Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to upgrade next?

Options
  • 12-11-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I built this back at the beginning of lockdown as a PC that could handle my working my home but was also an entry-level gaming PC. I didn't want to spend too much in case I didn't get bitten by the bug. I've been bitten. I don't really have a budget but don't want to go to go too high-end where the prices are extortionate.

Looking to upgrade this between now and Christmas. Will be upgrading to a decent 144hz 1440p monitor shortly too. I mostly play FPS but want to be able to play the AAA releases in good quality too.

I'm thinking:

* Upgrade the Ryzen to the 5600X (this will require a BIOS update on the mobo)
    * Install a 1TB NVME drive
    * Upgrade the graphics card (any suggestions here?)
    * Possibly might need to replace the PSU too

QywTSBP.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bios updates for the new Zen 3 CPUs aren't due out until January so just keep that in mind (although there's some beta bios popping up at the moment for certain boards/manufacturers).

As far as graphics cards go, for 144hz 1440p, you're more than likely looking at the AMD 6800XT or the Nvidia 3080, but would wait for benchmarks on the regular 6800 and see what the fps are like on AAA games. Also check the benchmarks for the 3070 and see if they're close to what you're looking for. Would need a new PSU for all of the above.

Advertisement