Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Easy to Mount Road Tyres

Options
  • 10-11-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

I use to run schwalbe ZX tires - they were great - fast rolling, good puncture resistance but best of all you could roll them on and off the rims with your fingers no need for a tyre lever.

I got back into cycling during the lockdown and the old ZXs were worn down completely so I recently treated myself to some schwalbe pro ones (thought they seemed most comparable).

They were an absolute nightmare to mount - so much so I gave up and gave someone money to do it at the weekend.

5km into first ride tonight and I freakishly hit a rock on the road and back tube burst :mad:. 40mins and 2 broken tyre levers later and I gave up and walked home. Another 45mins later in the kitchen (a broken butter knife and another bent lever later) and I finally got one side off but can’t get the other bead off the rim and to be honest I’m done trying.

So now out of pocket for 2 impossible brand new tyres, the weekend fitting costs I need to buy 2 new tyres that aren’t actually a complete PITA(plus pay someone to remove the 2 old ones).

I’d really appreciate recommendations for some good but easy to mount (and dismount tyres) before I decide to give up cycling :pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What wheels are they going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Mavic Kysriums

I wonder are they newish "tubeless" or "tubeless ready" UST mavics?

I've nearly always ridden mavic something or others and have have always been able to put any tyre on without any unnecessary sweating or gnashing of teeth. Only two weeks ago put tan wall schwalbe pro ones on a set of mavic wheels.
    But I did have a pair of ksyrium UST's and I had the problem you're describing. Very hard to mount tyres on at home with access to tools and forget about it out on the side of a road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/review/246667-mavic-ksyrium-elite-ust-wheelset%3famp

If those are your wheels then your best bet is Mavics own matching yksion tubeless tyres cos their designed to go on and off easily. It does mean you're restricted to those tyres obviously and whatever durability etc they provide.

The wheelset is possibly 10 years old or maybe more (barely cycled the last 6).

First time I've ever bought timeless ready tyres and probably the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They'll probably get easier as you use them. That's my experience with Tubeless Ready Gravel Tyres anyway.

If you google fitting "marathon plus tyres" you'll get some tips for difficult to fit tyres.

• Advertisement

Nah they are coming off. Cant be dealing with that at the side of the road. Wasnt even cold or wet thankfully. I still cant even get other half of the bead over the rim.

Not worth the heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

In my own experience, the easiest road tyre to mount is the Pirelli P-Zero.

Excellent tyres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't remember having any issues fitting my Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2. Reasonable weight and seem to hold up well against cuts and gashes compared to the likes of the Durano Plus. Using Campag Zonda wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I’ve never had a problem mounting Michelin pro 4 or Vittoria corsa tyres. On Campag and mavic rims I can use my hands to mount them. I would assume that more supple tires (like the Vittoria and Veloflex) are easier to mount and remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I just remembered - I had a set of Aksiums about 10 years ago, which came with a plastic rim strip which limited access to the full depth of the rim valley. I cut it out and replaced with standard rim tape which allowed for much easier mounting of tyres by pushing the bead deeper into the valley (33 seconds into this video):

https://youtu.be/jRqmuJJJW2o

• Advertisement

Oh ok, you're putting tubeless ready tyres on non tubeless ready rims.

IMO any normal tyre should go on and off normally. Tubeless ready in my experience is a load of ar$e. (as is tubeless, but that's a discussion for another day! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Swear by Schwalbe Pro Ones here, best bang for buck road tyre in my opinion. They go on like butter on standard Aksiums, so it must be the Kysrium UST wheels causing the heartache here.

Surprised you did so well out of a set of Ultremos - I found them a very poor tyre.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Oh ok, you're putting tubeless ready tyres on non tubeless ready rims.

IMO any normal tyre should go on and off normally. Tubeless ready in my experience is a load of ar$e. (as is tubeless, but that's a discussion for another day! :))

Yep turns out that's the issue. Took the bike to Richies in Swords this afternoon and he sorted it out - tubeless tyres off, new Vittoria Rubino on and all sorted in 30mins. Great service, means I can get out tomorrow morning.

He said exactly what you said above. I'd literally no idea it would be an issue as last time I bought tyres (7/8 years ago) it was all just standard rims and regular clincher tyres. As it said they could be used with tubes I just took it theyd mount fine.

Wont buy and tubeless ready tyres again!

Anyway sorted now. Well just need to sell 2 scwalbe pro ones with 4.6km on them :pac:

Advertisement