Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread - 8pm 12/11/20 - RTE

Comments

Kenny Cunningham must be trolling !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Beating then Champions League regulars BATE Borisov to get there doesn't count as part of his Europa League record?

No, same as euro qualifying games don’t count as part of the Euros proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Shocked that I've had no issues whatsoever tonight with the RTE player. It's definitely the first time I can say that.

Maybe no one’s watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

You'd think Ireland were winning this game 3-0 the way Kenny Cunningham is describing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Does Kenny Cunningham have to give man of the match to an Irish player?

What's the point?

Pretty sure he has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Green shoots says George Hamilton. He's being saying that for 10 years.

Kenny Cunningham doing the bantz is unnerving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

At the end of the day, this result means fúck all in the grand scheme of things.

Next 2 games for Ireland will be crucial for Kenny's reign and vote of confidence from fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is very harsh on Hendrick. Hourihane was so lazy that Hendrick was the only one actually looking for the ball.

He’s controlled it incredibly well and he’s easily the best at that in this Irish team. People expect him to be this wizard but he’s not. Again, he looks better again since Molumby’s come on.

Hendrick is one of very few players who can come out of this game with any credit.

What's he controlled?

I saw him about 6 times all game until I stopped watching about the 70 minute mark. Admittedly that is 6 times more than Hourihane, and I don't think Browne trying to play a no. 10 role instead of dropping in with him helps him either, but it's still not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

At the end of the day, this result means fúck all in the grand scheme of things.

Next 2 games for Ireland will be crucial for Kenny's reign and vote of confidence from fans.

Exactly this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

A team of plodders against one of the best teams in the world and somehow people think this is embarrassing. Not quite sure what people were expecting from this game to be honest - this scoreline and performance is about right in my opinion.

They should thank England for taking it easy in the second half!
    Way too easy for them, we nowhere near as good but at least make it hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's getting time. He'll have gotten his time after the next two games are over. His honeymoon good will is all used up.

Who/when are the next 2 games again?

I want him to succeed but nothing has improved. Every game I think he will tweak things for the next game but the same thing happens.

I'd give him more time but just a few games more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's getting time. He'll have gotten his time after the next two games are over. His honeymoon good will is all used up.

You're calling for his head now, so obviously not.

sonic85 wrote: »
    A team of plodders against one of the best teams in the world and somehow people think this is embarrassing. Not quite sure what people were expecting from this game to be honest - this scoreline and performance is about right in my opinion.

One of the best teams in the world?? They were missing about 7 first team players and none of their players will need a shower after that. Laughable.

• Advertisement

They should thank England for taking it easy in the second half!
    Way too easy for them, we nowhere near as good but at least make it hard.

Yeah it could have been six or seven if they were bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

I’d rather see Stephen Kenny as manager for life than listen to Cunningham as a commentator for even 1 more Ireland match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Well, that was disappointing. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I want him to succeed but nothing has improved. Every game I think he will tweak things for the next game but the same thing happens.

Last two Euro Nations League games. Bulgaria at home and Wales away.

After that it's the World Cup Qualifiers in the new year.

If we suffer another two defeats and are relegated I would probably call it tbh.

Sunday and Tuesday, Wales and Bulgaria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Sunday against Wales, and next Wednesday against Bulgaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Why is it assumed Kenny is going to do better than the above, as opposed to doing much worse?

Where are the amazing highs in over 500 minutes of football with no goals in open play?

I'm not assuming he will at all

I dont think sacking him after a handful of matches is the answer though. Give him a campaign, see if it works. What's the worst that can happen, we don't qualify? Well we are used to that. Its not like this is some golden generation of players and he is wrecking them

Maybe we'll lose every single game under him. Maybe he'll be proven to be a fraud who hasn't a clue. But I'd like to find out.

Cos if we do sack him, this type of appointment won't happen again. For the next 20 years we will drift between managers in their 60s, looking for a final payday who dont really know many of our players, will have no interest in bringing youth through and just want to pick up their wages. We'll get to the odd tournament and yeah we'll get hammered but who cares sure, we'll have some craic. Half days in work, pubs packed at 10am on a Tuesday for a game, be deadly. Ole ole.

That's all that matters isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Witcher wrote: »
    'Oh well Kenny did X and Y with Dundalk'

Well now we're after getting raped by England so he's done well.

MickMcCarthyIrelandNov18.jpg

Ah yes, the great Mick McCarthy who beat the likes of the mighty Gibraltar 1 nil and only got about 2 million in salary to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Things are looking bleak in the future. The players just aren't there IMO. I think Kenny deserves his chance but he is caught in between squads.

Could end up being 3rd seeds for the WC qualifiers now too.

One of the best teams in the world?? They were missing about 7 first team players and none of their players will need a shower after that. Laughable.

It was like their u23s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sunday and Tuesday, Wales and Bulgaria.

Bulgaria match is Wednesday I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nice win for England, pointless friendly though, neither team will take anything from the game, wasn't a contest and a waste of time other than fulfilling the obligation to ITV.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

edgecutter wrote: »
    Ah yes, the great Mick McCarthy who beat the likes of the mighty Gibraltar 1 nil and only got about 2 million in salary to do it.

At least the team actually scored a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What difference does missing players make? England have enough class players to fill three squads. We could only dream of having a Sancho or a Foden or even Bellingham. You're talking out of your hole

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

rubbish players rubbish manager -were screwed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Keeping it to 3-0 was a positive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It was like their u23s

Everyone that started tonight for them is a starter in the EPL & Bundesliga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

magma69 wrote: »
    You're calling for his head now, so obviously not.

I'm not calling for his head. But it's been crap and he's been crap and the odd passage of passing here and there doesn't excuse the fact we've been soft as ****e for the most part.

Bulgaria at home and Wales away. Let's see a couple of results to give a bit of hope of being competitive in the qualifiers next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dreadful. That was one of the hardest Ireland games to watch in recent memory despite being a friendly. It felt like we learnt absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If even Kenny defenders can see we have a limited pool of players, does it make sense for us to be trying to outplay sides that almost always will have better technical quality than ourselves? There aren't many countries we're going to get the better of with Hendrick and Hourihane playing.

What's that now, 570 minutes of football with no goal in open play? 0 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses. And where are the positives? What's his best team based on what we've seen so far? Where will the goals come from? Desperate stuff.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

RonanG86 wrote: »
    What's he controlled?

I saw him about 6 times all game until I stopped watching about the 70 minute mark. Admittedly that is 6 times more than Hourihane, and I don't think Browne trying to play a no. 10 role instead of dropping in with him helps him either, but it's still not enough.

Well I wholeheartedly disagree. For the entire first half and the third quarter he was the only one looking to get the ball from the defence, and when he did he was surrounded by blue shirts and nobody giving him an option to try opening up the game.

Compare that to when Brady, Molumby came on who then gave him that outlet and, surprise surprise, we were able to start creating chances.

Notice how far deep he is sitting when Hourihane is on, and when Molumby comes on he is given licence to move further forward because he knows Molumby will work, whereas Hourihane is completely lazy.

I honestly would have him among our top three performers tonight. It’s not saying a lot but Jeff Hendrick is not the problem here.

At least the team actually scored a goal.

The last campaign we had with Mick we struggled to score goals. The whole not scoring goal issues isn't just a Kenny thing. The players are just not good enough and Kenny deserves some time to bring in the youth players to rectify the situation. You could have Jurgen Klopp in charge and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

omega man wrote: »
    I’d rather see Stephen Kenny as manager for life than listen to Cunningham as a commentator for even 1 more Ireland match.

i wouldnt kennys a nervous wreck and a rubbish manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

On the brightside - statistically, we won on goals conceded.

I like what Kenny is doing but he made selection mistakes today. Playing Hourihan, Browne and Hendrick at the same time is like playing three Michael Carricks. They all do the same job. Hendrick played the best of them tonight despite mistakes. We still need that playmaker role - perhaps Molumby or Byrne is the short term answer.

We also seem to want to play from the back every time. To me that is the same as hoofing the ball up every time. Any team that analyses this match (as no doubt England did) will just pressure us on kick outs/restarts. At least mix it up.

• Advertisement

It was like their u23s

Even a 17yo got a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Id say SK will need to bring some players in from U21s...and they cant afford to lose any players with their games coming up.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Exactly, goes to show the gulf between the teams and how grim the future looks for Irish football.
    Kenny is a good manager but the pool of players is brutal, do any of our keepers even play first team football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

5 games in a row without a goal is our worst run since Opta records began for us (not sure if another data provider have some matches pre-1990).

Either way - Worst goalless run in 30 years.

If even Kenny defenders can see we have a limited pool of players, does it make sense for us to be trying to outplay sides that almost always will have better technical quality than ourselves? There aren't many countries we're going to get the better of with Hendrick and Hourihane playing.

What's that now, 570 minutes of football with no goal in open play? 0 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses. And where are the positives? What's his best team based on what we've seen so far? Where will the goals come from? Desperate stuff.

It took Michael O'Neill several games to get a win with Northern Ireland, but look where they ended up. The last few games I have seen progress, and Kenny needs time to get a settled team and blood the youth.

People need to realise that we don't have one player playing for an elite club, the pool of players is weak and tonight's result shouldn't have come as a surprise. Mason Greenwood didn't even get picked for England and he would be a superstar for us. Have some realistic expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He seems angry and embarrassed about being named Man of the Match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

edgecutter wrote: »
    It took Michael O'Neill several games to get a win with Northern Ireland, but look where they ended up. The last few games I have seen progress and Kenny needs time to get a settled team and blood the youth.

People need to realise that we don't have one player playing for an elite club, the pool of players is weak and tonight's result shouldn't have come as a surprise. Mason Greenwood didn't even get picked for England and he would be a superstar for us. Have some realistic expectations.

I think we've all seen the progress from being beaten 1-0 to 3-0.

'Oh well Kenny did X and Y with Dundalk'

Well now we're after getting raped by England so he's done well.

MickMcCarthyIrelandNov18.jpg

Like or dislike Kenny, the rape metaphor is very ugly...

You have a point about how we play against the best sides in the world, but you need to realise that Kenny's tenure has been mess due to covid restrictions and players having to pull out.

I think we've all seen the progress from being beaten 1-0 to 3-0.

Did you seriously think we not get beaten tonight?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement