correctly?...
    Now you have me doubting myself! I'm frequenting the area for 30 years and can only recall it being at The Emerald (shop beside train station). Unless it moved temporarily at some point?

Now you have me doubting myself! I'm frequenting the area for 30 years and can only recall it being at The Emerald (shop beside train station). Unless it moved temporarily at some point?

No you are right, it was in the shop by the train station then, you jogged my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In the 80s and earlier, it was next to Keelings in Donabate. It's a beauty salon now but you can see they still have the old letter boxes per Street View below. It moved to Smith's shop after that.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nfHKkcLQGKcGZLJK6

• Advertisement
Advertisement