Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this an ear infection?

• 10-11-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw these marks in one of our dogs ears.
    The other ear has only a couple of small dots.

TzQbNRL.png

ABHqTSm.png

I'll go to the vet regardless tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone on here had any idea.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭jimf

it looks like an infection to me but im no vet

that ear looks very moist so def a trip to the vets asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭josip

Update from the vet is that the ear isn't infected, the canal is clear and healthy, so that's good.
    The downside is that the puppy bit the vet :(, so that will need to be seriously addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

josip wrote: »
    Update from the vet is that the ear isn't infected, the canal is clear and healthy, so that's good.
    The downside is that the puppy bit the vet :(, so that will need to be seriously addressed.

Why didn’t the vet muzzle the puppy if there were signs ?
    That’s a work hazard being a vet I would have thought .. not saying it’s ok but the vet should have known better..

Lots of dogs are terrified of the vet .. and most dogs show signs of stress before a bite .. ie trying to get away, growling etc.. a bite is usually the last form of communication

It's a 3 and a half month old small puppy and he was ok at the 2 vet visits I've been with him so far, so I didn't see this coming.Puppy was ok during the outer ear inspection, and also for the heart check, but decided he didn't want the inner ear exam with the long othoscope.
    I think it took the vet by surprise, he said it was unusual for a puppy to bite with full force.
    The vet didn't suggest a muzzle after, but asked me to hold the pups jaws closed, while he completed the inspection.
    I now know what 'full force' means, and next time I will be requesting a muzzle :) (not for me)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps he DID have some pain in the ear, from something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps he DID have some pain in the ear, from something.

100% agree .. the pup must have felt some pain to bite like that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭jimf

as the vet has said no infection what then is the cause

that ear looks very moist and sore to me any kind of a a foul odour from it

any chance of ear mites they cause that brownish dried blood /coffee discharge and would be about the right age at 12/16 weeks

Well I've just snuffled my first dog's ear and although there wasn't a foul smell, I'm glad to have gotten it off my bucket list.
    The puppy isn't scratching his ear or shaking his head so I don't think the ear is infected and he was in pain yesterday when he bit the vet.
    From the photo and the internet, I'd also though it might be mites, but the vet said it's probably just wax.
    The more I think about it, the puppy was showing signs of not being at ease during the visit.
    He had been squirming a bit before the vet inserted the opthalmascope.

Advertisement