Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ardfield, Douglas in cork a nice spot to buy?

Options
  • 11-11-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there. Just wondering if anyone knows if ardfield in Douglas would be a nice spot to buy a house? I know there’s hundreds of houses there, but in general, is it nice/safe/quite? There’s some houses for sale in Ardfield View and Ardfield Drive. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Hi there. Just wondering if anyone knows if ardfield in Douglas would be a nice spot to buy a house? I know there’s hundreds of houses there, but in general, is it nice/safe/quite? There’s some houses for sale in Ardfield View and Ardfield Drive. Thanks

Other than estate agents, I think it’s fair to say that most people would call that Grange rather than Douglas. Maybe there is something to be read into that alone...

But to be less smart arsey about it, there are pros and cons. It’s walking distance to school, SuperValu, Aldi, and the high frequency 206 bus service into town. But it is also a big characterless estate with a very young population and everything that goes with that.

Budget depending, I would go for a shïtty older house in a better location rather than a more modern house in a worse location. The old real estate adage really is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I rented a room in 2 different houses in Ardfield for a couple of years and know a couple of other people who live/lived there as well. I found it very safe and quiet, and I found the houses very well built and insulated compared to pretty much everywhere else I've lived in 35 years in Ireland - maybe this is standard now in newer builds, but they were the warmest houses I've ever lived in and had the best sound insulation, my housemate could be watching telly at top volume in the next room and I'd barely hear it.

As a single person I did find it a bit dull or characterless as the person above me said, but if I was looking for somewhere to raise a family I would definitely consider buying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

some may call it even Frankfield or Grange, Douglas it aint. I lived there for many years and found it to be very nice. Plenty of amenities and a good bus route etc. Never heard of trouble or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I think its bargain area to buy imo.

Similar to other posters, I lived there for a few years and the houses are very well insulated, most have gas heating systems and the bills were very low.

Mostly young families initially who purchased, so the age profile will have moved on since they were built.

Nice large parks around the estate with a lot of professionals living there.
    The Super Value nearby is lovely and super convenient.

Advertisement