Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next Chapter - Being Better Than Most People At Most Things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Started with 16 minutes of mobility work, then...

A) Hang Power Clean Complex - Tall / ATK / BTK:
    60kg 2x3
    65kg 2x3
    70kg x3

B) Front Squat:
    110kg 6x3

C) Pause Off The Floor Deadlift:
    130kg 5x4

D) Comp Bench:
    140kg x1 @8.5
    135kg 12x1

OTHER - Superset to benching:
    Pull Ups 5x8
    Chin Ups 5x8

Total Time: 88mins

That was a nice session. Took some vids to review tekkers and not much to work on. Which sadly means the only way to get better is keep training.

Front squat immediately improved with a focus on elbows up.

Deads feel so light that there's no point, but given my chequered past I'll keep plugging away at lower intensities.

Bench really started to hop later in the singles. The 12th was possibly the best.

And I was VERY happy to get thru all 80 pull / chin reps. 2 more sessions of them to go before making a call to come back in volume and up in weight, or to plug on and attempt to work towards 100 in a given session.

As my bodyweight continues to come down, it might be nice to get that 100 checked off.

-
    -
    -

(13/12)

BikeErg - 30 minute recovery ride
    57% MHR avg

d91xH7.jpg

The novelty of the BikeErg has yet to wear off, so getting after it while it's good.

Brought my driver home from work and managed to crack the handlebar bolts open, so was able to flip the bars around the correct way finally.

Baby arrived home during the last 5 minutes so hopped on and grabbed him so he could help me finish off.

Bit of a nothing work all in all, but some valuable activity nonetheless.

60 minute run on the cards tomorrow. Gotta decide whether to do it early, or while the baby sleeps.

-
    -
    -

(14/12)

10.01km @ 6m 20s
    1hr 03min
    74% MHR avg

"I don't wanna, I don't wanna, I don't wanna" - the title of today's run.

Was working from early at the desk. Got up once to eat but that was about it. VERY stiff from the last few days training and really wanted to get some mobility work done before heading off, but ran outta time so just laced up the shoes and got moving.

I KNOW I'm carrying a lot of fatigue, and I've run 15k/10k/10k in the last 5 days which is a huge amount of distance for me, but I'm still a bit disappointed I'm not running faster.

Kinda feels like it should be clicking by now. But I'm still new so I'll keep just plugging away getting the miles in!

-
    -
    -

(15/13)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I KNOW I'm carrying a lot of fatigue, and I've run 15k/10k/10k in the last 5 days which is a huge amount of distance for me, but I'm still a bit disappointed I'm not running faster.

Why?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Why?

I think the main issue is that my data from the start is off so I've seen no improvement.

I was running with a buddy on some runs, and at the end his strava reading was 1-2km less than mine which had a corresponding effect on km splits of his being 30-45s more than mine.

So while my true splits back at the start were somewhere between 6.20-6.45 compared to 6.10-6.20 for the most part now, my strava logged them around the 5.45 range.

Feels like I'm going backwards, even tho on an intellectual level I know I'm not!!!

• Advertisement

A) Hang Power Clean:
    60/65/70kg x6 - tall / atk / btk
    75/80/85/90/95kg x2
    97/100/102/105 x1

B) Larsen Press:
    125kg x1 @8
    120kg 8x2

C) Close Grip Bench:
    97.5kg x7
    102.5kg x7
    97.5kg 3x7

The power cleans were slick AF today. Can really feel the rhythm starting to come back to me. Plan will continue to be 2 days light tekkers before squats & deads, and 1 day working up to a circa max.

Larsen press felt good today too, but had some real hit and miss reps.

Didn't do any accessory work due to time pressure, some low level fatigue and a general apathy towards it today. Back tomorrow for more so wanna stay fresh-ish.

The C2 BikeErg WOD for today looks lovely so once the baby's down and the wife's off working I'll hit that tonight - 6 on / 3 easy x4 - will aim for 2:00/1,000 splits on the first and try to go negative from there.

-
    -
    -

(16/14)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think the main issue is that my data from the start is off so I've seen no improvement.

I was running with a buddy on some runs, and at the end his strava reading was 1-2km less than mine which had a corresponding effect on km splits of his being 30-45s more than mine.

So while my true splits back at the start were somewhere between 6.20-6.45 compared to 6.10-6.20 for the most part now, my strava logged them around the 5.45 range.

Feels like I'm going backwards, even tho on an intellectual level I know I'm not!!!

None of that is important. What is most important if you are truly a beginner is getting out and building the base, getting your body accustomed to the mileage, then when the time is right, making it more complicated.

From your background in other sports, you understand the concept of addressing different areas with different workouts, and building towards competition with periodisation (although you mention a historic issue with peaking at the wrong time).

Do you have a plan for adding the kind of structure to your running that (I think) is present in your gym stuff? That’s what will eventually lead to meaningful improvements, not competing over Strava stats with running buddies on easy runs.

For now, you just need to put in the miles. Good luck with it.

BikeErg - 3 minutes on / 2 minutes easy x5 (damper 5)

iEIAut.jpg

The earlier plan did not happen. Baby was a 'mare to get asleep (but adorably cute the way he popped his head out the door, saw me, then slowly closed it again when he realised he was caught, 3 times) so cut the times and decided to push the pace to be done inside 30 minutes.

First round I rode 1 minute each at 2.00 / 1.52 / 1.45 and just took the average of that as the remaining rounds, then on the final round I decided I'd just try hold above 80rpm and see what happened.

Fairly happy with that one. It's amazing how quick the legs start to go while the HR stays low. Peak HR didn't even break 85% at any point but it hurt real nice.

Murph_D wrote: »
    None of that is important. What is most important if you are truly a beginner is getting out and building the base, getting your body accustomed to the mileage, then when the time is right, making it more complicated.

From your background in other sports, you understand the concept of addressing different areas with different workouts, and building towards competition with periodisation (although you mention a historic issue with peaking at the wrong time).

Yah, very fair. And it's exactly what I'd tell someone getting into strength sport!
    Do you have a plan for adding the kind of structure to your running that (I think) is present in your gym stuff? That’s what will eventually lead to meaningful improvements, not competing over Strava stats with running buddies on easy runs.

For now, you just need to put in the miles. Good luck with it.

Not really. I've been thru a few different training books now trying to decide what I should be doing. The common consensus from a different thread was start training for a 10km or half marathon during the first year and just see what happens from there.

I don't think I'm really emotionally ready for the hard tempo or interval runs yet as I'm still treating this as a bit of head space and time for myself, and I want it to be pleasant for as long as possible.

A) High Bar Squat:
    100kg 3x5

B) Hang Power Clean Tekkers - x3 Tall / x2 ATK / x1 BTK:
    60kg - 3 sets

C) Deadlift:
    140kg 3x4

D) Long Pause Bench:
    135kg x1 @ 8 - niiiiiice
    120kg x5 @ 8.5
    115kg 2x5

E) Touch and Go Bench:
    105kg 6x6

Had a lovely long hip and lower back love warm up which made the squats feel LOVELY. Not necessarily strong, but smooth AF.

Dropped volume on the lower body work back a bit, and did no accessory work either as I was feeling fairly rough.

Same story with the bench, shoulda been 10% or so heavier, but better to get it done smoothly wiht no stress than bust myself just cos the program says so.

I'm not training for anything other than progress right now so sticking with the long game.

Big chunky takeaway from Daata en route now to ...eh... carb up (?!?!) ahead of tomorrows run.

-
    -
    -

(18/15)

• Advertisement

Bit of a (first ever) Brick sesh today...

BikeErg:
    15.01km @ 2m 05s/1,000m
    31m 30s
    69% MHR avg

Run:
    6.06km @ 5m 48s
    35m 10s
    76% MHR avg

So I've no idea what happened today. I ran about 30s/km faster off the bike than I do if I'm just running, at only 2% avg HR higher. I never warm up before runs, but that's ridiculous. As soon as I hopped off the bike I was straight out the back dooe and thru the side gate. Felt VERY springy from the get go and I knew I was running quicker than normal, but even at that I'm shocked.

Called an audible on the long run for today and pushed to tomorrow cos I had one beer too many last night, and combined with the Indian I wasn't emotionally ready for an hour and a half on my feet.

Very strange all together but delighted I got some good honest work done.

Average HR all the way thru the sesh over 72min was 72%.

-
    -
    -

(19/16)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bit of a (first ever) Brick sesh today...

BikeErg:
    15.01km @ 2m 05s/1,000m
    31m 30s
    69% MHR avg

Run:
    6.06km @ 5m 48s
    35m 10s
    76% MHR avg

So I've no idea what happened today. I ran about 30s/km faster off the bike than I do if I'm just running, at only 2% avg HR higher. I never warm up before runs, but that's ridiculous. As soon as I hopped off the bike I was straight out the back dooe and thru the side gate. Felt VERY springy from the get go and I knew I was running quicker than normal, but even at that I'm shocked.

Called an audible on the long run for today and pushed to tomorrow cos I had one beer too many last night, and combined with the Indian I wasn't emotionally ready for an hour and a half on my feet.

Very strange all together but delighted I got some good honest work done.

Average HR all the way thru the sesh over 72min was 72%.

-
    -
    -

(19/16)
    From my tri days I used to run 5k off the bike. Sometimes longer but usually off hard turbo sessions, 5k. It was usually a decent tempo pace. Main purpose was to practice transition and get over wobbly legs to run. Heart is pumping, you are warmed up, the fresh air cools you down externally while your muscles are warm. So, you can get right into it. Its why you need a few km or 15-20 min to warm up before a session.

From my tri days I used to run 5k off the bike. Sometimes longer but usually off hard turbo sessions, 5k. It was usually a decent tempo pace. Main purpose was to practice transition and get over wobbly legs to run. Heart is pumping, you are warmed up, the fresh air cools you down externally while your muscles are warm. So, you can get right into it. Its why you need a few km or 15-20 min to warm up before a session.

Yah it was very surprising altogether. Mostly because I saw such a jump in pace without any real deviation in HR.

15.1km @ 6m 09s
    1hr 32m 33s
    77% MHR

That was whopper.

The out portion of the route is a real bitch, being mostly all up hill and I felt like training to push a little bit this morning so average HR ended up higher. GAP was 6m 03s for the run.

Everything felt great. None of the usual aches or pains I've been experiencing as I've got into things. And no worry at all that I'd come home with a sore knee / hip / ankle / shin.

Very positive feeling off today.

And got out early so was finished before I'd normally be starting it so I dunno what to be doing with myself now. Might clean the bathroom!

4 runs. 4 cycles. 3 lifts. Great week...

...setting a completely unrealistic expectation for the future.

TOTAL WEEKLY MILEAGE -v- last
    Run - 41.1km -v- 28km
    BikeErg - 52.4km -v- 28km

-
    -
    -

(20/17)

5.16km @ 5m 49s
    29m 59s
    78% MHR (70% HRR)

Definitely overcooked that one a bit.

I put today's run off since about 11am, and only got it done after 5. Went out feeling SURPRISINGLY strong after yesterdays long run.

The intention was to just bank a few miles today ahead of a longer run Wednesday.

I felt really good until about half way, and while I run blind (no HR reading), I knew I was starting to move outta the 7x% range so tried to ease off a tad.

Seems I'm finally starting to see the fitness I've spent the last 3 months trying to build.

The danger now is I'll get greedy and stop doing the things that have worked to get me here. Must remember that.

Back on the bike after the baby goes down for 4/3/2/1k w/ 3 minute easy recoveries.

-
    -
    -

(21/18)

BikeErg - 4/3/2/1km w/ 3 min easy pedal recovery
    Avg HR 74% (HR on monitor screen doesn't include the 3 minute recoveries)

RrYe1E.jpg

I really enjoyed the first 3 intervals.

No real reason to be training at a 2.00.00/1,000m baseline pace other than based off row experience, if I'm comfortable there for distances and intervals then I should get thru 4,000m in < 7 minutes.

First 3 rounds ridden at damper 5 and were very comfortable.

Decided to crank it to damper 10 for the last 1,000m blast and push it while trying to match previous rounds RPM.

When it jumped to < 1m 30s / 1,000m within the first few seconds I knew I was f*cked. Absolute fly and die pace.

Average watts for the 2 minutes was about 420w. Which seems on the low side. Not sure if the BikeErg would give equal watts to what I'd see on a real bike. Not sure it even matters.

That was fun. The 3 min cool down pedal was just about enough to have me walk away from it.

Highest my HR's been in a LONG time at 95% of true max.

-
    -
    -

(21/17)

Today went something like this...

Baby wakes at 5am. I go to check on him. He climbs on me for a cuddle. I take him to the spare room. Was wife's turn to get up with him but when she came in I told her to go back to bed because I was already wide awake and she'd a busy day. Second or third 5am start for me.

Minded him until 1pm, left for work.

Was in work until about 7pm and ate 3 times (eh.. training volume much?).

Procrastinated training all day. Scrapped planned workout. Decided on something "easy".

500m row, 10 pull ups, 10 dips, 500m row, 9 pull ups etc...

Figured it'd take about 40 mins.

Did the first 500m row, managed 4 pull ups, someone had turned gravity up to 11 so I chucked my heart rate monitor back in my bag and said "f*ck this".

Thus ends my 2021 training streak.

BUT I've still more sessions done than days in the year so I'm doing ok.

-
    -
    -

(21/18)

Today went something like this...

Baby wakes at 5am. I go to check on him. He climbs on me for a cuddle. I take him to the spare room. Was wife's turn to get up with him but when she came in I told her to go back to bed because I was already wide awake and she'd a busy day. Second or third 5am start for me.

Minded him until 1pm, left for work.

Was in work until about 7pm and ate 3 times (eh.. training volume much?).

Procrastinated training all day. Scrapped planned workout. Decided on something "easy".

500m row, 10 pull ups, 10 dips, 500m row, 9 pull ups etc...

Figured it'd take about 40 mins.

Did the first 500m row, managed 4 pull ups, someone had turned gravity up to 11 so I chucked my heart rate monitor back in my bag and said "f*ck this".

Thus ends my 2021 training streak.

BUT I've still more sessions done than days in the year so I'm doing ok.

-
    -
    -

(21/18)
    Same. Workout planned but went uber easy instead. At least you did something and yes, you are doing ok!

BikeErg - 30 min recovery ride
    13,666m
    73% MHR

Felt good to do SOMETHING today.

Still feeling a bit rough all over, but getting back to normal.

Will try lift some light things tomorrow and go for a short run.

-
    -
    -

(22/19)

A) Power Clean Tekkers - x2 tall, x2 atk, x2 btk:
    60kg x3 rounds

B1) Overhead Press:
    60kg 3x5

B2) Inverted Row:
    3x10

C) Pause Squat:
    90kg 3x5

D1) Bench:
    95kg 3x5

D2) Barbell Curl:
    20kg 3x15

Started off with a 20 minute hip & core mobility / stability session.

At a bit of a loose end time wise for the first half of the day today so got some lifting done. Will run before I gotta pick the kid up from his MIL too.

The session was grand. All super easy. Just wanted to shift some tin and feel a bit of gra for it.

Not sure if I fancy this easy 5k tho, I'm stuck out without my normal running shoes and the ones I have on are a half size too big so we'll see how that goes.

-
    -
    -

(23/21)

• Advertisement

Not sure if I fancy this easy 5k tho, I'm stuck out without my normal running shoes and the ones I have on are a half size too big so we'll see how that goes.

-
    -
    -

(23/20)

Thicker socks or 2x pairs of socks. Half size too big is grand for easy runs. You need better lockdown for tempo etc.

Thicker socks or 2x pairs of socks. Half size too big is grand for easy runs. You need better lockdown for tempo etc.

Had a pair of hiking socks in the car. This worked perfectly. THank you! Never woulda thought of it otherwise.

approx. 5km @ 5m 51s
    29m 16s
    78% MHR / 70% HRR

MILs gaff is pretty much exactly 2.5km from RTE, so ran there and back.

Left my phone in the car, started the stop watch, closed and locked the boot and just grabbed it when I got back. Allowed 10 seconds for the closing and opening.

On the quick side a bit again, but still in that magic HRR range so not the worst.

Little play on the beach after with P2 had me on my feet for another 75ish mins. Very active day but very productive work wise too.

Happy out. Last episode of Cobra Kai Season 3 tonight :o

-
    -
    -

(24/21)

BikeErg
    10,000m warm up @ 2m 05s, then;
    1,500m @ 1m 56s avg, 2 min easy pedal x5
    HR avg 70%

I kinda feel this is turning into as much a general training log as anything :(

Was supposed to lift and run today, just didn't have it in me. Texted run bud to get our first one in since the half marathon back on dec 23rd for tomorrow to ensure some accountability. He's been struck down with a plague since, so only 8-10k planned.

If I feel good I may go out again Sunday.

Confident if I just keep tipping away slowly over the coming days / week I'll be back to normal. Just have some general fatigue but no specific aches or pains.

-
    -
    -

(25/22)

11.35km @ 6m 16s
    1hr 11min
    73% MHR / 63% HRR

That was cracking good fun. First run with someone in about a month. Was great to catch up and chat life and business.

Was shocked to come home and see 73% as avg HR because if you asked me I'd have RPE'd it > 80%.

Perhaps chatting, listening and getting air in is more challenging than just zoning out :D

Anyway, great run, delighted to get out, felt amazing after it, had a lovely nap to recover, a great conversation with one of my employees over the phone about what we can do now over the coming weeks since it's likely the biz will be closed until April now, and I'm pumped and energised to get stuck into some work tonight and next week.

-
    -
    -

(26/23)

Plan:
    15k bike
    8k run

Actual:
    5.9k bike, then;

Baby won't nap and wife can't get him down. I try. For almost an hour.

Eventually give up and mind him while wife finishes working.

All my training time is now gone as parents arrive. Parents leave as dinner starts. Then it's time to wind down before bed as I type this.

Have hit the "****kit" button at this stage.

Couple of Guinness. Write the day off. Back at it tomorrow.

TOTAL WEEKLY MILEAGE -v- last
    Run - 22.4km -v- 41.1km
    BikeErg - 55km -v- 52.4km

-
    -
    -

(26/24) - not counting 15 minutes on the bike as a training session

Brick Sesh Today...

BikeErg:
    10,000m @ 2.03.9avg
    20m 39s
    70% MHR / 59% HRR

Run:
    8km @ 5m 45s
    45m 59s
    77% MHR / 69% HRR

Said to my wife when I got in "that's the best run I've done". Was basing that purely off how I felt, but looking at the stats now I wasn't wrong.

Previous "best" run was 6km @ 5m 48s and same MHR / HRR off a bike ride as well. So to sustain a faster pace for 2km longer and come back home BURSTING with energy is amazing.

It's one of those rare days where everything just feels right.

There's this rule of 10 in lifting - for every 10 workouts 8 will be average box checkers, 1 will feel amazingly **** - so bad you wonder why you even bother, and 1 - maybe not even 1/10, more like 1/20 - you will feel completely unstoppable.

I realise compared to most here the times are on the "hurry up would ya?" side of average, but I'm super chuffed with todays effort. It just FELT quick.

Bike was grand. Really started to build into it and get a nice rhythm as the ride went on. Might see a < 20min/10km effort some time soon.

-
    -
    -

(27/25)

A) Hang Power Clean Tech - x2 tall/atk/btk:
    60kg x3 rounds

B) Squat:
    100kg 5x5

C) Deadlift:
    140kg 6x4

D) Comp Bench:
    135kg x1 @8
    120kg x5 @8.5
    115kg 3x5

E) Mid Grip Bench:
    85kg x11
    90kg x11 @8
    85kg 3x11

OTHER - done as supersets:
    Pull Up 5x3 +5kg
    Chin Up 5x3 +5kg

Yah that was great. First proper lifting session in quite some time. Maybe 2 weeks?!

Strength work felt unreal. I'm very well rested and recovered, no accumulated fatigue so not surprising. But did feel a bit rusty.

Anyway - good to get it done.

Hour run planned for the morning and then a full day with the baby cos my wife's slammed with work.

-
    -
    -

(28/26)

BikeErg:
    5 minute warm up
    30 minute MAF test - 14,549m @ 147bpm / 181w
    2 minute easy pedal
    5 minutes on / 2 minutes easy x4 - 191w each round

Total workout time was a 1hr 15min and somehow I managed to have an average HR of 66%. Go figure.

Felt like a bit of a softie today doing this. Was supposed to run this afternoon but just didn't have it in me to get out.

Wife was on a split shift so I was tryna run in her break, but ended up having to scramble out to get a new laptop for her instead and by the time I got back I was just too wiped to do anything.

Woulda liked to run tonight but she's on calls this eve, so figured something sweaty and long that I can watch the baby monitor on is an adequate substitute.

Life is CRAZY right now. Just as well my biz is closed until at least March 5th cos she's out the door and we're childminderless.

Balance will come back around I'm sure. Until then we just grab like by the ears and hang on.

-
    -
    -

(29/27)

• Advertisement

12.01km @ 6m 09s (GAP 6m 00s)
    1hr 13min
    77% MHR / 70% HRR

Great little run today. Longest mid week one to day. Didn't fancy it but smashed some pre workout (I know!) and figured if I still felt like crap at the end of the prom I'd turn back and still get 5k done.

Gradually got into it and continued up along the cliff walk. It was GLORIOUS when I was out, not so much now.

Delighted to have banked that one. It's quite a hilly route so seeing GAP get down to 6m 00s on a longer run is great. Might acutually see a < 2 hr half marathon at this rate.

-
    -
    -

(30/28)

Advertisement