Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not happy with a bespoke product bought online?

Options
  • 12-11-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I bought a bespoke product from a company based in london. I made several small changes from the base model. They sent me factory photos to make sure I'm okay with it before they ship it but it's not what I wanted. It's too different from the base model and I have told them that I am not happy with it and that I dont want it. What rights do I have in this situation? Bearing in mind that the company is based in london but the factory is in China. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Orlak2410 wrote: »
    I bought a bespoke product from a company based in london. I made several small changes from the base model. They sent me factory photos to make sure I'm okay with it before they ship it but it's not what I wanted. It's too different from the base model and I have told them that I am not happy with it and that I dont want it. What rights do I have in this situation? Bearing in mind that the company is based in london but the factory is in China. Thanks.

What did the London company reply when you said you are not happy and dont want it as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They sent me factory photos to make sure I'm okay with it before they ship it but it's not what I wanted. It's too different from the base model

Two Questions

Does the item match the photos they sent you?
    Does they have anything in the T&C about custom jobs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Orlak2410

Car99 wrote: »
    What did the London company reply when you said you are not happy and dont want it as is?

They said as far as they can tell it's what I ordered. I told them how it's not and I'm waiting for them to reply.

Two Questions

Does the item match the photos they sent you?
    Does they have anything in the T&C about custom jobs ?

I haven't received the item yet. They sent me factory photos and it's too different than what I imagined it should have been. Yes they say "we cannot guarantee automatic qualification for a full refund unless the product is genuinely faulty or not as described/ordered. Each case will be considered individually."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

There are distance selling regulations.

Bar that, unless the goods are faulty or not as described you don't have much comeback.

e.g. you order a sofa. The base model is brown but you asked for it in green. When it was made, you realised they used a lime green when you expected a different shade. Not a whole lot you can do if you didn't specify it at the time you placed the order.

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    There are distance selling regulations.

Bar that, unless the goods are faulty or not as described you don't have much comeback.

e.g. you order a sofa. The base model is brown but you asked for it in green. When it was made, you realised they used a lime green when you expected a different shade. Not a whole lot you can do if you didn't specify it at the time you placed the order.

I appreciate that example but this is a very specific product with specific dimensions and they are not the same as far as I can see in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It probably depends on what the difference is between what you asked for and what you are getting.
    So if you said I want the base model but this part should be Xcm long, then thats what it should be.
    If you said I want the base model but this part a bit longer and now you think it is too long or not long enough then its not really their fault, thought they should have confirmed the length.

So really it depends on the customization that you have requested and how clear your request was.

Regarding distance selling rules, I don't have a reference but I don't think they apply for custom work, it wouldn't make sense for them to apply, you could commission a painting and then decide I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

how can you 'see' the dimensions are wrong in a photo? i mean are there glaring faults, or your not in love with the results?

You could always refuse delivery, but the Ts & Cs are pretty important here as to whether you are liable for some or all of the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Did you see photos and details of the customisations BEFORE they shipped it.

Really that should have made sure you were happy before it was shipped.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    It probably depends on what the difference is between what you asked for and what you are getting.
    So if you said I want the base model but this part should be Xcm long, then thats what it should be.
    If you said I want the base model but this part a bit longer and now you think it is too long or not long enough then its not really their fault, thought they should have confirmed the length.

So really it depends on the customization that you have requested and how clear your request was.

Regarding distance selling rules, I don't have a reference but I don't think they apply for custom work, it wouldn't make sense for them to apply, you could commission a painting and then decide I don't like it.

Various aspects of the product were down to the centimeter and I can tell by the pictures that they are more than the requested dimensions. Other aspects are more general and aren't as exact but any logical person would realise that it's not the same as the request.

• Advertisement

Hi Op

how can you 'see' the dimensions are wrong in a photo? i mean are there glaring faults, or your not in love with the results?

You could always refuse delivery, but the Ts & Cs are pretty important here as to whether you are liable for some or all of the costs.

It's easy to tell from the photos that the dimensions dont match the order. I dont want to end up with nothing so that's why I'm trying to find out my rights.

_Brian wrote: »
    Did you see photos and details of the customisations BEFORE they shipped it.

Really that should have made sure you were happy before it was shipped.

Yes that's the possible advantage I may have. They have sent me factory photos for me to sign off on before they ship it but I have made it very clear to them that I dont want it and have explained that i am willing to come to another arrangement.

Advertisement