Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I Need To Upgrade for VR ?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Do I need to upgrade for VR

Back again looking for help , built a pc a few years ago for my son and want to surprise him with a VR setup for Christmas ,

this is the basics of his present pc

Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 Compact X1 6144MB GDDR5
    PCI-Express Graphics Card

CP-39Z-AM AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor -
    Retail

MY-087-TG Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16
    3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30

550W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 ATX PSU

Corsair SPEC-04 Black/Gre Case

MSI B350M BAZOOKA MoBo

samsung 1 TB ssd and 3TB HDD

what do i need to upgrade to run Oculus Quest 2 ? or do I need to start from scratch ,

sorry if I should be posting in the VR forum but I know feck all about VR ,

thanks for any suggestions .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

It will work but you would ideally want a more powerful machine for the proper experience. Unlike normal games, VR really needs a consistently very high framerate to maintain immersion and realism. Frame drops or weak frame-rates kill the experience.

Only problem is a meaningful upgrade will be fairly expensive on top of a VR system. And we're in a transition phase, new cards are due in the next month or two which make the current €200-300 range poor buys right now.

I would consider buying VR now, and then thinking about selling that old PC and building a new one early next year.

Either that, or keep it, sell the Ryzen 1600 + 1060 6GB and upgrade to Ryzen 3600 and whatever the replacement class is for the current GTX1660 Super over the next while.

If I had to upgrade something now, I would swap out the 1600 for a Ryzen 3600 (your board probably needs a bios upgrade first). They are both six core processors but the 3600 is way faster in games, and would also give way better frames in VR.

At least you can lower graphics settings to get a nice high stable framerate, nothing you can do about CPU related frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd upgrade the graphics card & see how it runs with just that.
    Stick to Nvidia for VR.
    GTX 1080 Ti are starting to fall in price - should be able to pick one up for €280-350 from the right seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

would this be a good buy , save me a bit of hassle and its local

https://www.adverts.ie/20481315

i know the gpu is not as good as a gtx 1080 ti but the seller is close to me and delivery is starting to be very slow from everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not done the maths but it looks okayish and looks like the guy is using Amazon, which if he sticks around means they are usually good if anything goes wrong. It's all last gen parts though. If I were you I'd be weaiting until I could get a 5600 / 5600X processor, B550 motherboard and maybe a 3060 rather than a 2060.

Very difficult to get the current gen stuff at the moment though and the 3060 isn't out yet.

The most concerning part of the ad though is his taste in carpet.

Edit: Sorry just saw this is a Xmas suprise so foregoing advice probably won't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I think it's important to note here - if he's getting the Oculus Quest 2 - that will run standalone without any PC! It's one of the main selling points of it right now.
    There's a good back catalog of games available and designed for Quest 2 which will run and look great out of the box without being plugged into any PC.
    I think budget for now would be best spent on a few games on the Oculus Store when he gets it.

I think you should give that a go to start and maybe a GPU upgrade as K.O.KI said above would be a good start if some things start to struggle, but spending €1,000 on a pc on top of the headset seems like a bit much.

Again a lot of it comes down to what he wants to play and how demanding the titles are!

• Advertisement

well started the process (madness) and ordered a

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Hardware Bundle
    3XS B550 Hardware Bundle, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, ASUS STRIX B550-F, 16GB DDR4, AMD , just need to buy a gpu to go with it now , im the impatient type so , is the rtx 3070 a good buy , it can be a birthday and Christmas present

will have it Tuesday

RTX 3070 is good for now but the 8GB of memory may be an issue in the future for VR. I'd be sticking with nVidia for VR at the moment but the future might be different with the new AMD GPUs and their 'broader' answer to DLSS which is still to be confirmed. VR could really make use of an up scaling technology like DLSS or AMDs equivilent.

Sorry not really a straight answer. In short it's not a bad buy for now and will probably sell on reasonably enough.

RTX 3070 is good for now but the 8GB of memory may be an issue in the future for VR. I'd be sticking with nVidia for VR at the moment but the future might be different with the new AMD GPUs and their 'broader' answer to DLSS which is still to be confirmed. VR could really make use of an up scaling technology like DLSS or AMDs equivilent.

Sorry not really a straight answer. In short it's not a bad buy for now and will probably sell on reasonably enough.

just one last question (I hope),

is there much difference between
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pny-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-epic-x-rgb-xlr8-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-5888-core-1500mhz-gp

and

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-rog-strix-oc-8gb-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-5888-core-1500mhz-gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I'd say you'll have one happy young fella regardless of which one you choose. Quest 2, new PC and a 3070!!

At the core they're both the same card, with Strix you're paying for the premium branding. I don't think you'd see any noticeable performance differences between them if I'm being honest, but I'm open to correction.

(I'm guilty of looking at a Strix myself for a Motherboard but that's a different story!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

You're not paying for extra performance really, you're paying for (in most cases) better cooling, maybe a 1-3% increase in performance but it's negligible to be honest, an RTX3070 is generally an RTX3070 from that point of view.

Now, with Strix, it's also like the Nike of the GPU world, you're paying heavily for branding....is it worth it? 100% not in my opinion, especially now when the PNY is already a perfectly decent card.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the help lads , can't beat boards members for great advice and help , got the 3070 and a 650 psu so all i have to do now is wait for the DPD man .

just an update on my build

PSU KOLINK ENCLAVE 700W PSU 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY UNIT on the way

GPU GIGABYTE - GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING OC Graphics Card on the way

MB ASUS B550-F GAMING in hand

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU MPK in hand

RAM 2x8G CorVenRGBPRO DDR4 3XS in hand

CASE Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Tower Case - Black in hand

Have a new samsung evo 1TB , M.2 1 TB and a 3TB 7200 3.5 ready to install as well , just waiting on the Kolink from AWD-IT and the 3070 from Currys , so almost sorted , thanks again for all the help not just on this thread but from all the other build threads , K.O.Kiki ,Samuel T. Cogley ,Shlippery and Homelander who posted on this thread ,

Thanks to all

Tony H wrote: »
    just an update on my build

PSU KOLINK ENCLAVE 700W PSU 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY UNIT on the way

GPU GIGABYTE - GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING OC Graphics Card on the way

MB ASUS B550-F GAMING in hand

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU MPK in hand

RAM 2x8G CorVenRGBPRO DDR4 3XS in hand

CASE Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Tower Case - Black in hand

Have a new samsung evo 1TB , M.2 1 TB and a 3TB 7200 3.5 ready to install as well , just waiting on the Kolink from AWD-IT and the 3070 from Currys , so almost sorted , thanks again for all the help not just on this thread but from all the other build threads , K.O.Kiki ,Samuel T. Cogley ,Shlippery and Homelander who posted on this thread ,

Thanks to all

Kolink would not power this setup so bought this
    650W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 ATX PSU

instead .

Sorry to hear that, that'd odd as my card has drawn 220W+ and no issues. Duff unit?

Edit: Apologies for missing your tech support thread, only seeing it now.

Sorry to hear that, that'd odd as my card has drawn 220W+ and no issues. Duff unit?

Edit: Apologies for missing your tech support thread, only seeing it now.

no problem , thanks for all the help , running well now , there was definitely something wrong with the kolink , it was weird that it worked with the old system but nothing with the more powerful one ,
    having problems now trying to RMA it to AWD-IT , waiting 7 days since first contact and still waiting , won't be buying off them again:mad: ,

but the system is working and gave him his early present ,haven't seen him in a few days , he's cyberpunking away happily with everything full on :D.

Advertisement