Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety order court hearing: Should I go with or without a solicitor?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I got my protection order against my soon to be ex-husband after getting rejected the first time.

Now I have the court hearing for the safety order coming soon. I think he has got a solicitor.

I have a full time job, so I don't think I'd qualify for free legal aid. The few solicitors I called gave me a quote of 700-900 euros for this one and only case which would involve a Zoom session to get the evidences ready and the attendance in the court on the day.

Is there a more affordable way I could have?

Women's aid offer someone to accompany you to the court, but they sounded iffy about it due to the virus.

Has anyone gone to the court without a solicitor? How has it worked? Any tips are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

In the absence of your own solicitor you will need to be very confident in your ability to present your case for the issuing of a safety order.
    Legal aid for civil cases can be quite limited. The fact that a Protection Order was issued indicates that there was reasonable grounds for believing you were at risk but this will only last until you get a Safety Order. I strongly adviee that you get a solicitor. Explain your financial situation and some arrangement may deal with payment. Womens Aid might be able to assist in identifying a solicitor with good knowledge of Family Law

Mod
    I agree with Edgware

Advertisement