Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDOnald's McPlant Range

Options
  • 10-11-2020 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/mcdonald-s-to-introduce-plant-based-burgers-1.4405314

McDonalds have partnered with Beyond to develop a plant-based range, due to launch in 2021.
    McDonald’s said under its McPlant line, it could offer products including burgers, chicken substitutes and breakfast sandwiches, which it expects to test in some markets in 2021.

This is a huge announcement. Are there any mainstream, traditionally meat-based fast food chains left that don't offer a fake meat alternative? Burger King have the Rebel Whopper, KFC have a fake chicken burger, Subway do a meatless marinara. Now the behemoth of McDonald's is offering, not just a burger, but apparently a whole range. What's more and what is a real statement of intent, is that they have partnered with the multi-billion dollar Beyond company.

I think it is fantastic that our tastes are being catered for by the junk food purveyors, offering alternatives to their meat products.

At the same time, I don't think McDonald's own vegan breakfast mcmuffin will be able to hold a candle to Sam's mcmuffin from Vegan Sandwich Co!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Not a fan of McD's really. But this is really great to see! We had tried the kfc burger, that was a bit too dry for my liking and now its not available in any event cos .... covid. The kids will be delighted if this ever comes here, they haven't seen the inside of a Mc'D's in about 5 years! Which in itself isn't a bad thing lol.

I've had the BK equivalent and really liked it. I even prefer it to the normal Whopper. Looking forward to giving one of these a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I've had the BK equivalent and really liked it. I even prefer it to the normal Whopper. Looking forward to giving one of these a try.

Still havent found one yet, No BK here in Waterford. I stopped in to BK in paulstown services on the way to Kildare but they were sold out! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People are flipping out over it on thejournal, it's hilarious. Anything to do with vegans, the greens, or cycling really seem to drive people crazy. 3 comments for the poor woman killed in a hit and run though, by a car, so that's ok!
    I had the BK one, it wasn't bad, but wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Great to have the options. Just helps with being easier to integrate in a mostly non vegan world.

Dominos look like they are going to extend their range to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

It's great that veganism is becoming more mainstream. Anything that reduces perceived barriers to veganism is ultimately a good thing. I'd rather support vegan or small businesses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

People are flipping out over it on thejournal, it's hilarious. Anything to do with vegans, the greens, or cycling really seem to drive people crazy. 3 comments for the poor woman killed in a hit and run though, by a car, so that's ok!
    I had the BK one, it wasn't bad, but wouldn't be rushing back.

I presume the typical pig-headed ignorance of "I don't understand why vegans want to eat meat if they love animals". Such a knuckle-dragger argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭65535

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/mcdonald-s-to-introduce-plant-based-burgers-1.4405314

McDonalds have partnered with Beyond to develop a plant-based range, due to launch in 2021.

I also see that they are using 'Plant' instead of 'Vegan' - the word 'Vegan' seems to be like a red flag to a bull so they have chosen that wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

2https://www.irishtimes...ed-burgers-1.4405314
    65535 wrote: »
    I also see that they are using 'Plant' instead of 'Vegan' - the word 'Vegan' seems to be like a red flag to a bull so they have chosen that wisely.

Saw the journal.ie article earlier and looks it is planned to be launched in selected markets next year.

Apparently its been referred to as a 'plant' based because its also suitable for vegetarians etc. Though McDs may not be using Beyond products
    The restaurant chain has not yet said if it will renew its collaboration with Beyond Meat, only saying it will reach out to third-party suppliers as with all its other products...

Beyond Meat shares plunged on Wall Street on the announcement, down 25% at 10.40pm in electronic exchanges following the close of the New York Stock Exchange.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mcdonalds-mcplant-burger-5261781-Nov2020/

Reckon the comments are fairly normal for the journal tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Will they prepare this range separately from the meat fish and chicken products or will it be cooked with the same oil/fat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

My girlfriend is a vegetarian. We were on holiday in Valencia in January this year just as BK launched the Rebel. I even created a google review of it. I took photos and everything, have a look here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/contrib/113546131018702727029/place/ChIJtflDNhBPYA0RA9JKe2okoQs/@39.4753985,-0.3965465,14z/data=!4m4!1m3!8m2!1e1!2s113546131018702727029

It was only later that we found out they cooked it on the same grill as the meat burgers, she was so disappointed and felt betrayed by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Yeah, they haven't advertised it as vegan for that reason. It was brought in to appease the flexitarians rather than vegans or veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Veggie, vegan or meat eater its good for people to have options. I know a few people who have the Rebel Whopper now over the meat version, they aren't veggies but are aware of the impact of meat consumption and want something different.

I find as a vegan when I go out to eat with people we tend to stick to the same places as we have to go somewhere that caters for me. If more restaurants have vegan or veggie options it can only be a good thing surely? I don't know why people get so incensed over it.

As an aside, the KFC burger is 100% vegan. Cooked separately, vegan mayo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭65535

Well my understanding is that if it is suitable for Vegans then it is suitable for Vegetarians, maybe I'm wrong.
    With regard to them cooking it on the same grill as meat well at least it's a step in the right direction and can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

there are very good practical reasons why Burger king cook the substitute and the meat whoppers on the same equipment. The kitchens in most restaurants would have to be refitted to fit an extra broiler - and then there would be extra costs with purchasing, and running etc.

So they have 2 choices - offer the meat substitute in the existing kitchen format, which allows customers to choose a non meat patty or not carry the burger in most BK's.

now if your aim was to see less animals killed for meat, im pretty sure which of the 2 choices is more palatable. IMO BK were open about that they were doing, and i believe its a good thing.

But i do understand that if you assumed it was vegan patty so i can eat it you might be unpleasantly surprised to learn about how ir is prepared. That is because of an assumption though. The information was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The BK bean burger is baked so that's a vegan option - obviously without the mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

there are very good practical reasons why Burger king cook the substitute and the meat whoppers on the same equipment. The kitchens in most restaurants would have to be refitted to fit an extra broiler - and then there would be extra costs with purchasing, and running etc.

So they have 2 choices - offer the meat substitute in the existing kitchen format, which allows customers to choose a non meat patty or not carry the burger in most BK's.

now if your aim was to see less animals killed for meat, im pretty sure which of the 2 choices is more palatable. IMO BK were open about that they were doing, and i believe its a good thing.

But i do understand that if you assumed it was vegan patty so i can eat it you might be unpleasantly surprised to learn about how ir is prepared. That is because of an assumption though. The information was available.

Well, it was just launched and it was in Spanish...so not quite as easy as if it had been launched at home. Anyway, she really liked the burgers taste, probably because of all the delicious juicy animal fat it was cooked in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It looks awesome.

Great to see a company of this size not afraid to promote all the benefits of a plant based option.

So whether it’s for environmental reasons, health reasons or just plain disgust at the cruelty involved people don’t have to make the big changes they previously had to.

So that’s milk covered with all the cruelty free options we now have.

Meat covered too which was more difficult to replicate than milk but looks to be definitely going in the right direction.

Just cheese now (although I know a lot of people are really happy with some of the cruelty free cheeses available) and you’d imagine we’ll see more progress soon.

Good times ahead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Thread re-opened.

Please note the following update to the charter:
    • Living a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle has often evolved from our belief that farming animals for human consumption, or consumption of animal products, has elements of cruelty or does harm to animals. We appreciate that many farmers make every effort to reduce animal suffering, but the practice of farming animals for human consumption, no matter how well cared for the animals are, goes against our fundamental beliefs. This is our belief system and in this forum that belief can be discussed in a respectful and considerate manner from a vegan and vegetarian point of view. This includes the use of the term "cruelty" in relation to animal farming.

This update supersedes any previous discussion about the term "cruelty free".

Panch18 has been banned for 1 week for ignoring moderator instructions.

As a reminder, report posts you have a problem with. We read all reported posts and decide how to respond. You may not see a response or agree with a decision, but do not drag threads off-topic discussing perceiving gripes or failure of moderation.

I have deleted all the off-topic posts. Anyone who attempts to pull the thread off-topic will receive a forum ban.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

• My girlfriend is quite excited for this. She LOVES McDonald’s & really does miss Big Mac haha. It’ll also be nice not to get a weird stare when I order a Big Mac without the meat patty for her.

Had no idea before this thread that subway & KFC had vegan options! Shame about BK’s but I do understand. Hopefully the McDonald’s launch doesn’t mimic All Day Breakfast and never reach our shores. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

My girlfriend is quite excited for this. She LOVES McDonald’s & really does miss Big Mac haha. It’ll also be nice not to get a weird stare when I order a Big Mac without the meat patty for her.

Had no idea before this thread that subway & KFC had vegan options! Shame about BK’s but I do understand. Hopefully the McDonald’s launch doesn’t mimic All Day Breakfast and never reach our shores. Haha.

Subway meatless meatballs are delicious with vegan cheese and sauce imo. The nearest one to me is half an hours' drive away though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If their Mcplant range is as vile as their Breakfast, NO THANKS.

It's always baffled me how their breakfast is so popular, I can't think of any food item it remotely tastes or looks like, absolutely hideous, this said, I do enjoy a Big Mac :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Dempo1 wrote: »
    If their Mcplant range is as vile as their Breakfast, NO THANKS.

It's always baffled me how their breakfast is so popular, I can't think of any food item it remotely tastes or looks like, absolutely hideous, this said, I do enjoy a Big Mac :)

how dare you I won’t listen to this McMuffin slander sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

how dare you I won’t listen to this McMuffin slander sir.

:) lol, I know, I've tried and tried to like it but my taste buds, having none of it :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Suits me, my meat eating kids love a sneaky Maccy D's on a day out for a treat and my choices are quite limited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I have to say, since going veggie I do miss an auld sausage and egg McMuffin :o:o I'd love a vegan option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I have to say, since going veggie I do miss an auld sausage and egg McMuffin :o:o I'd love a vegan option.

oh it will eventually come.

I'd be interested to see in the future if these restaurants continue partnerships with the likes of Beyond Meat/Quorn or will they develop their own brand. I'd be very surprised if they don't have a team right now attempting to cut out the middle person

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Haha. I looked at the picture of the product above above and tbh thought it looks like all the other fast food McDs sell. And like all the McDonalds stuff - it wouldn't be my cup of tea. Just my 2 cents. And yes I understand people do want to eat these types of foods. And that's fine too

As for McDonalds selling stuff / promoting stuff. They are a mega corporation and imo would flog just about anything. Dont think there's to much real sentiment behind such marketing campaigns..

Regardless of what anyone thinks about different types of foods production - not sure why the reason for the constant refrain of the marketing phrase "cruelty free" tbh. McDs not using this afaik.. it generally refers to testing for cosmetics and shampoos on *live* animals and not foods nor vegan. At best a misnomer tbh. Some information here

https://blog.publicgoods.com/what-does-cruelty-free-actually-mean/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Bigbooty wrote: »
    It's great that veganism is becoming more mainstream. Anything that reduces perceived barriers to veganism is ultimately a good thing. I'd rather support vegan or small businesses though.

It's pretty irritating as a coeliac though, that major companies are so willing to cater for what is essentially a lifestyle choice, while a genuine medical condition such as coeliac disease is not catered for to the same degree. I work in a hospital, and the canteen lists vegan, vegetarian, and halal options, but no gluten free options. This despite the fact that 1/100 Irish people are coeliacs and have no choice but to adhere to a gluten free diet. Even a lot of restaurants that used to have a gluten free section to the menu have replaced it with a vegan section, as they are catering to whatever is the current 'fad' regarding food, regardless of the consequences.

Advertisement