Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish sitcoms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Obvious Green Acres ripoff.

I need a Zsa or Eva Gabor! and an Orson Wellies

The Blizzard of Odd, a programme showing weird tv &movie clips and Gortnaclune- a type of comedy chat show with Pauline mcglynn around 1994

How about Foil Arms & Hogg on the run from Gangsters posing as eco warriors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭George White

Depends on the type of programme. They stopped junking a lot of children's programmes quite early as they wanted to keep repeating them - build up enough for continuous syndication - e.g. Bosco.

For their 40th anniversary, there were a few documentaries which had tantalising clips of old dramas and plays - obviously still existed but RTE had zero interest in marketing or trying to release DVDs which was the optimum time to do in mid 2000s.
    Only the Price has gotten out, and that was because it was one of the first big serials on C4.

I hated Stew but think Paul Tylak is rubbish. AKA Ashti the Kurdish refugee in Fair City.

I remember Molloy but only watched one episode. I was excited as I thought it might be connected to the Beckett novel (and Waiting For Godot was on the Leaving Cert English syllabus for us in the class of ‘89).

I endured Extra! Extra! in the run-up to Christmas 1993. Poor show,

He's a very good vocal mimic, Tylak, but he's often been shunted into "token ethnic" parts a la Burt Kwouk that do him no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Only the Price has gotten out, and that was because it was one of the first big serials on C4.

Where is "The Price" available from, as the only way I've viewed it is on a dire YouTube upload - better than nothing but not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Where is "The Price" available from, as the only way I've viewed it is on a dire YouTube upload - better than nothing but not much.

Simply DVD released it.
    I bought my copy on Amazon when it came out - still there, seems to be from third party sellers only - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Price-Complete-Channel-Drama-DVD/dp/B07B16RGND/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+price+dvd&qid=1605221460&sr=8-1

Not sitcoms but RTE have all sorts of interesting stuff in their archives such as "The Year of the French", "The Burke Enigma" - an early crime series; also "Making the Cut" and "D.D.U". This is a response I got a while back - it's no wonder the organisation is bankrupt between this sort of nonsense and Forbes, Duffy, Tubridy and Darcy's ridiculous fees.

Hi

Unfortunately with most drama programmes there is copyright and legal restrictions, either because it was a co-production and RTE don’t own full copyright or that contract between actors and productions were never settled on.

So unfortunately none of the below are available to purchase as once of copies.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help further.

Exactly - would love to see The Burke Enigma again.

They have trotted out the "contract issues" excuse before - this situation is not unique to Ireland and has not prevented numerous other programmes from the same era being released in UK, USA, Australia etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Langerland TV, if animated ones count. It was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Blizzard of Odd, a programme showing weird tv &movie clips and Gortnaclune- a type of comedy chat show with Pauline mcglynn around 1994

Back in the day that was essential viewing, especially if you did not have "the channels".

• Advertisement

Simply DVD released it.
    I bought my copy on Amazon when it came out - still there, seems to be from third party sellers only - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Price-Complete-Channel-Drama-DVD/dp/B07B16RGND/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+price+dvd&qid=1605221460&sr=8-1

Excellent. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He's a very good vocal mimic, Tylak, but he's often been shunted into "token ethnic" parts a la Burt Kwouk that do him no favours.

To be fair, he does a stand up routine where he pretends to be born and rared in Sri Lanka with a strong accent before he breaks into his normal voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rickydreamboat

There was a show called Newsb@g on TV3 about 5/6 years ago. Animated, in the style of The Life and Times of Tim but based on an office in Dublin. A bit hit and miss to be fair but one character in nearly positive was based on someone I know. Pretty sure Peter Conan voiced some characters in it. Does anyone remember it or know where I can find it? Been searching for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Back in the day that was essential viewing, especially if you did not have "the channels".

Colin Murphy was painful though.

Does Anyone remember a programme that used to be on UTV around 1993 - it was a Northern Irish Saturday morning lchatshow, they had comedy sketches also. Patrick Kielty presented it, I thought it was halirious, wish I could remember the name

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Not sitcoms but RTE have all sorts of interesting stuff in their archives such as "The Year of the French", "The Burke Enigma" - an early crime series; also "Making the Cut" and "D.D.U". This is a response I got a while back - it's no wonder the organisation is bankrupt between this sort of nonsense and Forbes, Duffy, Tubridy and Darcy's ridiculous fees.

Hi

Unfortunately with most drama programmes there is copyright and legal restrictions, either because it was a co-production and RTE don’t own full copyright or that contract between actors and productions were never settled on.

So unfortunately none of the below are available to purchase as once of copies.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help further.

Making The Cut is on YouTube

Exactly - would love to see The Burke Enigma again.

They have trotted out the "contract issues" excuse before - this situation is not unique to Ireland and has not prevented numerous other programmes from the same era being released in UK, USA, Australia etc.

CBC have been the same, as regards to some of their shows, notably the Beachcombers is in similar dire straits.

Piehead wrote: »

Thanks for the heads-up, it's a recent (Sept.2020) upload as there wasn't a trace of it before! :)

Piehead wrote: »

Thanks
    Aspect ratio is odd though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Thanks
    Aspect ratio is odd though

TVs were much smaller back then.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

TVs were much smaller back then.

For 1997, I was expecting a 4:3 presentation with two black bars at the sides but not on top or bottom.

Does anyone remember 'Madigan Men' not sure if it was irish but I think it had Gabriel Byrne in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

saabsaab wrote: »
    Does anyone remember 'Madigan Men' not sure if it was irish but I think it had Gabriel Byrne in it?

That was Oirish-American show from a US network iirc... might have watched first ep and no further.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah, his dad was played by the Channel islands' own Roy Dotrice (dad of Michele), doing a silly Nordie/American-influenced voice, doing his "upmarket Clive Dunn" act, as seen in the likes of Clochemerle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It's pity: in this not-very long thread, we have already run out of Irish sitcoms good, bad, or indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Thought he was perfect for it.

Space Oddity (1982)
    BBC NI sitcom about a space alien, only recalled by a friend, but it did exist. Newspaper listings prove it.
    FEatured JUstin Duff and Ian McElhinney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

El Tarangu wrote: »
    It's pity: in this not-very long thread, we have already run out of Irish sitcoms good, bad, or indifferent.

We are now accepting entries under parentage rules where Irish actors embarrassed themselves. Like the Irish soccer team!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We are now accepting entries under parentage rules where Irish actors embarrassed themselves. Like the Irish soccer team!

Robin's Nest. Late 70's/80's British sitcom which among others stared David Kelly playing the stereotypical stupid Paddy.

Now that I think about it David Kelly seemed to play that character a lot on British TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

ShyMets wrote: »
    Robin's Nest. Late 70's/80's British sitcom which among others stared David Kelly playing the stereotypical stupid Paddy.

Now that I think about it David Kelly seemed to play that character a lot on British TV

Yes he did. See also that terrible sitcom Slingers Day. Bruce Forsyth as a supermarket manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

The late Kenny Lynch, London born singer, comedian and actor was of Caribbean/Irish heritage and appeared
    in an episode of the (very), old BBC sit-com 'Till Death Do Us Part'.

Will this do.

And lets not forget Ardal O'Hanlon in the BBC sitcom, My Hero. Absolute scutter.

Yes he did. See also that terrible sitcom Slingers Day. Bruce Forsyth as a supermarket manager.

I like Slingers Day! Could relate to it as I worked in a supermarket back in the 80s. Time has been kind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

So You Think You've Got Troubles.
    Alf Garnett as a Jew from England who moves to Belfast to run a factory at the height of the troubles. Early 90s, not bad as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Alf Garnett as a Jew from England who moves to Belfast to run a factory at the height of the troubles. Early 90s, not bad as I recall.
    If Im not wrong someone in the shop asked was he a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Or Tyrone players who had to be taught Amhran na bhFiann

He played other nationalities too, including Iranian in Whoops Apocalypse, doing a Welsh accent for some reason.
    He was also a Cockney Jewish tailor in Adam Adamant Lives.

Edgware wrote: »
    If Im not wrong someone in the shop asked was he a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew

Which I believe was based on a genuine incident that happened to costar Harry Towb, allegedly the only Jew ever born in Larne...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

Warren Mitchell played the part of 'Alf Garnett', an old-school racist, in the sitcom 'Till death do Us Part'. The character was a West Ham supporter and would occasionally make antisemitic remarks about Tottenham Hotspur and their historical Jewish connections. The irony is that the late actor Warren Mitchell was, in real life, a Jewish, Spurs supporter!

The series you mentioned, starring Warren Mitchell, 'So you Think You Got Troubles', had one season of just six episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Found him fine on Blizzard, but over the years on panel shows he became very played out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The blizard of odd was a genuinely decent show, the mandarins at rte obviously never originally vetted it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

BPKS wrote: »
    Not a sitcom but The End (?) on a Friday and Saturday night during the mid 90s was a godsend for those of us in 2 channel land who would listen on in jealousy as our posh friends with "the channels" told us of Channel 4 shows they would watch.

Telling our Irish teacher to watch it for the Peig cartoons and almost getting a beating the following Monday after we were told it was sacrilegious was something I wont forget in a hurry.

Sean Moncreiff regularly read out silly letters I used to write to him on that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

mloc123 wrote: »
    Found him fine on Blizzard, but over the years on panel shows he became very played out.

The Blame Game on BBC is a case in point, it's so afraid of offending anyone it's embarrassing

COVID wrote: »
    Warren Mitchell played the part of 'Alf Garnett', an old-school racist, in the sitcom 'Till death do Us Part'. The character was a West Ham supporter and would occasionally make antisemitic remarks about Tottenham Hotspur and their historical Jewish connections. The irony is that the late actor Warren Mitchell was, in real life, a Jewish, Spurs supporter!

The series you mentioned, starring Warren Mitchell, 'So you Think You Got Troubles', had one season of just six episodes.

Doctor Legg from Eastenders was in it too

Does Anyone remember a programme that used to be on UTV around 1993 - it was a Northern Irish Saturday morning lchatshow, they had comedy sketches also. Patrick Kielty presented it, I thought it was halirious, wish I could remember the name

Sus? Kielty and some guy who was on blind date, was quite funny, was on the time the ULF were threatening to kill Daniel O'Donnell if he kept playing to old biddies in the North, Kielty made some very comic comments on the suituation

Did "CU Burn" get mentioned, TG4 comedy from the 90s about an undertaker with a turf fired crematorium was followed up by "Gleann Ceo" about dodgy guard in Doochary,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was watching some Soupy Norman today, forgot how funny it was, love the scene where there's this group of young lads hanging around at a wall and this bald hardman character pulls up and starts antagonising them, they dub it as this fella from Tipperary winding up the Jackeens about how much money he's making :D

Anyone remember Brian Murray in the sitcom Bread. Played the character of Cousin Shifty.

To be fair to Murray he wasn't bad but the character was a little on the Orish side at times

Yes, but that series is extremely unpopular with Scousers, who despise that it made them out as a bunch of scroungers.

Yes, but that series is extremely unpopular with Scousers, who despise that it made them out as a bunch of scroungers.

Reminds me of this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaccLMuLa7o

• Advertisement
Advertisement