Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got my Pg35VQ Asus Screen, now to new PC build - input please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

If you're an extreme enthusiast who has money to burn and/or you have heavy productivity uses, it's fine.

If you're just a normal user/gamer who's not the above, it's a fantastic waste of cash.

Unless you're into extreme high-end tweaking and overclocking (or heavy productivity that can use 12 cores), it's not going to benefit you any more than a build that costs £1k less or more, and if this is for games, yours won't perform any better really either.

There are better ways to throw money at something if you're just itching to get rid of money. Invest in a high quality chair, excellent quality wireless headset, new desk, high end wireless mouse, mechanical keyboard, etc.

Sure, even a VR headset. Anything is better spent then burning money on insane workstation processors, super high-end enthusiast gear, if you're not actually in a position to use it. Or, I dare say, even understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

can i ask what you are mainly going to do with this new pc?
    madness paying 450 euros for 2tb pcie 4 nvme in my opinion when really you wont see much difference between pcie 3 and pcie 4 in everyday use.
    The smart access memory feature will only work between a 5 series Processor and a yet to be released 6 series AMD gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

I would like to game @ ultra/max settings, ray tracing, 3440 x 1440 res, HDR @ 144 FPS - 160 FPS basically all settings maxed out.

I will also be doing some video editing.

I will play games like Cyberpunk, Horizon Zero Dawn etc.

I also play CPU heavy games a lot such as Stellaris (Pretty much unplayable on i7 6700k late game) and Civilization series to Cities Skylines.

Homelander wrote: »
    If you're an extreme enthusiast who has money to burn and/or you have heavy productivity uses, it's fine.

If you're just a normal user/gamer who's not the above, it's a fantastic waste of cash.

Unless you're into extreme high-end tweaking and overclocking (or heavy productivity that can use 12 cores), it's not going to benefit you any more than a build that costs £1k less or more, and if this is for games, yours won't perform any better really either.

There are better ways to throw money at something if you're just itching to get rid of money. Invest in a high quality chair, excellent quality wireless headset, new desk, high end wireless mouse, mechanical keyboard, etc.

Sure, even a VR headset. Anything is better spent then burning money on insane workstation processors, super high-end enthusiast gear, if you're not actually in a position to use it. Or, I dare say, even understand it.

I am an enthusiast and do like messing with overclocking etc a bit, not extreme! I already have the high quality chair, excellent headset, but I do need excellent wireless mouse and keyboard. I also am interested in VR somewhat though... I take your points.

I certainly understand it, been building a new PC every approx 5 years since I was 13 years old! Now on the other side of 36 :D

This machine should last me 5 years at max settings for everything I hope.

By all means get a Ryzen 5800X, 32GB 3600Mhz RAM and an X570 with a solid NVME, just ditch all the insane high-end, super expensive enthusiast gear and workstation CPU.

Your GPU is going to be far more important in all of this, but even that has its limits! 3440x1440 @ 160fps with max settings and Ray Tracing, is not at all realistic for any existing graphics card for the latest AAA games.

If you check 4K benchmarks for the 3080 on the latest games (leaving out RT for a moment) most of the latest games will run at 80-100fps ballpark at max settings.

With those sort of high resolutions and frame-rates, usually some sort of compromise has to be found. Usually running at high rather than ultra, or being accepting of 60-80fps as a compromise on ultra, etc.

There is the RTX3090 which is faster with more VRAM, I would absolutely consider the extortionate cost relative to the small increase in performance doesn't justify it, but in your case it wouldn't be as much of as waste as the 5900X and all that high-end enthusiast gear.

Stellaris is also just a badly coded game, you would eventually get the same problem on any CPU, even the 5900X.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/why-obligatory-bad-lategame-performance-is-a-lie.1051378/

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    By all means get a Ryzen 5800X, 32GB 3600Mhz RAM and an X570 with a solid NVME, just ditch all the insane high-end, super expensive enthusiast gear and workstation CPU.

Your GPU is going to be far more important in all of this, but even that has its limits! 3440x1440 @ 160fps with max settings and Ray Tracing, is not at all realistic for any existing graphics card for the latest AAA games.

If you check 4K benchmarks for the 3080 on the latest games (leaving out RT for a moment) most of the latest games will run at 80-100fps ballpark at max settings.

With those sort of high resolutions and frame-rates, usually some sort of compromise has to be found. Usually running at high rather than ultra, or being accepting of 60-80fps as a compromise on ultra, etc.

There is the RTX3090 which is faster with more VRAM, I would absolutely consider the extortionate cost relative to the small increase in performance doesn't justify it, but in your case it wouldn't be as much of as waste as the 5900X and all that high-end enthusiast gear.

Stellaris is also just a badly coded game, you would eventually get the same problem on any CPU, even the 5900X.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/why-obligatory-bad-lategame-performance-is-a-lie.1051378/

This makes a lot of sense thank you, I will create another build and reply to this thread...

So the PS5 style NVMe RAM scenario would be AMD CPU and AMD GPU only?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

>ASUS ROG STRIX HELIOS case
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3466-asus-rog-strix-helios-case-review-benchmarks
    The ROG Helios is a case for customers who are invested in the ROG product line, who will buy every component with Asus Aura Sync and want a case to match. That’s fine, and the Helios is guaranteed to sell like hotcakes because of it, but we can’t review a case based on the logo.

It’s good in stock thermal performance, specifically in GPU thermals, but it’s carried by the four stock fans and doesn’t have much room for improvement. There are a ton of small pieces and parts in a way that makes it seem like they decided to tick as many boxes as possible: GPU supports, vertical GPU mount, fan control, LED control, cable cover, carry handle et cetera. It’s a $280 case, which is almost beyond the realm of normal value comparisons; it comes with four pretty good fans, but even generously assuming someone would pay $20 apiece for them that leaves $200 for the enclosure. Of the showy cases we’ve reviewed, we prefer ones like the Cooler Master H500P Mesh or the Thermaltake View 71 TG, both of which have distinctive RGB-heavy appearances for less than $200. Neither of them have giant aluminum rails on the top, though, so you might need some help carrying them to LAN parties.

Bad case IMHO

Dont seem to be saving much going down in specs

My basket at Overclockers UK:
    • 1 x OcUK Gaming Rapier - AMD Ryzen 'Zen 3' 5600X Gaming PC = £2,705.90
      • Security Software:Unwanted
      • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
      • Case:Phanteks Enthoo 719 Full Tower DRGB Case - Black
      • Processor:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core 4.7GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
      • Memory:Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
      • Graphics:Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity OC 10GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card
      • M.2 Solid State Drive 1 (Primary Drive If Selected):WD Black 2TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS200T3X0C)
      • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 1:Unwanted
      • 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
      • Storage Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache Hard Drive - *System Stock*
    Total: £2,720.00 (includes shipping: £14.10)
    FS122OG_267573_105x105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You're also paying them to build it (£200-300) & for a Windows license (£100).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This would be an awesome build - a bit overkill on the storage imo

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (£509.99 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£52.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£193.64 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£130.38 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£339.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£95.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card (£763.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case (£136.49 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: KOLINK ENCLAVE 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.22 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £2300.07
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-11 18:31 GMT+0000

• Advertisement

You're not comparing like with like at all. You're comparing a shopping basket (which doesn't have a power supply or Windows) with a pre-built PC.

Example here on CCL, a PC configured with 5800X, RTX3080, 32GB Ram, 2TB M2 NVME based machine with Windows 10 is £2,500.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/shadow-hawk/ccl-shadow-hawk-gt-gaming-pc/06020600050200000000000000000005/

Build it yourself and save a hundred quid or two.

But add a power supply and Win10 to your original basket, and then try find it as a pre-build, and the price would be closer to 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

This is bonkers but roughly matching the Overclockers build price while splurging all over the place compared to my own taste, e.g. chromax black cooler, blingy/motherboard maker matching 3080, 8TB spinning rust, copy of windows and more tbh! It's kinda highlighting Homelander's point I guess that pre-builds like this have really big premiums in pricing.

Hyzepher: for this kind of build the 3200MHz ram stands out as saving a little too much, likewise a 5400rpm disk and the psu.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (£571.51 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£193.64 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£166.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£359.89 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Ultrastar 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£163.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card (£793.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£133.07 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£115.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £2682.02

• Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

your spending 2000 two much
    both nvida and amd will drop prices soon
    your case costs too much
    start off with cheaper build

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

bubbagumss wrote: »
    your case costs too much

Either a slightly cheaper case or a flat out better one for the price would be nice but the rest of your post makes little sense. Its the OP's choice as to how much they want to spend on their new rig, our concern should be making sure they get the best possible system for their intended purpose at their given budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

bubbagumss wrote: »
    your case costs too much
    Take no notice of that guy...he is the resident troll..just makes new accounts all the time to post absolute horrendous advice to people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just dropped in say Hi fellow Stellaris player... in truth I'm a bit obsessed with it. It's very pretty on an Ultrawide.

Just dropped in say Hi fellow Stellaris player... in truth I'm a bit obsessed with it. It's very pretty on an Ultrawide.

I am going to load it up now just to look!

I have all the DLC too :D

Doesnt have HDR though!

Advertisement