Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x05 'Die Trying' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Just something I was wondering about, is it mandatory to have a scene with somebody crying in every episode? I think it's 5/5 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Can I have a ham and cheese pizza please.

First few minutes in I thought finally Burnham is going to get systematically slapped down and the crew were along with her. However once again the episode was all over the road.
    The script was absolutely terrible, the whole thing with the crew being obstreperous with the debrief was bad enough on top of Burnham once again doing the disobeying orders routine but the whole Georgeou blinking bit was ridiculous. Also no door on the shuttle bay Ffs, the poking is intentional.

It’s fairly clear I think that there in another universe and that’s the get out clause for this show.

Honestly I'm happy to leave that Daniels stuff in the past and forget about it, never worked for me, from his awful uniform to the storyline itself.

Does not detract from the point, though.

I've always been worried about their ability to futurist tech that far ahead of TNG era. They should have gone 150 years beyond TNG end time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say I really enjoyed that episode. Would have loved a better look at the new Federation ships do but I see what they mean by separates floating nacelles. Very interesting. I have to say do I found the medical holograms very annoying. So they lose one crew member now but again another or will he stay on Discovery I wonder. I thought Nhan leaving was handled very well. Now all they need to do is get rid of Micheal and Georgio who added nothing to this episode at all or any of the 4 episodes before it really. I did not find Micheal too bad or annoying this episode but think overall the show would be better without her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I guess you just have to accept that technology may have stagnated severely or even regressed.

They’re talking about “the dark ages” which it’s quite possible they could be living in.

If you think about it in terms of reality of how technology has developed over the last 2000+ years in our society, not a hell of a lot changed from Roman times until the 19th century. If anything, a lot of the world went backwards for several centuries.

Then all of a sudden you hit the industrial revolution and technology makes more progress in a century than it probably made in the rest of human history and has continued at breakneck pace as we figure out how the world works and unravel things through science.

In 200 years we have gone from the horse and cart to cars, mass aviation, supersonic flight, space travel and from smoke signals to fast broadband that’s taken for granted.

We’ve gone from primitive, often superstitious knowledge of biology and medicine to being able to manipulate viral RNA to programme our own immune systems to end a pandemic.

Who’s to say that technology doesn’t plateau at certain points? Or, like what’s happened us, certain technologies plough ahead while others stablise.

It’s quite plausible that a spacefaring, very high tech culture remains relatively fundamentally stable for centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ok. I think I just have to accept that I'm never going to really like what they're doing with Discovery.

Even when they have storylines that in theory I like, their execution, writing, and direction leave me clinching my jaw.

It'll just never feel like Star Trek for me... it feels more like CW does Star Trek.

I get just enough out of it to keep watching I think, but I don't think I'm ever going to get that awesome, thoughtful sense of being Wow'ed that previous series gave me. Maybe just accepting it as surface level teen-drama fare and giving up any hope and expectation of anything with any depth whatsoever will make episodes more enjoyable.

For this one - good ideas in there. But as usual, overwrought as could be. For a minute, it looked like they might give a different crewman something to do, having Nahn there when they're dealing with someone else of her species. He needs to be convinced to help them, great, she can step up and talk him through loss, as they've both lost their families and are there together, far from their mutual home, and... oh, wait, no, Burnham is the one to talk him down, because no-one else can do anything ever. Just like with Adira last week,

Also, did it have to be a problem that Burnham knew all about? Like, does she have to be the one to explain everything about everything to everyone? Even a thousand years in the future? That they'd been on this planet, with this problem, and these seeds from this thing (which a thousand years later is still floating around apparantly) could cure them, and you future people don't know shit about anything... Could it not have been simplified to a bit of a give and take mutual problem-solving conversation - so instead the Starfleet lads already know the how's and why's, but alas the nearest seed vault is 5 months away. That's when the Disco's could have chimed in that they'd be there and back in a jif, if they were just trusted. Bish Bash Bosh. But alas it's like the writers refuse to let a conversation occur where anyone knows anything other than the Discos. It totally kills the whole 'fish out of water' thing of being in the future...

I just feel like the whole universe is sitting there twiddling its thumbs until Burnham turns up to tell them whats what. And I have a TERRIBLE feeling about this music subplot...

I liked the chairs that just 'float' though, and pretty much all the starfleet 'bubble' design elements..

That whole “does this feel like home” bit strikes me as an intro to the federation being not what it seems.

AMKC wrote: »
    I have to say I really enjoyed that episode. Would have loved a better look at the new Federation ships do but I see what they mean by separates floating nacelles. Very interesting. I have to say do I found the medical holograms very annoying. So they lose one crew member now but again another or will he stay on Discovery I wonder. I thought Nhan leaving was handled very well. Now all they need to do is get rid of Micheal and Georgio who added nothing to this episode at all or any of the 4 episodes before it really. I did not find Micheal too bad or annoying this episode but think overall the show would be better without her.

Were you drunk whilst watching this it was awful.

I was looking at Burnham and sci-fi aside Soneque Martin greens hair must be a wig. How long was there between shooting season 2 and 3 a year maybe.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ok. I think I just have to accept that I'm never going to really like what they're doing with Discovery.

Even when they have storylines that in theory I like, their execution, writing, and direction leave me clinching my jaw.

It'll just never feel like Star Trek for me... it feels more like CW does Star Trek.

I get just enough out of it to keep watching I think, but I don't think I'm ever going to get that awesome, thoughtful sense of being Wow'ed that previous series gave me. Maybe just accepting it as surface level teen-drama fare and giving up any hope and expectation of anything with any depth whatsoever will make episodes more enjoyable.

For this one - good ideas in there. But as usual, overwrought as could be. For a minute, it looked like they might give a different crewman something to do, having Nahn there when they're dealing with someone else of her species. He needs to be convinced to help them, great, she can step up and talk him through loss, as they've both lost their families and are there together, far from their mutual home, and... oh, wait, no, Burnham is the one to talk him down, because no-one else can do anything ever. Just like with Adira last week,

Also, did it have to be a problem that Burnham knew all about? Like, does she have to be the one to explain everything about everything to everyone? Even a thousand years in the future? That they'd been on this planet, with this problem, and these seeds from this thing (which a thousand years later is still floating around apparantly) could cure them, and you future people don't know shit about anything... Could it not have been simplified to a bit of a give and take mutual problem-solving conversation - so instead the Starfleet lads already know the how's and why's, but alas the nearest seed vault is 5 months away. That's when the Disco's could have chimed in that they'd be there and back in a jif, if they were just trusted. Bish Bash Bosh. But alas it's like the writers refuse to let a conversation occur where anyone knows anything other than the Discos. It totally kills the whole 'fish out of water' thing of being in the future...

I just feel like the whole universe is sitting there twiddling its thumbs until Burnham turns up to tell them whats what. And I have a TERRIBLE feeling about this music subplot...

I liked the chairs that just 'float' though, and pretty much all the starfleet 'bubble' design elements..

There all dead they have stolen the music subplot from the bbc life on Mars series

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed that!!

Wow. It's only taken them 34 episodes but finally, it feels like Star Trek. This should have been S03E01, 02 at most.

Were you drunk watching this it was awful. Yes there was a few min at the start were I thought Burnham was going to be dismantled by the new starfleet but after that It just hit the ground like a SCUD missile and burned.

I think that would be one of my favourite Discovery episodes to date. A pretty decent standalone story and a few bits to push the larger plot forward. The Voyager J was a nice touch also, I'm really happy they didn't go with the obvious Enterprise M or something!

However, show me these new ships, don't just tell me how great or weird they are. It's also a pity to lose Nhan, though I would wonder if she reappears later in the season.

After the whole debrief thing all the main characters bar saru should be tossed out the nearest air lock and writers along with them but Georgeou first, that scene was dreadful muck.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Wasn't a huge fan of last weeks but this weeks was thoroughly enjoyable bar maybe one or two scenes with Michael shoe horned in as usual. Saru is a very good captain and I'm liking him more in the role, the s31 guy and scenes with Georgio were very good. Some interesting plots available from here

The Georgia scene with the holograms and the glasse dude was the worst piece of pig dung I’ve seen in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The Georgia scene with the holograms and the glasse dude was the worst piece of pig dung I’ve seen in a while

True but what happened her in the corridor with Burnham.

She has been infected by the AI that’s was on her boots from killing your man or the writers couldn’t string four words together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Does not detract from the point, though.

I've always been worried about their ability to futurist tech that far ahead of TNG era. They should have gone 150 years beyond TNG end time.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I think they did it reasonably well in Voyager with their engagements with the temporal prime directive stuff, but Enterprise was woeful for it (That Enterprise J.....no, just no!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep it friendly please.

Another nod to the viewers when the holo calls Michael emotionally overwrought
    Then the admiral starts telling her to cop on. Great
    Then Michael insists on getting her way and starts the intense whispering and crying again
    And nhan tells her nobody ever reaches for the best like she does. U wot m8

Great ep other than Michael. And georgiou

Ms

Highly unlikely seen as I do not drink.

Yes I did enjoy. Yes it was not perfect and zi agree the blinking part with Georgie and the hologram was stupid but otherwise did not mind the rest of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

She froze after what the Head of the Federation told her about been the last Terrsn and that she is all alone and week because she cares for someone on the ship. That's what I took from it. I am not so sure she would do someone like her would have more than likely tried to kill him after he said that because parts of her brain with empathy and sympathy have shrunk because she never really used them before and the parts for violence would have grown but maybe the last year on Discovery has reversed that in her brain.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Highly unlikely seen as I do not drink.

Yes I did enjoy. Yes it was not perfect and zi agree the blinking part with Georgie and the hologram was stupid but otherwise did not mind the rest of it.

The drunk thing was not a personal comment I apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Enjoyed that episode. Best one of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

opus wrote: »
    Just something I was wondering about, is it mandatory to have a scene with somebody crying in every episode? I think it's 5/5 so far.

Next generation would have been a very different show if Picard cried every week/mission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolutely awful and has completely blown any excitement I had for season 3.

AI that is destroyed by blinks and somehow a 1000 year old woman knew that.
    Burnham again pops up with an obvious answer that everyone else forgot. Why not just have the admiral tell them to get the seed rather than making the head of Starfleet look like a muppet.
    Burnham saves the day with a speech that Nhan gave 5 seconds before but somehow works for Burnham because her new enabler Culver said so. All ended with Burnham being told she is the most amazing human ever by some character we really havnt seen enough of to have that emotional scene. And she is definitely coming back with a Rohan style save the day fleet in the final episode.

Pity cause it started well with some really nice almost Lower Decks style fan moments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think one of the things I find frustrating with this season so far is that the writers aren't interested in what I think are the most interesting aspects of the time jump. I don't need a series arc and a mystery to solve, I'd much prefer a more episodic show with the Discovery crew getting to grips with their new environment and circumstance. I think the fact that they crew are 950 years out of sync with technology is just being dismissed far too casually.

Re Georgiou, the actress is fine but the writing is truly appalling. The sooner she disappears into her own show, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think one of the things I find frustrating with this season so far is that the writers aren't interested in what I think are the most interesting aspects of the time jump. I don't need a series arc and a mystery to solve, I'd much prefer a more episodic show with the Discovery crew getting to grips with their new environment and circumstance. I think the fact that they crew are 950 years out of sync with technology is just being dismissed far too casually.

To be honest I think I'm happy enough if they just, more or less, get on with it. 950 years feels like a silly amount of time but I guess they just wanted to get clear of absolutely everything we've seen before, so that had to account for Danials etc.

But I'd rather not have an entire season of marveling at new technology with wide-eyed wonder. The last few episodes have taken us to Earth (although I didn't care much for that episode), Trill, the new Starfleet HQ, and a seed ship, while also advancing the story a little bit each time. I'm pretty happy with that.

Huge flaws and plot holes and a couple of annoying characters – but I'm interestested in seeing where they go next week! Good ol' Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Did georgiou just claim she was able to blink faster than light in order to interrupt the hologram. Because that's what they are.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Did georgiou just claim she was able to blink faster than light in order to interrupt the hologram. Because that's what they are.

She blinked in a pattern they screwed up their algorithm somehow. A bit of a *massive* security flaw for such an extremely advanced technology.

There’s nothing new there though. You can apparently destroy the Borg, the universe’s most hive mind AI that has apparently existed since before the human Middle Ages, yet all you have to do is show them a shape that is a bit hard for a 1980s computer to calculate and their entire interstellar empire can be brought to an end.

Star Trek is full of nonsense like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

440Hertz wrote: »
    She blinked in a pattern they screwed up their algorithm somehow. A bit of a *massive* security flaw for such an extremely advanced technology.

There’s nothing new there though. You can apparently destroy the Borg, the universe’s most hive mind AI that has apparently existed since before the human Middle Ages, yet all you have to do is show them a shape that is a bit hard for a 1980s computer to calculate and their entire interstellar empire can be brought to an end.

Star Trek is full of nonsense like this.

Whats the Borg shape thing I dont remember that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Whats the Borg shape thing I dont remember that

The visual paradox to be used as a virus in I, Borg.

Advertisement