Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wooden frame for basketball

• 12-11-2020 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

Hi - wondering if people can suggest how to build a wooden frame for a heavy basketball backboard and ring.

My garage is about 9 ft high, I want to build a frame attaching to the garage wall and fix the backboard to the frame.

So effectively the frame would be bolted to maybe 2 feet of the garage, and 2 feet above the garage, unsupported. So it needs to be fairly strong/rigid.

Can someone suggest what design. I'm thinking of buying some lengths of 2 x 4, maybe have 3 or 4 rows going top to bottom, and then join these with noggings, i think they are called. Make it as strong/rigid as possible. Then fix to wall.

Is there anything I need to look out for in particular? How to fix to wall securely, for instance. Or anything about being strong enough, or weather resistant?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do you have a roof overhang to deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Lumen wrote: »
    Do you have a roof overhang to deal with?

No, there's a slight overhang or lip at the top but I can bolt some baton out to have a flush vertical surface, and attach the frame to the batons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would get two pieces of channel iron or box section made up, with a "gimp" to cater for the lip.
    Ideally galvanise it
    Bolt through the garage wall to strips of steel plate on the inside to spread the load.
    Easy to remove when they move on :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Steel is your only man for this job.
    .build this in wood and it will eventually come down on someone hard.

Don't even consider making this out of wood.

I would get two pieces of channel iron or box section made up, with a "gimp" to cater for the lip.
    Ideally galvanise it
    Bolt through the garage wall to strips of steel plate on the inside to spread the load.
    Easy to remove when they move on :)

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of hoping to DIY it, i.e. not have to go further than local hardware store to procure the required materials. Now I am into drawings, and potentially having to google "gimp"!

I'm not too worried about this being immovable or one-time only, garage is due to be torn down in the next 18 months, this won't be re-suable elewhere.

• Advertisement

Anyone recommend where I could get this made in steel? South West Dublin location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thought about doing something similar on gable wall of house but after discussing with the 3 teenagers we opted for a standalone type off the shelf. Do not underestimate the robustness required. I know my lads like to hang out of the basket on occasion ! I see you are going down the steel frame route which makes sense. The wall type and thickness of garage wall will determine fixings type. More than likely 215mm hollow block so as already suggested bolt through with plates perhaps. Sorry don't have anyone to recommend in that area but google steel engineering services might identify a few, Facebook search also. The smaller gate fabricators could make something up for you I'd say. Galvanised would be a good idea too.

Advertisement