Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Turkey & Ham - Where do you buy from?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Usually hit M&S in Sprucefield on the morning of the 23rd, turkey, ham, veg, desserts, the lot.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I always buy a full ham on the bone, it's delicious.

I've never had one! So hoping to rectify that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always buy a full ham on the bone, it's delicious.

Yes, I think, no matter the situation, Ill cook a full ham on the bone. I can always portion it up and share around with family or freeze it.

The fact that I usually get a free ham from a neighbouring business might have something to do with it:D !

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

We’re doing Christmas at home for the first time so we ordered a boned and rolled turkey, ham and a bunch of other things from James Whelans for delivery on the 23rd. I’m absolutely not going near the shops to pick up any food during Christmas week!
    I always get my Turkey, ham and sausage meat from James Whelan in Avoca, Rathcoole. I normally go and collect but like you I won't be going near a shop if I can avoid it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never had one! So hoping to rectify that this year.

It takes less time to bake because the bone conducts the heat, and it tastes like no other ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It takes less time to bake because the bone conducts the heat, and it tastes like no other ham.

I was already getting one but now I'm debating one for the freezer too......:pac:
    So difficult to get bone in pork for the rest of the year, though I've a notiony idea of a bonham or two here next year as I've the land & time to do it. Boardsie pork club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SilentBee

Always local butcher for me. Quality is better and I will always opt for a small family run business than a global supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

We usually order from crowes farm Tipperary.Usually get a box delivered with a turkey, ham, and a breakfast pack. All free range and tastes good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mojesius wrote: »
    We usually order from crowes farm Tipperary.Usually get a box delivered with a turkey, ham, and a breakfast pack. All free range and tastes good!

I goy an organic ham from them one year.
    It came from a pig called Leonard - it was written on the skin in marker!
    I checked with them and, sure enough, Leonard was the name of the pig!!

I bought my frozen turkey in Tesco yesterday. They also have crowns. Personally, I never find a difference between the various turkeys, so have had frozen for the last 10 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I always get my Turkey, ham and sausage meat from James Whelan in Avoca, Rathcoole. I normally go and collect but like you I won't be going near a shop if I can avoid it!

Always had Whelans local growing up so found it hard to get a nice local butcher that could compare, but have to say, in recent years , have eaten Tesco Bronze Free Range Turkey Crown if just ourselves or the M&S version and found them lovely . Also ordered from SuperValu but not recently .
    For ham would buy from a local butcher and cook as per my lovely Mam's recipe and everyone loves it , so generally do two of them .
    Thinking of ordering from Whelan's online this year if they do the same package they did for last year though .
    Great quality and taste and you know its Irish .

Usually boil mine with cider and cloves , and then roast in the oven for 30 to 40 mins to glaze . These would be half hams , bone out .
    How do you cook the big ham with bone in ?
    Is it all in the oven ?
    Thinking of doing that this year instead of two smaller ones .
    Al tips and recipes welcome ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I honey roasted a ham last year for the first time and my goodness, it was spectacular...

And so easy to do, just some honey & golden sugar boiled in a small pan, and then basted over the ham before going into the oven.

I honey roasted a ham last year for the first time and my goodness, it was spectacular...

And so easy to do, just some honey & golden sugar boiled in a small pan, and then basted over the ham before going into the oven.

Agree. I’ve also put slices of pineapple over the glaze and then some more glaze on top, then into the oven. Delish.
    Use cocktail sticks to keep the pineapple on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

L1011 wrote: »
    Local butcher. Order in advance, usually takes a deposit of part of the total and you specify the day you want to collect.

Turkey is - usually, supply dependent - from a farm about 3km away from the butcher. Ham is from a reputable domestic supplier.

Yeh you’d think so. Ordered one from my local butcher last year, think it was somewhere between 50 and 60 euro for a turkey that wasn’t massive either, got it home, to see the sticker on the bag said it was from Poland. So make sure you ask where it’s coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

screamer wrote: »
    Yeh you’d think so. Ordered one from my local butcher last year, think it was somewhere between 50 and 60 euro for a turkey that wasn’t massive either, got it home, to see the sticker on the bag said it was from Poland. So make sure you ask where it’s coming from.

That's really disappointing. For me, the only reason to go to a butchers is to buy irish reared meat. If it's from overseas I can just as eaily buy from any supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

yellow hen wrote: »
    That's really disappointing. For me, the only reason to go to a butchers is to buy irish reared meat. If it's from overseas I can just as eaily buy from any supermarket.

Yeah I stopped buying meat , well chicken, in my butchers as it was coming from Holland. Their Christmas meat is advertised as irish so I still buy Turkey and ham from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Usually boil mine with cider and cloves , and then roast in the oven for 30 to 40 mins to glaze . These would be half hams , bone out .
    How do you cook the big ham with bone in ?
    Is it all in the oven ?
    Thinking of doing that this year instead of two smaller ones .
    Al tips and recipes welcome ;)

Yes I bake it fully. I line my roasting tin with two very long pieces of tinfoil, one going left to right and one going front to back, then place a sheet of baking parchment in top. When I've put the ham in I close over each sheet of tinfoil loosely, leaving a little gap for steam to escape.

I bake it it 180C and it takes usually four to five hours depending on the size. I have a thermometer to check when it reaches the right internal temperature. The rind usually peels off easily when it's fully cooked, so I take that off. Then I cut the remaining fat in a criss-cross pattern and cover it with a mixture of wholegrain mustard, brown sugar and a little honey. It goes back into the oven at 160C for 30-40 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

My kids like cold ham, so I soak it in boiling water, change it twice, no boiling on the stove. Then I pressure cook it I my electric pressure cooker, and in the fridge when done. It is lovely the next day and really soft. If I wanted them I could put honey glaze on top and cook it in the oven, but we’re a bit traditional here, so none of the fancy stuff!

Yes I bake it fully. I line my roasting tin with two very long pieces of tinfoil, one going left to right and one going front to back, then place a sheet of baking parchment in top. When I've put the ham in I close over each sheet of tinfoil loosely, leaving a little gap for steam to escape.

I bake it it 180C and it takes usually four to five hours depending on the size. I have a thermometer to check when it reaches the right internal temperature. The rind usually peels off easily when it's fully cooked, so I take that off. Then I cut the remaining fat in a criss-cross pattern and cover it with a mixture of wholegrain mustard, brown sugar and a little honey. It goes back into the oven at 160C for 30-40 minutes.

Thanks to you for that and all the other posters that have their recipes posted back there :)
    Mine is under boiled 45 mins per kg in water after I have changed the soaking water, with about 5or 6 peppercorns and cloves and a bay leaf and rosemary sprig , a LARGE bottle of BULMERS cider , and some water to cover and topped up during simmering .
    Drain small tin of pineapple rings and save some juice to mix with cup of brown sugar, a good dash of ground mixed spice , and a dollop of honey all to taste . Peel rind off when joint cooled , score fat into diamonds and stud each diamond with cloves . Stick pineapple rings with cocktail sticks , like Maryanne's recipe .Then paste the ham generously with the sticky sugary mix and into a hot oven 200 degrees centigrade uncovered, for 30 to 40 mins depending on size of joint , basting every 10 mins to ensure glaze .
    My family actually prefer this to anything else at Christmas ;)
    This is Darina Allen's mix I think but adapted slightly .
    As I am getting a full ham this year I will do it in the oven completely like you said , thanks .
    Don't like mustard though so would might leave that bit out .

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    My kids like cold ham, so I soak it in boiling water, change it twice, no boiling on the stove. Then I pressure cook it I my electric pressure cooker, and in the fridge when done. It is lovely the next day and really soft. If I wanted them I could put honey glaze on top and cook it in the oven, but we’re a bit traditional here, so none of the fancy stuff!

We love it cold after Christmas day too !

Ps. I cook it Christmas Eve and have the first couple of slices that evening , and glaze it on 25 th usually

We cook it the day before too, and we have cold ham with fried eggs and toast for breakfast every morning until the ham is gone :)

We cook it the day before too, and we have cold ham with fried eggs and toast for breakfast every morning until the ham is gone :)

My sister lives in Manchester. Her English in-laws roast a pork joint Christmas Eve and pour the fat off it into a bowl. This fat is spread on toast for breakfast Christmas morning!

My sister lives in Manchester. Her English in-laws roast a pork joint Christmas Eve and pour the fat off it into a bowl. This fat is spread on toast for breakfast Christmas morning!

:eek:

Don't think I'd fancy that - but it might be one of those things that you have to taste to appreciate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jesus Mary and Joseph, get your sister away from those people.

Jesus Mary and Joseph, get your sister away from those people.

Don’t worry. She used give them bacon and cabbage whenever they visited! A truce was called. She’s no longer offered toast and scrape and they no longer get bacon and cabbage!

Don’t worry. She used give them bacon and cabbage whenever they visited! A truce was called. She’s no longer offered toast and scrape and they no longer get bacon and cabbage!

Bread and scrape was beef dripping in my granny's :)

I make a massive cranberry and BlackBerry and apple cooked with orange and port and we eat it every day with the ham until all gone , yum !
    That is why I usually end up doing two half hams, cos there is murder the day after if someone is looking for the Christmas ham and it's gone.
    This year will be easier , if a bit quieter :/

Advertisement