Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lack of smaller dogs available to rehome?

• 12-11-2020 4:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hello.

So, i'm not a regular around here but I have just seen the other locked post about buying pups.

I do not want to discuss buying pups but rather a phenomenon I have noticed.

I've noticed on any shelter websites etc that there are few smaller dogs. The pattern seems to be that the dogs are bigger breeds. I would need to get something a bit smaller as I could end up living in a flat and don't want a bigger dog to feel confined.

The only availability seems to be the sellers via farms etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm inundated with puppy requests right now & I've smaller dogs & run a Breed Club for a small breed. However just because a breed is small does not mean they will be suitable for a flat. My small Breed will run circles around the larger breeds. I'd suggest looking at lower energy bigger breeds/crosses & giving one of them a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Knine wrote: »
    I'm inundated with puppy requests right now & I've smaller dogs & run a Breed Club for a small breed. However just because a breed is small does not mean they will be suitable for a flat. My small Breed will run circles around the larger breeds. I'd suggest looking at lower energy bigger breeds/crosses & giving one of them a chance

Ok, fair points. But as a a general rule of thumb I would have assumed than a smaller dog would be more suitable to a flat than bigger dogs.

It's not so much an energy thing as I would be walking them a couple times a day anyway.

I will PM to discuss your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

To Knines point on larger breeds, sight hounds are known to be well suited to flats/apartments. When I lived in an apartment I always wanted one but landlord had a no pet rule so as soon as I got my own place, we got a lurcher. For her size, she takes up very little space (she practically folds in half or curls into a small ball when sleeping) and really only looks for 2 x 30 min walks a day. We have a back garden which she’s not overly fussed on....we get the odd zoomie out of her. But she’s happiest as long as you’re ok with her stealing the sofa and the bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its hard to find a dog at the moment. I've applied to one local rescue but they are inundated with requests and we haven't even had a homecheck. Not to mind we need to get a young dog or a pup as my children are turning four and one has special needs (mild ID). I've been hoping we'd find one by word of mouth. Buying a pup seems so wrong to me but it will probably come down to that in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Dahdum wrote: »
    To Knines point on larger breeds, sight hounds are known to be well suited to flats/apartments. When I lived in an apartment I always wanted one but landlord had a no pet rule so as soon as I got my own place, we got a lurcher. For her size, she takes up very little space (she practically folds in half or curls into a small ball when sleeping) and really only looks for 2 x 30 min walks a day. We have a back garden which she’s not overly fussed on....we get the odd zoomie out of her. But she’s happiest as long as you’re ok with her stealing the sofa and the bed!

We had a lurcher too and they are a very easy dog to care for. A good hour run per day and they'll be happy.
    We had Parsons Russel too and they kept each other busy. But the smaller terrier needed more attention than the lurcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My friend has been trying to rehome a pup since around this time last year! Everyone told her to wait until after Christmas and then the pandemic happened. :( She's looking for lab/retriever sized though not a small dog. We live in a small terraced house and have a retriever (hopefully 2 again in the new year). They snooze all day blocking the stairs/hall/cooker/door - basically wherever they can get in the way lol :D There's a few dogs on our road and the majority would be all large dogs too. The park is beside us though.

fits wrote: »
    Its hard to find a dog at the moment. I've applied to one local rescue but they are inundated with requests and we haven't even had a homecheck. Not to mind we need to get a young dog or a pup as my children are turning four and one has special needs (mild ID). I've been hoping we'd find one by word of mouth. Buying a pup seems so wrong to me but it will probably come down to that in the end.

There is nothing wrong with buying a quality puppy from a Reputable Breeder that will have fully health tested parents who have stable temperaments. The Breeder can pick a puppy suitable for your family situation.

I cannot emphasise enough how particularly important this is when a family has a child with special needs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

There is nothing wrong with buying a quality puppy from a Reputable Breeder that will have fully health tested parents who have stable temperaments. The Breeder can pick a puppy suitable for your family situation.

I cannot emphasise enough how particularly important this is when a family has a child with special needs!

I agree. My biggest issue with buying is the dodgy chancers.. I would be doing a lot of homework and only buying from a decent breeder.

I’m not convinced it needs to be a pedigree pup at all. But it does need to be a good type alright. I’d be happy with a medium sized cross breed. Had lurchers in the past and I loved them. They were very healthy dogs also. But I really want something very trainable now. I’m half looking at working dog breeders eg gun dogs. I’m not a big believer in kennel club show dogs at all. etc.

fits wrote: »
    I’m not convinced it needs to be a pedigree pup at all. But it does need to be a good type alright. I’d be happy with a medium sized cross breed. Had lurchers in the past and I loved them. They were very healthy dogs also. But I really want something very trainable now. I’m half looking at working dog breeders eg gun dogs. I’m not a big believer in kennel club show dogs at all. etc.

How do you know what characteristics a cross breed is going to have or how easy to train it will be ? You do realise many of the working dog Breeders are also involved with showing? That the IKC is heavily involved with these Clubs too.

BTW I have a daughter with a severe disability & dogs that both show & work!

• Advertisement

I guess I phrased it badly :)

What I mean is that I prefer dogs bred to do a job to dogs that are bred for appearance.

I realise not all kennel club dogs are bred for appearance, its just that many good breeds have been ruined through bad breeding. That's all.

There are many cross bred litters where both parents are known. (and Im not talking about doodles).

Anyway if you do know of something suitable, please think of us.

I'd be supporting a Reputable Breeder over a cross breed breeder every time. There are far too many ' accidental' breeders. Right now there is a market for these dogs but I do believe that the bottom will fall out of it & we will have a massive dog welfare issue in the near future. You would not believe the amount of enquiries I get to use my male dogs on cross breeds!

Does your child like dogs, how does he/she interact with them? My daughter would be very attached to our dogs & so a healthy long lived breed is essential. They also never get tired of playing with her but she needs a lot of supervision with them! She has conversations with them as if they are a person! I do believe a dog is a great asset to the life of a child with a disability once the right dog is chosen!

I'd be supporting a Reputable Breeder over a cross breed breeder every time. There are far too many ' accidental' breeders. Right now there is a market for these dogs but I do believe that the bottom will fall out of it & we will have a massive dog welfare issue in the near future. You would not believe the amount of enquiries I get to use my male dogs on cross breeds!

Does your child like dogs, how does he/she interact with them? My daughter would be very attached to our dogs & so a healthy long lived breed is essential. They also never get tired of playing with her but she needs a lot of supervision with them! She has conversations with them as if they are a person! I do believe a dog is a great asset to the life of a child with a disability once the right dog is chosen!

The problem is I don't know any reputable breeders :) And I'm not sure how to look. I'm wary of both rescues and breeders to be honest.

Yes my boy loves dogs. My childminder has three dogs (all cross breeds) and he plays with them constantly. They get so excited when they see him coming. In the past he could be a little rough with them - we didnt let him- but I think he is getting more sense now. He's going to find it hard to make friends so I think a dog would be a real addition to the household.

Plus he is going to outgrow his buggy soon. He is well able to walk but I think a dog would really help to bring him along on family walks etc. And just be company for both the boys at home.

We live on a quiet country lane with 20 acres behind the house. We keep horses too. Dog would live in the house.

I'm probably derailing this thread now but when my child outgrew her buggy, I got her the adult clip pushchair, it is great.

I know the majority of the Reputable Breeders so if you need help with any specific breed, then you are welcome to PM me. The main issue is they all have waiting lists. My daughter can also get a bit rough at times so great supervision is the key.

I'm probably derailing this thread now but when my child outgrew her buggy, I got her the adult clip pushchair, it is great.

I know the majority of the Reputable Breeders so if you need help with any specific breed, then you are welcome to PM me. The main issue is they all have waiting lists. My daughter can also get a bit rough at times so great supervision is the key.

Could you clear your pms?

Sorry! Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

a greyhound can live anywhere and usually they have had terrible treatment in their short lives, there are loads of them available,. 2 x 20 minute walks per day and 2 x dinners and all day sleeping on the sofa i cannot recommend them more. I have had about 30 dogs in my life and 4 years ago i rescued a greyhound best dog ever . little or no shedding gentle quiet no aggression the most peaceful and lovely animals i am about to rescue another one in December. Angelic elegant creatures is the only way I can describe them . they are being sent to Italy where they are loved and to germany we should adopt more of them here. there is a lovely greyhound community and all very supportive well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

a greyhound can live anywhere and usually they have had terrible treatment in their short lives, there are loads of them available,. 2 x 20 minute walks per day and 2 x dinners and all day sleeping on the sofa i cannot recommend them more. I have had about 30 dogs in my life and 4 years ago i rescued a greyhound best dog ever . little or no shedding gentle quiet no aggression the most peaceful and lovely animals i am about to rescue another one in December. Angelic elegant creatures is the only way I can describe them . they are being sent to Italy where they are loved and to germany we should adopt more of them here. there is a lovely greyhound community and all very supportive well worth it.

Beautiful post; thank you!

Actually I know several greyhound owners & the dogs are very well looked after, it is not true that they all have terrible lives. Yes of course like anything else money related there are plenty of bad apples out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Actually I know several greyhound owners & the dogs are very well looked after, it is not true that they all have terrible lives. Yes of course like anything else money related there are plenty of bad apples out there.

of course there are good owners but mostly there are unscrupulous ones who only see their value in euros, speed and betting, these end up dead from drug over doses and abuse, unfixed injuries need i go on ? There are many in the various rescues, these are the greyhounds i am talking about. These need homes and love and care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement