Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Photos ending Free unlimited photo Storage on June 2021

Options
  • 11-11-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

FYI,

Google is stopping free unlimited photo storage from June 2021. https://t.co/Ix8tlnjFmt

Any photos uploaded before this date are ok and pixel users can still avail of the unlimited free photo storage.

This is a serious bummer for me as this is what I use to store all my pics/videos, I upload them from
    iPhone.

Just wondering if anyone has started to look into the different alternative online storage options. iCloud and google one 200GB are 9.99pm but was hoping to get the storage cheaper.

I just started to export all 32,000 pics and videos from google photos with a view to storing the locally and also uploading the onto a cloud storage space.

Would like to have the auto upload option available for my photos from iPhone with whatever storage I choose.

BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I'm in the same boat, Im planning on buying a NAS system with raid then downloading all my photos to it and having them in both places. then after June Ill only upload to the NAS system after the free 15Gb is used up on google photos.
    All my older photos will be on google and the NAS.

Would also like to have an alternative to google as it was so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Everything you store on Google photos before that date doesn't count towards the storage limit. Time to get uploading everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

One option is that Prime gives you unlimited storage for Photos - and the Amazon app auto uploads as well.

In terms of cost though Google, Onedrive/Microsoft, and Amazon are all pretty such aligned on cloud storage prices - per TB that is if you want to store video and suchlike.

I thought I was getting a great deal a couple of years back when
    I signed up for an Amazon unlimited storage plan - however that changed eventually - which all of them seem to do ! - Now I have the prime photo storage - and a 59 dollar plan a year that gives me 1TB to store anything.

So for those of you who use Google- it might just be better to bite the bullet and pay Google for storage (I guess that's what they are counting on). As you might get a great deal elsewhere - however, it will eventually change!

On local storage - I use local NAS servers and upload to Amazon myself - however lately I'm questioning whether NAS storage is actually worth the cost - as there is a hidden cost with having to replace disks and suchlike regularly.

Another point to consider is that you can probably get storage cheaper from one of the less well known cloud storage providers - but you might end up with TBs of stuff in an awkward location down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fairly sure I read that Google were going to start charging 2 quid a month for 100G..

If that's correct, you'd be a while recouping the cost of your own NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

lawred2 wrote: »
    Fairly sure I read that Google were going to start charging 2 quid a month for 100G..

If that's correct, you'd be a while recouping the cost of your own NAS

True but that all depends on how much storage you need, I think I have 3 or 4 TB of family photos and videos, I would also prefer to have them accessible like they are with google photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I have thousands of photos but none of them are sorted into folders, would anyone recommend any particular piece of software to organise them before I upload them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I looked at various options of NAS, various cloud options etc but ended up biting the bullet and taking a plan with Google recently. I have my photos and videos on a 2tb harddrive which is backed up onto Google cloud and all my pixel photos do as well. I find it great that all my photos are available on the phone, tablet etc. and love that they are searchable by keywords and are automatically sorted by dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I have a synology nas but don’t use it for photo backup just sync general folders. I’m going to look into google photos, iCloud and Amazon prime.

I recently created a a backup of all my google photos (33,000) and was surprised that it only took up 100GB of storage so maybe 200GB option for the time being after June 2021 might work. As I could just remove all photos backed up before June 2021 and back that up to my nas on two different drives. That would probably do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have thousands of photos but none of them are sorted into folders, would anyone recommend any particular piece of software to organise them before I upload them?

Google will automatically timeline them together if thats all you need.

Advertisement