Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Super Nintendo or buy mini classic

Options
  • 09-11-2020 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Sorry to barge into the forum but we are not big gamers. Years ago I bought my husband an original Super Nintendo. It’s the only console he ever had any interest in. We had a ball with it. Now years later we have smart TVs so connection not working.

So my question is there a way to connect it up or should I just try and find a mini classic instead? Is it worth it?

Don’t want to get switch etc as don’t want the kids to start into those just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You can buy a Composite to HDMI Converter to get it to work on a new tv, you can get one for around €20

Enthusiasts use an Open Source Scan Converter, they cost around €100 but I think you need to mod the console first.

I'm no expert, you'd be best off asking in the retro forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

ShaneU wrote: »
    You can buy a Composite to HDMI Converter to get it to work on a new tv, you can get one for around €20

Enthusiasts use an Open Source Scan Converter, they cost around €100 but I think you need to mod the console first.

I'm no expert, you'd be best off asking in the retro forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Fantastic thanks for the redirect

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

If you come across, a NES/SNES mini, I would still buy it just to have it as it may be harder to track down in a few years.

If you ever upgrade to a switch, you can play a few NES/SNES games if you buy the yearly pass for €20

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, in my experience a Mini console is great but the selection of games is typically leaving a lot wanting and the Snes Mini is no different.
    You can hackit easily, and load a heap of other games on there, but the temptation is always to put too many on board and you end up playing bugger all.
    Better, to my mind, is get the right connection for the existing Snes and pick up the handful of games on the original carts that have some meaning to you both, things you really enjoyed before.
    Buying physical carts gives them more heft, in every sense, and you will play more often and finish more games that way, at least that has been my experience.
    A Snes is a great machine to collect for and most of the great games are easily affordable on Adverts, Ebay or Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, in my experience a Mini console is great but the selection of games is typically leaving a lot wanting and the Snes Mini is no different.
    You can hackit easily, and load a heap of other games on there, but the temptation is always to put too many on board and you end up playing bugger all.
    Better, to my mind, is get the right connection for the existing Snes and pick up the handful of games on the original carts that have some meaning to you both, things you really enjoyed before.
    Buying physical carts gives them more heft, in every sense, and you will play more often and finish more games that way, at least that has been my experience.
    A Snes is a great machine to collect for and most of the great games are easily affordable on Adverts, Ebay or Amazon.

CEX isn't bad for some too, but I have seen conditions ranging from "Never played"-pristine grey to "Clearly this person died from lung cancer and his family traded it in"-yellow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

polydactyl wrote: »
    Sorry to barge into the forum but we are not big gamers. Years ago I bought my husband an original Super Nintendo. It’s the only console he ever had any interest in. We had a ball with it. Now years later we have smart TVs so connection not working.

So my question is there a way to connect it up or should I just try and find a mini classic instead? Is it worth it?

Don’t want to get switch etc as don’t want the kids to start into those just yet.

I like this post. Speaking from personal experience you can go crazy "Keeping up with the Joneses" and never appreciate what you have and it's always better, faster, more. And the stuff ends up never being played and owning you after a while. So, good for you and you family. There is plenty of time.

If you know what games you want to play and they are on the SNES classic, then it could be an option. 2nd hand about 100 quid from CEX with 2 year warranty assuming they are around in 2 years. Or try and get your current SNES working.

Advertisement