Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED driver question

Options
  • 10-11-2020 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭

I've had some LED strip running for the last year.
    I can't remember exactly what the power draw was, but I think I cut the strip to be about 90% of the 24W driver rating.

There weren't any problems until a few days ago when it began to flicker and when I opened it up I could see that there were some heat issues.

k2AqyKV.png

Am I right in assuming that I simply had too much load attached to the driver?
    And that if I replace with a 36W driver that there'll be enough headroom because the driver won't be operating so close to its maximum design?

Is it also possible that the length of LED strip I'd cut, drew too much power for the wires that come attached to it?
    I'll be stripping them back a little to remove the burnt cable, but should I consider shortening the LED strip a bit?

Or just suck it and see?
    Tx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The transformer shouldn't burn out like that at 90% load.

It might be that the LED strip is drawing too much power due to a defect or bad wiring. Or the transfomer was defective.

Good transformers are cheap; the only downside of the higher capacity ones is the physical size.

I'd get a quality replacement with a slightly higher rating and monitor the power draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The way that has heated up on the connector block might just mean it was a bad joint or one where the copper had corroded over time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement