Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink back in the sight.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a quick side note, more so for others information than directed at yourself Slipperyfox, there is no such thing as a vermin list. Not in the 1972, 2000, 2010 Wildlife act or any of the other 18 Acts or 65 SIs related to shooting. So its interesting if AGS are acting as legislature and now defining what vermin actually is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Precisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Are the mink farmers going to allow their Mink to be culled or are they simply just going to open the gates and leave the mink out a they did in the 80's.

Are the mink farmers going to allow their Mink to be culled or are they simply just going to open the gates and leave the mink out a they did in the 80's.

I thought it was "animal rights" people that released the mink back then? Or are there cases of farmers doing this do you know?

I think now it's illegal to release them into the wild because of the harm they can cause other wildlife. I could be mistaken on that though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I thought it was "animal rights" people that released the mink back then? .

The "animal terrorists" done that in 2010. I use the word terrorists because the harm it caused then is still felt today.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I thought it was "animal rights" people that released the mink back then? Or are there cases of farmers doing this do you know?

I think now it's illegal to release them into the wild because of the harm they can cause other wildlife. I could be mistaken on that though.

Highly illegal now under Irish and EU legislation to release the likes of mink or any other non-native species deemed invasive or destructive by the relevant government bodies such as DAFM,NPWS etc.

Cass wrote: »
    The "animal terrorists" done that in 2010. I use the word terrorists because the harm it caused then is still felt today.

That's why I used " " around animal rights. They didn't care about other species when they released them. They have indeed caused a lot of harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

slipperyox wrote: »
    Article about farms,
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/calls-for-irish-minks-to-be-culled-amid-covid-19-concerns-39730573.html

30,000 in the wild.

But since they are not listed as vermin by gardai during level 5,

I guess that's too bad...:p

Vermin control is allowed and they are vermin :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭slipperyox

garyc007 wrote: »
    Vermin control is allowed and they are vermin :confused:

Not according to the garda website.

Just like rough shooting is prohibited.

Tongue in cheek here dude:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

According to the wireless all farm mink, estimate at 100 k in Ireland in 3 farms are to be culled next week due to danish mink having a mutation strain of covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭JP22

Yep, just heard it on the RTE One o-clock news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Did RTE mention that the Danish minister also stepped down , before he was pushed, for issuing an illegal order on this cull in Denmark? .......

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

This was an easy one to call. Wonder will it end up being a different strain, rather than a mutated strain of the virus? Been corona virus in animals, long before thus milarky started

Advertisement