Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One revolution at a time

• 11-11-2020 6:55am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Better to start today then next month in my opinion. A fresh start deserves a fresh thread. I've decided that zwift is just not for me, so that's gone. No races till god knows when, so that's out. So what's the point.

Well there is one main one. Slowly slipping down the booze hound slide. Not In a getting blitzed now and again type of way but more in the keeping topped up constantly type of way. My Dad is also so inclined and while a great Dad, I don't want to be that guy.

What better way to stub out one addiction than replace it with another.

Main Aims
    - Targeting local KOMs - 3 picked so far
    - Drop back down to sub 80kg (at 85kg now)
    - hBA1c below 7, no idea what it is at the moment but it's not that low
    - stay off the booze

Unlike other years I have went for realistic and achievable targets, I will expand upon them once achieved. Out of the 3 KOMs, 2 are off road, 1 of which will require CX running to get. The last is a small.local.loop on my doorstep that I went for and was over a minute off so needs practice. Sub 80kg is doable, eat better, drink more water, hope that's it. hBA1c is a measure of average blood glucose levels. Below 7 means I am almost like a normal.person, hopefully this will just slip into place. Stay off the booze will be an interesting one. I have no confidence in 'programs' for something like this. I think pure ignorance and just cold turkey is the way to go. It's day two and hopefully the sleep improves after a few days off it. Maybe update this once a week.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Less than 5 days off the booze and I am crawling the walls. Sleep has improved after splitting headaches on Day 3, and days of exhaustion but being unable to sleep. Skin is itchy but I think that is psychosomatic. I have never drank so much tea in my life.

Back to my goals, very sadly got one almost first go.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4331645336

Targeted this KOM, missed the start of it, stopped on the road as a driveway before the turn was being redone. I was fine for the 1st third but my legs were struggling on the middle third, had to walk the really steep bits as the wheels were slipping out but was not able to run. By the time I got to the top I had given up so was quite surprised when i had taken the KOM by over 30seconds considering I mentally had packed it in for the last 100m. I imagine with little training I could easily make it sub 7 minutes.

Next targets are here which I am only 20seconds off the KOM and I think with better pacing I can definitely be in contention

Followed by here. 2 minutes off here, this will be tough and i think will be one of those that depends on the conditions on the day.

And finally this one. This one is annoying, right on my doorstop, and I am even with the holder until halfway. It is the hairpin half way through I obviously loose my nerve. This is one that I actually think will be the hardest despite being the shortest and easiest on paper.

Weight wise already down a kilo.

hBA1c I have to figure out how to calculate based on my monitor, the software I used to use has been pulled down so will figure that out over the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

CramCycle wrote: »

And finally this one. This one is annoying, right on my doorstop, and I am even with the holder until halfway. It is the hairpin half way through I obviously loose my nerve. This is one that I actually think will be the hardest despite being the shortest and easiest on paper.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this ;)

Don't think I paid particular attention to the corner, it mostly hinges on how long you can hold a full gas sprint back up the hill. Rode the first half handy-hard, obviously don't lose too much through the corner, but it's a full anaerobic effort for the next minute.

Plastik wrote: »

Don't think I paid particular attention to the corner, it mostly hinges on how long you can hold a full gas sprint back up the hill. Rode the first half handy-hard, obviously don't lose too much through the corner, but it's a full anaerobic effort for the next minute.

Indeed, the corner is where I start to lose it and I certainly ain't hammering it to much until there but on the climb I haven't managed to push it out to the end, my legs tend to decide to just say no and I have scrubbed so much speed I can't build it back up. If I could take the corner with more confidence and carry more speed through, it would be easier to keep the effort up rather than trying to build back up to speed. On the plus side for you, my race bike is away for the winter so I am on my CX bike with knobbly tires so this will be most likely the last one to fall if I can do it.

Missed my first target today by 1 second. I was struggling but more due to a lack of proper warm up, Wahoo said I hit 5:05 which is the current KOM and I sat up. When I uploaded it was off by 1 second, looks like I was ahead until the final 100m and dead level until the last 5m so will push through it next time: https://www.strava.com/activities/4335099179/overview Video of it here, apologies for the really heavy breathing

Not saying I am coming for you, but lets just say, I'm getting there:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4346320217

hit the brakes way to early coming into the corner and faded dramatically in the last 200m but it's down to 5 seconds and I can comfortably eek out another 3 just by delaying slowing for the turn and not accelerating so hard out of it, the finish is further away than I remembered

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great video and not a hill I've climbed so must give it a go at some point. In terms of speed, I reckon you'd probably be faster on drier ground with no one about, so very early morning in the summer is going to be way easier to nab records than on a muddy Winters day with hill walkers wandering about. That said, you're just about there anyway so go for it!

• Advertisement

Not saying I am coming for you, but lets just say, I'm getting there:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4346320217

hit the brakes way to early coming into the corner and faded dramatically in the last 200m but it's down to 5 seconds and I can comfortably eek out another 3 just by delaying slowing for the turn and not accelerating so hard out of it, the finish is further away than I remembered

Ah but you're really 6 long, clear seconds away from being the KING!

There's also one going the other way if you get bored of trying that direction :pac: Chasing KOM's during the 2km lockdown was about the only thing that kept me out on the bike regularly.

https://www.strava.com/segments/22876383?filter=overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

IVideo of it here, apologies for the really heavy breathing

What camera/software do you use to get the overlay on there?

What camera/software do you use to get the overlay on there?

Garmin Virb, another poster was using it so I gave a crack at it, far easier than I expected to use it. It asks you to load from a Garmin device but you can select load from file. Once loaded you select create video and in that it gives you the opportunity to add in GPX data, you have to link it up by eye but it was easy enough. I think my stats are off by a second or two. You can then add in loads of random overlays and add/delete as you see fit and move them around with ease.

My camera is a GoPro Hero 8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

Out of curiosity, what size bars are you using?? They look tiny but might be the camera.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what size bars are you using?? They look tiny but might be the camera.

36cm C-C, so about 38cm outside to outside. I prefer narrower bars despite my size. Doesn't seem to affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

Same as myself so, much prefer the narrower bars. Don't see many using them at all.

So yesterday was a write off. I took off out the door for the first segment attack. I hadn't slept well and had lower back pain but figured I would shake it off. Despite not shaking it off I took to the first part of the climb well and far faster than expected. A walker was coming out the first gate. He had cleared it but when he seen me decided to run back to open it. He failed, pulled it the wrong way and by the time he opened it I was already stopped and couldn't get going again. Feeling a bit off I just turned and headed home. I had one crack at Plastiks segment but got the same time as before. Today I woke, better rested but back still sore. Decided to just go out and see what happens, don't try too hard. Went up the first climb, fumbled the second gate and decided just to sit in and see what I could force out. Out of the saddle for the last 200m and couldn't breathe at the top. Wahoo said I was 17 seconds down but I was glad to have done it.

Came down to Belmont and dropped my chain twice on the blue loop (easy) so just settled in for a coffee. Went through Kilruddery on the way home but there were too many walker's to do anything so I know now to hit that a bit earlier.

Finally went for Plastiks loop on the last stretch home, took the turn into it OK but not as well as I could have. Kept the speed up nearly to the turn but I did bottle it last second but didn't lose all my speed. Ramped up nicely, kept lying to myself doing 5 second counts and pushed it almost to the line, nearly went straight through the petrol station at the end. Alas I didn't catch Plastik but the gap is down to 1 second now.

Strava also informs me I have taken the KOM on my first climb by 25seconds.

Just Little Sugar Loaf and Plastik left it would appear, and I'm getting closer.

Sober for 7 days now, had a relapse yesterday week but haven't touched a drop since. Have talked to a councillor to get some tips and advice which helped more than expected.

Also down just over 1kg

@Plastik I went for that segment this morning again but the corner was too slippy so I ended up rolling up the driveway rather than taking the turn. I did have a craic at the reverse KOM. 13 seconds off, road was too slippy and I had wheel spin on the climb, must wait for a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Fair play. I’m enjoying following the KOM hunting and there’s a few local to me that I will have to check out! On the booze front, I’ve found that keeping the fridge stocked with a few non alcoholic beers has helped a lot to stretch days and weeks into months. There’s a good selection of na IPAs available now in the likes of the bigger O’Briens. They do taste a bit ‘light’ at the beginning but after sticking with them exclusively for a month or so, the regular IPAd tasted a bit too heavy to me and I preferred the na versions. The Brewdog Nanny State and Punk AF are particularly good. YMMV.

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Fair play. I’m enjoying following the KOM hunting and there’s a few local to me that I will have to check out!
    Its really enjoyable actually. Before I just used to attack each one if I knew about them but now that the likes of Plastik have put in good times, I am actually looking to see what they are doing different to me, where am I losing time etc. I know its stupid but it keeps the mind occupied and really forces you to push things out when on your own. Have to say, knowing Plastik on here also gives a bit of inspiration to push harder as its no longer a random-er on a website (well, I mean, it is, but it's not in another way), so the ego pushes you a bit further. Reminds me of this comic, Plastik being Flag B guy.
    sports.png
    On the booze front, I’ve found that keeping the fridge stocked with a few non alcoholic beers has helped a lot to stretch days and weeks into months. There’s a good selection of na IPAs available now in the likes of the bigger O’Briens. They do taste a bit ‘light’ at the beginning but after sticking with them exclusively for a month or so, the regular IPAd tasted a bit too heavy to me and I preferred the na versions. The Brewdog Nanny State and Punk AF are particularly good. YMMV.
    A friend of mine in Germany says they have an amazing range over there, a couple of hundred in his local off license, and another friend as there is a place in town that as a huge NA selection. For now I have switched to Tonic water as a recommendation to just get me over the initial craving, I was warned that in the first while, for some people the NAs just act as a psychological substitute so it doesn't wean you off it as many people are addicted to the sugar in the beer as much as the alcohol (no idea how true this is). So gonna stick with the Tonic water.

:D Can't beat a bit of local rivalry for a bit of impromptu HIIT training.

I tried to crack this one in the earlier lockdown but eventually gave up. There must've been a big wind blowing on 13 July 2014!

https://www.strava.com/segments/6986360

:D Can't beat a bit of local rivalry for a bit of impromptu HIIT training.

I tried to crack this one in the earlier lockdown but eventually gave up. There must've been a big wind blowing on 13 July 2014!

https://www.strava.com/segments/6986360

This is the one that I targeted but didn’t make (yet!)

https://www.strava.com/segments/14105535

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    This is the one that I targeted but didn’t make (yet!)

https://www.strava.com/segments/14105535

Done that once or twice on my commute home, really has to be targetted ride for a realistic chance at it. Both times I went up it i had a bag with a bit of weight in it but I doubt that was my reason for suffering. I had a look at the KOM, clearly targeted, he pootles along at 10kmph keeping it all nice and easy until about 30m from the start where he really ramps up. Keeping north of 20kmph average on that climb will be very difficult as its 10% the whole way but certainly not impossible

The turn at start makes it difficult to take some speed into it. Fun trying though!

• Advertisement

There's a suspect GPS glitch on that Quarry Lane KOM from an android device. It's showing him doing 33kph up 11% at the start.

There's a suspect GPS glitch on that Quarry Lane KOM from an android device. It's showing him doing 33kph up 11% at the start.

Might be ok? If you look at #3 it’s a similar profile - roll around corner at 15kmh, then sprint hard but run out of steam pretty quickly...

Son of a b*tch. Off the bike for half a week now after my fall and a cough. What happens only the previous holder of my recently got KOM took it back by 9 seconds, so I am back to square 1.

Sh1t just got real :-)

Its been a bad week, very little cycling done, sleep has been woeful and I look like a drug addict with the eyes hanging out of my head. I haven't even attempted any of the KOMs, and tomorrow I have to sit through 7 hours of Zoom with kids as one of Santas helpers, the same on Sunday. I am going to try and get out early but only for a spin, leave the KOM targeting for this week.

Good news on the weight front, down over another kilo so sub 83kg with no effort, eating more than usual as well.

Same again this week, work has been tough and I am run down, so I actually felt weak out on the bike this morning.
    Went for the KOM climb but while I took off faster I had blown within the first 1/4 and never recovered, 2nd fastest time but I could barely breathe at the top, pains in my chest and that weird numb/cold feeling where I kept salivating. Done a legger before any walkers came along.
    Tried for Plastiks KOMs but one didn't get picked up although I think I would have been close, turns out the opposite direction one you have to come through the petrol station. Tried the other one but bottled it again as I had new tires and was unsure of their grip.
    I did go up Little Sugar Loaf from another direction, SPD SLs were a bad idea, still got forth on one KOM despite walking at a snails pace for most of it. Scared the sh1te out of me on the descent though when my handlebars slipped as I was breaking.

Down to 82kg, 5 weeks off the booze tomorrow.

Maybe I was lucky the way the GPS tracked but I didn't go through the garage. Coming from Woodies I went in the turn by the ram.

Obviously fell out of favour with training over the last month, partner had a bad appendectomy, home schooling and holidays meant time was limited. Coupled with some back and shoulder pain from other stuff, it's not been great for the bike. Anyway, excuses out of the way, weight has gone up a bit, but only 2 kgs so not terrible.

For the new year, going to focus on weight loss and just getting spins in, until the weather improves, specifically the two segments that Plastik owns I just can't seem to keep my bottle going round the corner after I lost grip once so I am at least 20seconds off the pace on those ones, so need a dry day, later in the year so I can hit it early and full gas. Other KOMs that I will be targeting for the next few months are here:
    A Lap of the Loaf - I am 28 minutes of the KOM, mainly due to only doing it once and being uber cautious and coming off twice, I feel I can cut 10 minutes off that with ease, 28 will be a tough call though, probably better when it has dried out a bit as the second 1/3 was steep or mucky, with no other options allowed.

The Wall (after the gates) - First 1/3 of the abover segment, two wet at the minute so alot of wheel spin on the +20% parts. Great craic though and got alot of cheering from walkers as I went up last time which was nice and drove me to keep going.

Cliff Road Climb - This is one I had taken and then was taken back off me by Billy, tried it the other day and way off my game from only a month ago, nearly a minute down. It's tough because the few seconds difference can be explained by fluffing the gate opening and closing. If you get lucky a walker might hold the gates, you get unlucky and they stand in the way and look confused but thats the game.

Lastly are Plastiks two, Ballywaltrim Lane (1 second off) and Reverse (7 seconds off)

Forgot one segment on my list up the side of the Little Sugar Loaf. Went for a relaxed spin up it today and knocked a fair bit off my last attempt. New cassette on the rear wheel gave me enough to stay on the bike almost all the way and leave me within 1 minute of the KOM without pushing hard, previously I had to get off and walk half of it and was over 2 minutes off the pace. Only had to dismount twice, once from slipperiness but on a dry day i could stay on the bike, the other at the very end the last 15m there is a slight bump that Strava doesn't pick up but the walkers even struggle on it. A good day with dry weather for few days and I would say I will have it.

Everywhere else I went was thronged with walkers so quite a relaxed spin.

• Advertisement

Holy sh1t, I found my guide for the future:

Advertisement