Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Crashing

Options
2»

Comments

No it is not, I didn't even know such a thing existed! I'll very much live right now anyway I'd say :)

That's probably your problem right there. I had Vengeance RAM on my last board and it kept on crashing and BSOD'ing. Turns out it wasn't on the QVL list. Swapped RAM and didn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Return it if you can and get 3600 Data rate memory on the QVL. Ryzen likes fast memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Ah right now I'm not overly bothered, it's running well now and to be honest I could be looking at replacing the board anyway next year if I decide to go for an Ampere or 6000 series so I'll hold off until then. If I have any issues though I'll replace them.

I'd run memtest to be sure.

I'd run memtest to be sure.

Will do, best to run that for a couple of hours?

• Advertisement

At least. Do as long as the free version allows IMHO.

I checked a newer version of the QVL list and my RAM is actually on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's probably your problem right there. I had Vengeance RAM on my last board and it kept on crashing and BSOD'ing. Turns out it wasn't on the QVL list. Swapped RAM and didn't happen again.

Not being on the qvl rarely matters, in spec is enough.

I've only ever had a problem with RAM not on the QVL on ASRock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

ED E wrote:
    All stock coolers are capable of cooling the chip they ship with.

Not true. A lot of them will chill the chip under a normal business workload, but won't even come close under hardcore gaming, video transcoding, or cryptocurrency mining. Things that put a cpu under constant load tend to completely overwhelm stock coolers.

My last machine, with a hex core xeon cpu in it went through a period early on where it would crash often. Any time the cpu hit 70 degrees. With the stock cooler it wasn't difficult to get it there.
    At an idle the cpu would run 40-45C with the stock Intel cooler designed for xeon cooling.
    Switching to a "beQuiet!" Dark Rock TF cooler brought the idle temp down to 24C and never saw the CPU get above 60C, so it never crashed again.
    The motherboard chipset temperature went from 75C to 50C, as well. This was with no overclocking.
    The noise level generated by the new cooker was also drastically improved.

The layout of the case can also have a lot to do with how well the particular cpu cooler will work in it. It has to move the air in a direction that cooperates with the case's air flow design, rather than working against it. The smaller the case is, the more important it is to get the airflow as efficient as possible.

• Advertisement

Quick update to this, finally got around to updating the BIOS and now have the RAM running at 3200mhz with no issues, thanks for the help with this lads! :)

Advertisement