Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43" 4k TV with Headphone Jack?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if any 4ks of this size come with this, have brilliant powered speakers that I use with existing TV that I want to upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Most probably all Bluetooth.
    Would you see if there's an adapter available like the below?

This would pick up the Bluetooth from the tv then plug it here.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless-Hands-Free-black/dp/B00O8GASEA/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Bluetooth+Receiver+for+Headphones&qid=1605096719&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was going to say be careful with those bluetooth things as I had one before and it didn't work when it was plugged in charging, but the one you linked to appears to from one of the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone know if any 4ks of this size come with this, have brilliant powered speakers that I use with existing TV that I want to upgrade?

If needs be use a HDMI audio extractor.

Probably a silly question - but are newer TVs dropping the headphone jack?

That seems a step backwards? Was always the handiest way of getting external audio up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Probably a silly question - but are newer TVs dropping the headphone jack?

That seems a step backwards? Was always the handiest way of getting external audio up and running.

Presume HDMI or digital optical cable is the standard means of doing that.

Using the headphone socket is a bit 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Looking at Philips TVs recently and most have a 3.5mm jack
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/philips-43pus8555-12-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10206085-pdt.html

Unusual means of connecting external speakers however as speakers would require an amp/receiver to power and you'd be limited to stereo rather than surround sound via a 3.5mm jack.
    Handy feature however and not sure if common on other makes of TV

Good price from Currys on these TV at present but not sure of shipping or availability here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

lawred2 wrote: »
    Presume HDMI or digital optical cable is the standard means of doing that.

Using the headphone socket is a bit 90s

Who cares? I have 10 year old 200 quid speakers that are fantastic, im not buying a soundbar.

Are there TVs providing bluetooth for audio?

Who cares? I have 10 year old 200 quid speakers that are fantastic, im not buying a soundbar.

The speakers are hardly driven off a 3.5mm headphone jack surely?

They are, and are better than any sound bar.

• Advertisement

Philips Ambilight 43PUS8545 Just seen this recommended on this thread, has headphone out. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

[HTML][/HTML]
    Philips Ambilight 43PUS8545 Just seen this recommended on this thread, has headphone out. Sorted.

Bought 4 of them!

They are, and are better than any sound bar.

Good stuff

I'm not really clued into the technical specs of the world of audio/visual products, but I believe I've fired a 5-speaker surround system into a headphone jack before and all speakers worked (perhaps the rear were just duplicating the front audio, but it seemed grand to me - albeit i am not an audiophile by any stretch).

That's going back a while, but in recent years, the simplicity of grabbing a soundbar and knowing any old cheap and cheerful 3.5mm cable will sort out your audio was quite handy.

Your bog-standard, run of the mill 3.5mm jack is a very underrated piece of equipment, and not one I'd like to see the back of anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If the TV is sensible enough to change the standard headphone output to a line output connection when required - then it should be OK.

Some TVs have a dedicated line output, which would be a better option.

JDxtra wrote: »
    If the TV is sensible enough to change the standard headphone output to a line output connection when required - then it should be OK.

Some TVs have a dedicated line output, which would be a better option.

What's the difference? I see this dialogue (see attached image) appear when I plug in a 3.5 jack to my laptop, but whatever I choose, it all sounds pretty much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Most 43" HiSense TVs have them, was researching them earlier in the year and like you I needed the headphone socket, didn't buy in the end so can't vouch for quality, here's an example:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4167231/Trail/searchtext%3EHISENSE+4K.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi OP some slight confusion earlier on this thread re TVs not having headphone jacks anymore.

- I've a Sony Bravia Android 4K TV and there's a 3.5mm audio out to the rear that can be configured in the menu to act as a headphone jack (cuts main volume when plugged in) - or a line out (TV speakers still output audio too) - with a further option to set audio output to 100% on this line out so volume then can be exclusively controlled by your other devices - eg your speakers.

PS - In case it's helpful to anyone - I've an August bluetooth sender/receiver plugged into this and can watch TV / Play games late at night at whatever volume I like on my bluetooth headphones - Its great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-Bluetooth-Receiver-Headphones-MR230B/dp/B00CBCXZ3E/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=august+bluetooth&qid=1605176155&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTTBTWkNHUVlOTU9JJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTMzNzE3M1ZIMFBZRUNSSEtYViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTEyNzg2MzVHWjQ5TDdQTUoxUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Mango Joe wrote: »
    - I've a Sony Bravia Android 4K TV and there's a 3.5mm audio out to the rear that can be configured in the menu to act as a headphone jack (cuts main volume when plugged in) - or a line out (TV speakers still output audio too) - with a further option to set audio output to 100% on this line out so volume then can be exclusively controlled by your other devices - eg your speakers.
    That is exactly how it should work, nicely done by Sony.

cormie wrote: »
    What's the difference? I see this dialogue (see attached image) appear when I plug in a 3.5 jack to my laptop, but whatever I choose, it all sounds pretty much the same?

Yes, and it is good you are presented with that option. Line out is used to send audio between components (in the OPs case from a TV to some powered speakers). It is not designed to drive headphones. If you mix them up, you'll either hear very low audio on your headphones or distorted bass heavy audio on your speakers.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Most probably all Bluetooth.
    Would you see if there's an adapter available like the below?

This would pick up the Bluetooth from the tv then plug it here.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless-Hands-Free-black/dp/B00O8GASEA/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Bluetooth+Receiver+for+Headphones&qid=1605096719&sr=8-5

Do you have this by any chance? Do you know, can you just leave it on the whole time and it'll only disconnect if the device has gone out of range or is manually disconnected? I'm thinking to get it to connect my laptop to my speakers in another room which only have a 3.5 audio jack. I guess it'll disconnect every time the laptop is turned off, but it would be nice all it took was a click in the menu to get it going again!

Advertisement