Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Crashing

Options
  • 11-11-2020 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, have just built my new gaming PC and having issues with it crashing. Seems to be just when gaming. Have noticed it all on Warzone as it's just what I've been playing at the moment.

Just put it together yesterday and these are the specs:

Ryzen 5 3600XT
    B450 DS3H
    Asus RX5700xt
    16 3200 Vengeance
    Corsair 650W Supply
    240GB SSD
    2TB HDD

Any ideas what may be causing the crashes? I first thought it was the GPU drivers being the newest but went back to an older build from April/May and still have crashes. Not recording any mad temps either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Make sure you enable optionable updates in the radeon software and update to the latest drivers.

Before that use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to completely clean out any old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

BloodBath wrote: »
    Make sure you enable optionable updates in the radeon software and update to the latest drivers.

Before that use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to completely clean out any old ones.

The latest drivers are where it started as they were the first ones I got, I'll try the DDU route tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Hi lads, have just built my new gaming PC and having issues with it crashing. Seems to be just when gaming. Have noticed it all on Warzone as it's just what I've been playing at the moment.

Just put it together yesterday and these are the specs:

Ryzen 5 3600XT
    B450 DS3H
    Asus RX5700xt
    16 3200 Vengeance
    Corsair 650W Supply
    240GB SSD
    2TB HDD

Any ideas what may be causing the crashes? I first thought it was the GPU drivers being the newest but went back to an older build from April/May and still have crashes. Not recording any mad temps either.

Check Windows logs, it should give You info is it gpu driver crashing or maybe something else.

The latest drivers are where it started as they were the first ones I got, I'll try the DDU route tomorrow though.

Are they the latest drivers though? Did you enable optional updates? Off by default. What's the driver number and date?

Are they the latest drivers though? Did you enable optional updates? Off by default. What's the driver number and date?

The driver number I used was 20.11.1

I checked the event logs and there's 3 critical errors, all of them Kernel Power 41 (63) errors.

• Advertisement

I haven't updated to that driver myself yet, using a 5700 as well but I haven't had stability issues for ages. Currently on 20.10.1 and they are solid.

Seen online mention it's often an audio driver issue. Have you tried properly cleaning out the old drivers using DDU?

Did you do a fresh install of windows with your new hardware?

Did you install the latest motherboard drivers from their site?

I haven't updated to that driver myself yet, using a 5700 as well but I haven't had stability issues for ages. Currently on 20.10.1 and they are solid.

Seen online mention it's often an audio driver issue. Have you tried properly cleaning out the old drivers using DDU?

Did you do a fresh install of windows with your new hardware?

Did you install the latest motherboard drivers from their site?

I didn't use DDU yet no, it's a completely fresh install of Windows. I will grab the Firmware for the motherboard this evening and see if that does anything for me and try those 20.10.1 drivers you're on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

The kernel power errors are just the aftermath of a system crash..it just tells you that the system crashed but not why.

As above poster mentioned use DDU to get rid of all AMD radeon drivers on system then update,if this does not fix the blue screen/crash issues the next and most obvious route is your memory..run memtest and see if it passes.

The last time i saw problems like this it did turn out to be a faulty stick of memory which was in a set of 4 sticks...it just decided to fail...
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Good easily be CPU overheating either, run coretemp and prime95 and monitor temperature.

Cooler might not be mounted properly.

:Sorry just seen you said temps are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Jimson wrote:

Cooler might also just be garbage, or not good enough for what you're doing.

Gaming can really beat on a CPU, and cheap coolers, and stock coolers that come with CPUs are generally cheap or cheap-ish.

I recommend BeQuiet! Dark Rock coolers. Their thermal paste is rated pretty well, too.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it Blue screening, doing a dump and restarting, cutting entirely, or crashing and requiring a hard reset?

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    The kernel power errors are just the aftermath of a system crash..it just tells you that the system crashed but not why.

As above poster mentioned use DDU to get rid of all AMD radeon drivers on system then update,if this does not fix the blue screen/crash issues the next and most obvious route is your memory..run memtest and see if it passes.

The last time i saw problems like this it did turn out to be a faulty stick of memory which was in a set of 4 sticks...it just decided to fail...
    best of luck

Cheers, I'll give all those a try and see how I get on this evening.
    Jimson wrote: »
    Good easily be CPU overheating either, run coretemp and prime95 and monitor temperature.

:Sorry just seen you said temps are okay.

CPU cooler should definitely be mounted correctly, always make sure I take my time to get CPU coolers right and the temps are never running high on it.

In normal use, no issues but it seems when actually in gameplay it decides to crash.

Heebie wrote: »
    Cooler might also just be garbage, or not good enough for what you're doing.

Gaming can really beat on a CPU, and cheap coolers, and stock coolers that come with CPUs are generally cheap or cheap-ish.

All stock coolers are capable of cooling the chip they ship with.

ED E wrote: »
    Is it Blue screening, doing a dump and restarting, cutting entirely, or crashing and requiring a hard reset?

It is blackscreening, once or twice has rebooted but other times has just crashed to desktop. I did have one windows has crashed but not seen it with any of the recent crashes.

Assuming you're already on the F51 mobo bios I'd be stress testing the GPU. Furmark is old but reliable, or run Heaven on loop.

If you have another card to A/B test with then that'd be good to confirm the rest of the system is ok.

ED E wrote: »
    Assuming you're already on the F51 mobo bios I'd be stress testing the GPU. Furmark is old but reliable, or run Heaven on loop.

If you have another card to A/B test with then that'd be good to confirm the rest of the system is ok.

Cheers, I'll get both of those and get testing this evening. I don't have any other card unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I nearly say its not your system but warzone.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I nearly say its not your system but warzone.

I tried Kingdom Come Deliverance too and had a short blackscreen with that but it resumed playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I had something similar but with more hard reboots. Turned out to be a faulty 5700XT.

I had something similar but with more hard reboots. Turned out to be a faulty 5700XT.

I hope it's not that anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,104 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The driver number I used was 20.11.1

I checked the event logs and there's 3 critical errors, all of them Kernel Power 41 (63) errors.

Dumb question but did you plug in the Motherboard ATX 4 pin connector?

Overheal wrote: »
    Dumb question but did you plug in the Motherboard ATX 4 pin connector?

Yep she's in! I'm home now so going to run through all ye're suggestions now.

psu overheat?

psu overheat?

I just played a game there after DDUing and installing the latest errors. CPU max temp I saw on CoreTemp was 80, usually around 70. Game crashed but showed a Modern Warfare error code but not sure are the crashing issues I've had and that related.

I think I've solved the issue. I was playing Kingdom Come Deliverance when it crashed and I got a BSOD with the error code MEMORY_MANAGEMENTR. This then clicked in my head that when I was setting up the PC with my buddy he set the RAM to OC at 3200 rather than default. Setting this back to default and I so far have no issues with games for the last hour or two :D

Thanks for all the help!

I think I've solved the issue. I was playing Kingdom Come Deliverance when it crashed and I got a BSOD with the error code MEMORY_MANAGEMENTR. This then clicked in my head that when I was setting up the PC with my buddy he set the RAM to OC at 3200 rather than default. Setting this back to default and I so far have no issues with games for the last hour or two :D

Thanks for all the help!

Nice! Make sure it's running at what you paid for it at least (ie. it's XMP speed) otherwise it likes to default to 2333 Mhz

Nice! Make sure it's running at what you paid for it at least (ie. it's XMP speed) otherwise it likes to default to 2333 Mhz

It's 3200 which is what it was clocked to so I might just go somewhere midway maybe. Or just slowly work up.

It's 3200 which is what it was clocked to so I might just go somewhere midway maybe. Or just slowly work up.

...odd. If it's not stable at the values it was sold at I'd RMA it.

Are you using an XMP profile to increase the speed or was the OC done manually? If so he might have forgot to up the voltage.

Is that RAM on your boards QVL list?

• Advertisement

Is that RAM on your boards QVL list?

No it is not, I didn't even know such a thing existed! I'll very much live right now anyway I'd say :)

Advertisement