Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log splitter from a 50cc quad engine??.

• 12-11-2020 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just wondering is this possible as I've my son's quad here lying up years now and of course he's to big for it now and it's lying idol.

Wonder could I make a log splitter out of it using a cone head type splitter ?.

Any ideas or would it be to small a engine?.it does about 20- 25 mph.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Personally I think its too small. If you are going to the trouble of making a splitter then one that has enough power is better than one that won't do what you require.
    Most splitters I have seen run a Honda GX Engine of around 200cc, I know the bike will do 20 mph but at what revs?
    Torque is what's required and unless you gear it down which gets complex and expensive a 50cc won't do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Personally I think its too small. If you are going to the trouble of making a splitter then one that has enough power is better than one that won't do what you require.
    Most splitters I have seen run a Honda GX Engine of around 200cc, I know the bike will do 20 mph but at what revs?
    Torque is what's required and unless you gear it down which gets complex and expensive a 50cc won't do the job.

howcome ones on youtube run 4 to 5hp mower engines on theres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

GX 200 is about 4-5 HP, how much power do you think a 50cc engine makes?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    GX 200 is about 4-5 HP, how much power do you think a 50cc engine makes?

about 2.5HP

im not going splitting mas amounts of logs.

bassy wrote: »
    about 2.5HP

im not going splitting mas amounts of logs.

If its 2 stroke,it will simply rev too fast and push apart the hyd pump

But like anything engineering,anything is possible,if you have enough money to throw at it!

But you will buy a engine/hyd pack for circa e1100 plus vat

• Advertisement

But like anything engineering,anything is possible,if you have enough money to throw at it!

wouldnt spend that kind of money on a splitter cause i would not be getting the full value from the splitter so could not justify it.

might just go with a single phase motor and one of those cone type heads.

yes its 2 stroke,just thinking i could put one of those cone heads on to where the sprocket pins and away you go.

something like this would be fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODsckh-jdY&t=333s

Not being smart lad,that looks insanly dangerous :eek: and i wouldnt recommend anyone use one

Not being smart lad,that looks insanly dangerous :eek: and i wouldnt recommend anyone use one

be grand as long as the cone head was bolted through the shaft,as in a hole in the shaft and a bolt going through cone head and down through shaft.

• Advertisement

be grand as long as the cone head was bolted through the shaft,as in a hole in the shaft and a bolt going through cone head and down through shaft.

Something spinning like that at high speed like a 2-stroke engine will be

Is an accident waiting to happen,any sting/necklace etc hanging down will eventually get caught and pull you in.....imo your hands shouldnt be next,nor near it either

Its a good idea,and i love seeing lads to take on projects etc at home and not just buy sh1te,but jesus,seriously.dont do this,nor leave your kids near it

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭divillybit

I'm no electrican but I'd say the motor in the clip above is wired arseways and the rotation is wrong for the cone head thread. I don't see the point in splitting logs so small anyway. I was considering buying a log Splitter, one for a tractor three point linkage.. In the end I bought a fiskars splitting maul online for 70 euro or thereabouts.. It'll split over 99% of the logs or rings perfectly fine. The remaining 1% I put on my log horse and cut in two with the chainsaw. The way I see it is if you are smart about how you cut your timber with your chainsaw in the first place then there is little need for a log Splitter.

divillybit wrote: »
    I'm no electrican but I'd say the motor in the clip above is wired arseways and the rotation is wrong for the cone head thread. I don't see the point in splitting logs so small anyway. I was considering buying a log Splitter, one for a tractor three point linkage.. In the end I bought a fiskars splitting maul online for 70 euro or thereabouts.. It'll split over 99% of the logs or rings perfectly fine. The remaining 1% I put on my log horse and cut in two with the chainsaw. The way I see it is if you are smart about how you cut your timber with your chainsaw in the first place then there is little need for a log Splitter.

any pictures ?.

pto is out of the question for me as i do not have a tractor,just looking for something simple and handy as i would not be splitting a big shed load.

https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/pt/-fiskars-x27-large-splitting-maul.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-rj9BRCAARIsANB_4AB-NMtqhckCoN8Z01ueYQe0fTKBBFqlni-zgMI2M3D61ioBTgixsIMaAk5nEALw_wcB

That's the link for the splitting maul, it has split old lumps that my old axe was just bouncing off. It's splitting head is more wedge shaped than an axe and is fairly effective.

https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/pt/-fiskars-x27-large-splitting-maul.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-rj9BRCAARIsANB_4AB-NMtqhckCoN8Z01ueYQe0fTKBBFqlni-zgMI2M3D61ioBTgixsIMaAk5nEALw_wcB

That's the link for the splitting maul, it has split old lumps that my old axe was just bouncing off. It's splitting head is more wedge shaped than an axe and is fairly effective.

you could make a head like that...................................

I'm sure you could, and I suppose I could too but it might take me a good while and I put a value on my time. 70 quid is alot for a splitting maul, but it'll work out very cheap yet as it'll last a long long time. Fiskars apparently will send out a new one if the handle breaks. The handle on these axes are hollow to reduce vibrations, they aren't a pry bar though and handle breakage from prying logs open is not covered under warranty.

I'm sure you could, and I suppose I could too but it might take me a good while and I put a value on my time. 70 quid is alot for a splitting maul, but it'll work out very cheap yet as it'll last a long long time. Fiskars apparently will send out a new one if the handle breaks. The handle on these axes are hollow to reduce vibrations, they aren't a pry bar though and handle breakage from prying logs open is not covered under warranty.

hey man your on a different wavelegth lol,im on about making a log splitting machine and your on about a 80 euro axe for manual i left a long time ago...................................................................................

Ah OK, sorry. I think electric vertical ram type splitters are good value from ones I've seen on done deal if yer splitting stuff at your shed where you have power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭blackbox

Lidl and Aldi have splitting mauls from time to time for twenty something euro. Grand job. Way better than an axe for splitting. Doesn't get stuck the way an axe does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm looking for a log splitter, and saw this one on Screwfix.ie:

TITAN TTB762LSP CORDED BRUSHLESS 37CM LOG SPLITTER 1.5KW (649GF)

I wont be splitting big rounds of wood, maybe 12 ", has anyone had any experience with this one?

Thanks, Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement