Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Apple Pay & loyalty cards saved to wallet on iPhone

Options
  • 10-11-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Potentially daft question but as I've never used Apple Pay I don't have a clue.

I store my loyalty cards on my phone, rather than carrying around fobs etc. If I set up Apple pay and I go to scan my Tesco Clubcard on my phone at the self-service checkout, will it automatically then pay by Apple Pay? I guess what I'm asking is, is payment taken by Apple Pay every time you put the phone near a checkout? Or do you have to be particularly close for it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

brophs wrote: »
    Hi,

Potentially daft question

What is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

rizzee wrote: »
    What is the question?

I'm building up to it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

The Idea of the wallet app is when u open it and click the card u want it (only then) offers that card through NFC. It doesnt make available every card.

So to answer your question. No it wont pay once you select the correct card and offer it to the terminal

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    The Idea of the wallet app is when u open it and click the card u want it (only then) offers that card through NFC. It doesnt make available every card.

So to answer your question. No it wont pay once you select the correct card and offer it to the terminal

Ah. Gotcha. I foolishly assumed it turned your phone into a contactless card from the off. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apple Pay does not work by opening the wallet app.

The wallet app literally stores your cards.

To use you need to tap the card.
    Bank cards however are different. Tapping then only shows transaction history.

In order to use with Apple Pay you need double click your home buttom or side button depending on your phone model and it then verifies via Faceid or Touchid or Passcode , depending on your phone, and then you hold it near the reader to pay.

Payment cannot be taken without an action by you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s also worth noting you can store multiple cards in Apple Pay / wallet and you can select which one to use each time of that’s a requirement.

What I did not know was that you can add your store rewards / loyalty cards, but they appear to be uk only.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

The Stocard app is handy for saving all your loyalty cards.

towger wrote: »
    The Stocard app is handy for saving all your loyalty cards.

Agree with this and it also adds them to your wallet.

All the self scans in Supermarkets accept them as well so it's very handy.

I always used those key fobs that kept breaking so they're a thing of the past now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

murpho999 wrote: »
    Agree with this and it also adds them to your wallet.

All the self scans in Supermarkets accept them as well so it's very handy.

I always used those key fobs that kept breaking so they're a thing of the past now for me.
    that can be hit and miss. the self service in the local supervalu dosnt work using the phone to scan the card

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s also worth noting you can store multiple cards in Apple Pay / wallet and you can select which one to use each time of that’s a requirement.

What I did not know was that you can add your store rewards / loyalty cards, but they appear to be uk only.

Tesco/Boots/Subway/Eventbrite all working fine for me.

• Advertisement

Tesco/Boots/Subway/Eventbrite all working fine for me.

How did you add them? Stocard?

I only have a tesco and dunnes one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Does anyone know how to add a SuperValu one?

Gumbo wrote: »
    How did you add them? Stocard?

I only have a tesco and dunnes one.

Download the Tesco app. In the bottom right corner of the screen there’s a Clubcard tile. Click on it and it’ll offer you the option to add to Wallet.

Don’t think Dunnes have it. I have a scan of my Dunnes card on the phone and that isn’t even high enough definition for their tills so I enter the barcode number manually.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    that can be hit and miss. the self service in the local supervalu dosnt work using the phone to scan the card

Ok, I haven't had that in a while but then again I only use a few supermarkets, especially with Covid.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to add a SuperValu one?

Stocard is the best option.

You can add a card to your Apple Wallet via the app.

Supervalu need to update their app and add Wallet support.

Download the Tesco app. In the bottom right corner of the screen there’s a Clubcard tile. Click on it and it’ll offer you the option to add to Wallet.

Don’t think Dunnes have it. I have a scan of my Dunnes card on the phone and that isn’t even high enough definition for their tills so I enter the barcode number manually.

Cheers. I obviously tried to download the uk version yesterday as it said I couldn’t based on region. Found the Ireland version. Thanks.

Advertisement