Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxgloves

Options
  • 10-11-2020 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I should really know this but...

I ended up with a lovely foxglove in my garden 3-4 years ago, it then self seeded in 4-5 places which was nice and I somehow let the plants grow (presume for 2 years?) as they flowered, autumn/winter 2019, I moved seedlings around to suit me. I am almost certain the bulk of these flowered but think some didn't. Is this possible? This year I collected seeds and and grew them. I have some in the ground maybe 2-3 months with a huge difference in size. Anywhere from 4-8 inches around. I also have tons in pots. Is it too late to put them in the ground?
    If I keep them in the greenhouse until spring and then plant out, will they flower in 2021.

Suppose main question is, with them being biennial, is it;

year 1 seed to seedling, grow on
    year 2 more growing
    year 3 flowering

Apologies for the long spiel, I am veg grower trying to get into getting into flower growing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

They'll flower in year 2 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

okedoke wrote: »
    They'll flower in year 2 afaik

Correct, and they are hardy. (Sometimes they flower the first year)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, they should flower in year 2. The different sizes could be down to different conditions, or some of them could be new plants. We have lots of foxgloves and they are all different sizes.

Advertisement