Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailer claiming voucher is not valid

Options
  • 12-11-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I have a discount voucher for 15% in a certain store and the terms and conditions say that it's valid on any product, but not on discounted prices.

I was looking to buy something in said store, and I was told that my voucher couldn't be applied because the product was being sold at a lower price than the RRP.

I would have interpreted "discounted" meaning on sale or a special offer i.e. a discount on the previous higher price. Just because a supplier states that this is a recommended price for the product, doesn't mean that a lower price is a discount, at least in my eyes.

Do I have any come back on this, or is it pointless even trying to argue the point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Pointless - Prices are "an invitation to treat" at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well this is a voucher so I figured there were stricter consumer laws attached to it.

The wording does say it's "not eligible with any other offer". That sounds like a catch all to avoid the voucher ever to be used considering that every item for sale is an offer.

Seems like a bit of a trick to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sounds more like this is a coupon than a voucher. You tend to buy a voucher and it has a certain value rather than a %.

Well they call it a voucher on the piece of paper. Does it being either a voucher or a coupon have a bearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

If they applied the RRP and applied the voucher would it be cheaper than the price they have it reduced to? I dont think the retailer is trying to screw you, seems youre just the victim of misfortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Fairly standard marketing gimmick - sort of like the "20% off to all NHS staff" from a company in the UK.

Small print - "applies to full priced items only"

And then most things are reduced, so it applies to feck all.

Worth the paper its printed on in most cases

No, it wouldn't be cheaper with the voucher applied to the RRP.

Essentially I'm looking at purchasing a TV, but as I'm sure you know if you go into any electronics store they never charge the RRP for them. Practically all TV's are advertised at a lower price than the RRP. Just seems a bit disingenuous to consider this a discount when they never intend to sell at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

VonLuck wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't be cheaper with the voucher applied to the RRP.

Essentially I'm looking at purchasing a TV, but as I'm sure you know if you go into any electronics store they never charge the RRP for them. Practically all TV's are advertised at a lower price than the RRP. Just seems a bit disingenuous to consider this a discount when they never intend to sell at that price.

The margins on items like a TV are such that they could never apply a coupon price to it anyway,, you may get to use it on any additional items (HDMI cables), or look online, though I've found there is a "standard" price across many items these days, with it differing by maybe €50 across stores online or not (and Currys who seem to go their own way).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

astrofool wrote: »
    The margins on items like a TV are such that they could never apply a coupon price to it anyway,, you may get to use it on any additional items (HDMI cables), or look online, though I've found there is a "standard" price across many items these days, with it differing by maybe €50 across stores online or not (and Currys who seem to go their own way).

These are where shops really rip off the customer. Selling you a €20+ HDMI cable saying that it can send 1 or 0 better than a €1.50 cable. As you said the margins on big ticket items are tiny so they push the accessories which are way over priced.

I decided to shop elsewhere for the same price because of the slightly deceiving voucher.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement