Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread - 8pm 12/11/20 - RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Roy Keane
    Liam Brady
    Steve Highway
    Johnny Giles
    Frank Stapleton
    Ray Houghton
    Paul McGrath
    Dave O'Leary
    Don Givens
    John Aldridge
    Denis Irwin
    Ronnie Whelan

No point in fielding a team at this level if we don't have a SINGLE PLAYER to polish any of their boots.
    Sad.

Yes, let's just retire our entire senior international set up. Brilliant suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jesus, O'shea lucky there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fromvert wrote: »
    Our squad is in a sad state and has been for a long time. England could field a team of full backs and hammer us

Trippier - Walker - Wan-Bissaka - Targett

Maitland Niles - TAA - James - Chilwell

Lamptey - Saka 
    What was score in that one? Motm? Who reffed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭useless

Hamilton has caught the virus off Cunningham. Has just invented a new England player called Jade Bellingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

event wrote: »
    Definitely.
    They can hire Sam Allaydyce or Tony Pulis and get us back to the style of football that we have played for the last 12 years. We got to amazing highs like getting to 2 euros, playing 7 games and losing 5 of them. Scoring 4 goals and conceding 15. Players like Conor Sammon and Paul Green getting a game. Getting beat 4-1 by Wales, 5-1 by Denmark and Portugal.

We have such a great and vivid history that losing games is so alien to us, we need to sack him before he ruins our amazing world reputation and chances of qualifying for the next world Cup. Cos we we always certs to get to that

Why is it assumed Kenny is going to do better than the above, as opposed to doing much worse?

Where are the amazing highs in over 500 minutes of football with no goals in open play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Why is it assumed Kenny is going to do better than the above, as opposed to doing much worse?

Where are the amazing highs in over 500 minutes of football with no goals in open play?

'Dundalk..something, something, Europa League'

Beating the mighty Jeunesse Esch who are currently 7th in the Luxembourg premier division.

Did Mick Mccarthy ever beat those world killers...I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

7th game on the trot without a win.

Roy Keane
    Liam Brady
    Steve Highway
    Johnny Giles
    Frank Stapleton
    Ray Houghton
    Paul McGrath
    Dave O'Leary
    Don Givens
    John Aldridge
    Denis Irwin
    Ronnie Whelan

No point in fielding a team at this level if we don't have a SINGLE PLAYER to polish any of their boots.
    Sad.

Don Givens?

That was random! I'd have gone for Duff, Robbie Keane, Staunton and about 25 more before I'd think about Givens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cunningham is trying to polish a turd

"not often you see Harry Maguire playing successful Hollywood crosses"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

9th game on the trot without a win.

A goal is progress at this stage never mind a win as we are f*cking desperate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The future is bright according to Kenny C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's been pure ****e under Kenny. Let's just call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well he managed to get Dundalk to play his style in the Europa League

They still got hockeyed in every game though but maybe he is trying the same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I would just like us to score at this point. Even a shot on target would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Taking a knee isn't about adopting and apologising...

What's it about so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

We are winning this one on back passes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

NI Slovakia going to extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I can see Neil Warnock being unveiled in about 12 months as the new manager and saviour of the Irish team.........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

glenjamin wrote: »
    Yet he and Hendrick are undroppable, while Cullen, Knight and Byrne can't seem to get a look in.

Hendrick shows flashes but hasn't delivered a consistent performance over 90 minutes, pretty much ever in an Ireland shirt. Hourihane appears to be wasting his talent with laziness. Doesn't get involved in the game nearly enough. I don't watch Villa, is he like this for them?

They've both been shocking tonight. Neither showing for the ball leaving the likes of Duffy & Christie trying to playmake from the back, which works about as well as you could predict. The few times they have picked it up deep they haven't been on the half turn or looking for space properly and just have to go back to the defenders.

He has to try someone else. Molumby did more than the two incumbents put together the couple of times he played without being the reincarnation of Ronnie Whelan or anything mad like that. What are the likes of Cullen or Knight going to do? Not play well? That's what Hourihane and Hendrick are doing at the moment, might as well try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Witcher wrote: »
    'Dundalk..something, something, Europa League'

And if we're being hyper critical of the performances of limited teams in tournaments...

Dundalk's Europa League record under Kenny: 4 losses, 1 draw, 1 win. Bottom of the group and eliminated. Goal difference of -3.

This is what we're basing the future of the national team on.

I would just like us to score at this point. Even a shot on target would be nice

Curtis provides it. Him and Molumby look hungry at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

They still got hockeyed in every game though but maybe he is trying the same here

They didnt get "hockeyed" in the Europa league with him as manager.
    This though is a hockeying!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People have short memories.

All of these ‘big moments’ recently people seem to forget that we rode our luck immensely.

No surprise we look much better since Molumby’s come on again. He needs to play ahead of Hourihane.

Kenny is in over his head.

His lack of decent quality management experience is catching up with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

Not a great spectacle from an Irish perspective. I've no idea what's going on with Duffy but he's been utter muck at Celtic and showing it here. Did he somehow manage to bluff his way through his entire time in England? Absolutely baffling.

The English lads are loving this and as someone else said they could field a third or fourth team and still beat us. Dire times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’d assume nothing from anyone with regards Ireland tbh, though I do like a bit of a change in style at least. It’s made me more actively interested in watching, instead of grudging acceptance that I’d watch. Well, today aside. Nothing good was ever coming from this fixture.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Hendrick shows flashes but hasn't delivered a consistent performance over 90 minutes, pretty much ever in an Ireland shirt.

Sometimes I think Hendrick has the Ireland managers nudes !! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Eh, no they didn't. They got four points, were the first Irish team to win a group match and never lost by more than one goal against much larger and much more European experienced clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yeah hockeyed in every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Don Givens?

That was random! I'd have gone for Duff, Robbie Keane, Staunton and about 25 more before I'd think about Givens!

Givens was an exceptional player for Ireland and QPR. QPR were a pretty decent team in the mid 70's and Givens was the driving force. They were pipped to the title by one point in 1975.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Hendrick shows flashes but hasn't delivered a consistent performance over 90 minutes, pretty much ever in an Ireland shirt. Hourihane appears to be wasting his talent with laziness. Doesn't get involved in the game nearly enough. I don't watch Villa, is he like this for them?

They've both been shocking tonight. Neither showing for the ball leaving the likes of Duffy & Christie trying to playmake from the back, which works about as well as you could predict. The few times they have picked it up deep they haven't been on the half turn or looking for space properly and just have to go back to the defenders.

He has to try someone else. Molumby did more than the two incumbents put together the couple of times he played without being the reincarnation of Ronnie Whelan or anything mad like that. What are the likes of Cullen or Knight going to do? Not play well? That's what Hourihane and Hendrick are doing at the moment, might as well try.

This is very harsh on Hendrick. Hourihane was so lazy that Hendrick was the only one actually looking for the ball.

He’s controlled it incredibly well and he’s easily the best at that in this Irish team. People expect him to be this wizard but he’s not. Again, he looks better again since Molumby’s come on.

Hendrick is one of very few players who can come out of this game with any credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sometimes I think Hendrick has the Ireland managers nudes !! :pac:

I don’t mind him at 6 to be honest. Hate seeing him at 10 though.

Dire performance, embarrassing result, empty stadium, a global pandemic and Kenny Cunningham. The only bright spot is that the RTÉ Player has held up well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

kksaints wrote: »
    Eh, no they didn't. They got four points, were the first Irish team to win a group match and never lost by more than one goal against much larger and much more European experienced clubs.

I included the table in an attached file below, but people will just ignore the facts on Kenny's performance in Europe with Dundalk...

• Advertisement

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I can see Neil Warnock being unveiled in about 12 months as the new manager and saviour of the Irish team.........:D

Current championship manager of the month nominee Neil Warnock? We’d be lucky.

sugarman wrote: »

I'd think expectations of our team, even with a full strength squad available need to be exponentially lowered.

They are lowered. We would like to just see us score at least. A few shots on target maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

This scoreline is exactly what you'd expect considering the gulf in class between squads. We're a mid level championship team against a top 4 Premiership team. Kenny deserves some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Matt Doherty is Kenny's man of the match!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What match is Cunningham describing? Because what he's talking about bears zero resemblance to what I'm seeing with my own eyes

• Advertisement

Harry Maguire could have had a hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Does Kenny Cunningham have to give man of the match to an Irish player?

What's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Lol motm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

And if we're being hyper critical of the performances of limited teams in tournaments...

Dundalk's Europa League record under Kenny: 4 losses, 1 draw, 1 win. Bottom of the group and eliminated. Goal difference of -3.

This is what we're basing the future of the national team on.

Beating then Champions League regulars BATE Borisov to get there doesn't count as part of his Europa League record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Does Kenny understand man of the match?

I’d have no problem playing Kevin Long and Dara O’Shea at CB against Wales to be honest. Long hasn’t been bad since coming into the side and O’Shea has taken both chances he’s been handed.

Kenny picking Doherty as MOTM? Dunno about that now.

Peter File wrote: »
    Matt Doherty is Kenny's man of the match!!

He’s been a defensive rock apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Dire performance, embarrassing result, empty stadium, a global pandemic and Kenny Cunningham. The only bright spot is that the RTÉ Player has held up well

Shocked that I've had no issues whatsoever tonight with the RTE player. It's definitely the first time I can say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

magma69 wrote: »
    This scoreline is exactly what you'd expect considering the gulf in class between squads. We're a mid level championship team against a top 4 Premiership team. Kenny deserves some time.

He's getting time. He'll have gotten his time after the next two games are over. His honeymoon good will is all used up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

6 wrote: »
    Kenny is in over his head.

His lack of decent quality management experience is catching up with him.

He's hardly releasing medical devices to market....

Geddit??

I'll see myself out....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement