Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbors Cat and our car

• 13-11-2020 5:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Recently at night it’s becoming a regular issue that the neighbors cat, a reasonably new acquisition of about 2 years has taken a shine to our car.

It’s a mixture of an indoors and outdoors cat that strays or ventures outdoors at night.. tonight I thought somebody was out at the car at about 3.15 am there was a regular and prominent tapping / banging on metal sound that wasn’t stopping so I went and looked out the window... the cat was just bouncing up and down all over the car... bonnet to roof and onto the ground and back and repeated over and over ad nauseam....

The car is 16 months old, a good car, looked after inside and out but recently on the bonnet and low down on the door there was a couple of noticeable longish little dings and scratches that left me scratching my head as to where and how they got there as the car is driven and looked after with care.

In the dead of night the prominence of the tapping and scratching would lead me to believe or guess that the cat needs its claws clipped but ideally I don’t want it anywhere near my car...

The folks who live there and own the cat would be quite hippyish in every facet of their existence, we get on very well & positively all be it just in passing mostly. They have dogs too and very animal orientated so a ‘get your fûcking mog away from my metal’ approach might not be advised but I’m in no mood to watch and listen to my nice car getting scratched up by Tiny Tiddles.. how does one go about looking for resolution In this situation ? I’m happy and wanting initially ideas or solutions to put to them...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Can I just say
    It’s a mixture of an indoors and outdoors cat that strays or ventures outdoors at night.. tonight I thought somebody was out at the car at about 3.15 am there was a regular and prominent tapping / banging on metal sound that wasn’t stopping so I went and looked out the window... the cat was just bouncing up and down all over the car... bonnet to roof and onto the ground and back and repeated over and over ad nauseam
    This is a hilarious paragraph.

tumblr_mmsvus5N1U1sp0gj9o1_500.gif
    You should have taken the red pill.

As poster below says, definitely try and get a video of it happening and make sure you upload it here too.

Take pictures of the damage and explain to your neighbours what you expect from them (ie cat nails trimmed, kept in by night if necessary).

You could also leave the car unlocked if it has a sensor because that would trigger the alarm and hopefully give the cat enough of a fright to put him off having the nightly jamboree.

I'm sorry I'm still in bits imagining a cat bouncing up and down a car, I've my own cat here and he's a very good boy relatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Get footage of the cat on the car

Tell them they will need to stop the behaviour or else they will have to pay for the damage. Be very firm about that.

If it is not resolved to your liking the next step on my list would definitely get me a card or banned from the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Slideways wrote: »
    Get footage of the cat on the car

Tell them they will need to stop the behaviour or else they will have to pay for the damage. Be very firm about that.

If it is not resolved to your liking the next step on my list would definitely get me a card or banned from the forum

Thanks, yes the camera footage is indeed a good idea, hadn't thought of that thanks... I can WhatsApp them the evidence rather then a mid pandemic doorsteping....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

s1ippy wrote: »
    Can I just say

As poster below says, definitely try and get a video of it happening and make sure you upload it here too.

Take pictures of the damage and explain to your neighbours what you expect from them (ie cat nails trimmed, kept in by night if necessary).

You could also leave the car unlocked if it has a sensor because that would trigger the alarm and hopefully give the cat enough of a fright to put him off having the nightly jamboree.

I'm sorry I'm still in bits imagining a cat bouncing up and down a car, I've my own cat here and he's a very good boy relatively speaking.

Thanks,

No, I won’t be uploading anything here.

I won’t be leaving a 40,000 euro asset lying around unlocked if it’s all the same.

Unless you are a pharmacist or doctor I’d urge you to resist trying to prescribe medication to others and instead focus on your own needs and wellbeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Car covers are readily available and not expensive. It would deaden the sound too.

Far better than alienating your neighbours?

Just a thought ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Graces7 wrote: »
    Car covers are readily available and not expensive. It would deaden the sound too.

Just a thought ;)

Are you actually suggesting he cover up his car every time he parks it? Door locks are also readily available, and also not very expensive. Cat owner should be keeping cat inside if they don't want to pay for the damage.

Just a thought ;)

Why should the OP have to go to the financial outlay of a car cover, the hassle of putting it on every night and the risk that it can blow away etc for someone else’s cat?

Preposterous suggest IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

s1ippy wrote: »
    Can I just say

tumblr_mmsvus5N1U1sp0gj9o1_500.gif

:confused:
    This emoji perfectly sums up my reaction to reading this reply

If possible it is definitely worth recording the cat if you get the chance, and may be worth getting a quote to repair the scratches currently there. That might soften their cough.

I get how frustrating this is,there's a cat at work that does the same thing to my car, little bastard has my car destroyed and I don't even have a nice car.

Why should the OP have to go to the financial outlay of a car cover, the hassle of putting it on every night and the risk that it can blow away etc for someone else’s cat?

Preposterous suggest IMO

Oh dear! :eek:

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you actually suggesting he cover up his car every time he parks it? Door locks are also readily available, and also not very expensive. Cat owner should be keeping cat inside if they don't want to pay for the damage.

His car; his problem. It would stop birds defecating on it too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Oh dear! :eek:

If asking my neighbour to stop their cat using my car as a trampoline alienates them, then they aren't really people i want to be friendly with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

He should be able to park his car without the neighbours problem cat scratching it. I just paid to have scratches repaired on my car this week & if was a neighbours cat that caused it, they would be paying the bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bird dirt can be washed off. Damage from a animal is the animal owners responsibility. Putting a cover on the car is not the solution to the OP's problem.

OP if the car is damaged already you are entitled for it to be repaired at the cats owner expense at a garage of your choice. If the car is on PCP or leased then the cars owner will be penalised for the damage at the end of the term, it will be worth less if selling or trading in, and that shouldn't come from the owners pocket when the damage was caused by someone else's property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's possible that your neighbour's cat scratched it, but it could have been done by a bird or other wild animal or by debris blowing on the wind.

It's annoying - I get that, but if your car is that valuable, special and perfect, why do you leave it out in the open?

I wouldn't sacrifice my relationship with my neighbours for something I was going to replace in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would be giving the cat a light spray of water each time i catch him. No harm done to the cat and he will get the message soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've successfully kept cats out of my garden for over a year now with these ultrasonic scarers . I got a very satisfying video the first night of the cat fleeing the garden and no issues with cat poo or spraying since.

blackbox wrote: »
    It's possible that your neighbour's cat scratched it, but it could have been done by a bird or other wild animal or by debris blowing on the wind.

It's annoying - I get that, but if your car is that valuable, special and perfect, why do you leave it out in the open?

I wouldn't sacrifice my relationship with my neighbours for something I was going to replace in a few years.

Thank you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Is this a joke.
    If I come around your house and start hitting it with a lump hammer can I just say your house your problem

The neighbours cat is causing the issue so it is their problem

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you actually suggesting he cover up his car every time he parks it? "

Yes. His car, left outside. His responsibility.

Just out of interest. can you ask on the Legal Discussion Board about cats and damage? Proof and owners liability.

You need to look at that for yourself. Not take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Have you tried talking to them about it?

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Is this a joke.
    If I come around your house and start hitting it with a lump hammer can I just say your house your problem

The neighbours cat is causing the issue so it is their problem

The CAT has a lump hammer? OH MY ! Now THAT is SERIOUS!

The car owner is leaving his car unprotected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Well within you rights to use a water pistol. Won't harm the cat at all but will stop him after a couple of wettings.

For me it would be worse for the cat if it had to be kept inside all the time.

The CAT has a lump hammer? OH MY ! Now THAT is SERIOUS!

The car owner is leaving his car unprotected.

He is entitled to leave his car outside his own home without it being damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Use 4 clothes pegs to attach a length of net curtain over the top of the car, clipping to the front and back bumpers.

See what she makes of that!

It might be the echoing sound that she likes as she does her trampoline practice, and muffling with a cover will both dampen the sound and protect the surface, - and hopefully discourage the cat.

Let us know how this works - a photo would be great! (A video, better still :) )

Knine wrote: »

Where is the law that says that please?

Seriously I think this is what they call a "first world prpblem" .

If you leave a car outside uncovered? Cats have more protection in law than dogs. Read up on it?

Suggesting you ask on the Legal Discussion forum as I think many would be interested.

Bowing out as …..

Lump hammers indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh behave

If you leave a car outside uncovered? Cats have more protection in law than dogs. Read up on it?

Suggesting you ask on the Legal Discussion forum as I think many would be interested.

Bowing out as …..

It is against the law to damage someone else's property! You very clearly don't drive or have a car! Cars cost a lot of money to buy & maintain!
    I'm glad you are not my neighbour!

Bowing out as …..

You have to be having a laugh or else are not in touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Strumms wrote: »

In the dead of night the prominence of the tapping and scratching would lead me to believe or guess that the cat needs its claws clipped but ideally I don’t want it anywhere near my car...

Never heard of clipping cats claws, is that really a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I had issues with feral cats climbing on and sleeping on my car in an underground car park. I surrounded the car with cayenne pepper. Harmless to the cats, and they don’t like it. I applied it every few days for a couple of weeks. It trains the cats to stay away from the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never heard of clipping cats claws, is that really a thing?
    It is.

Our elderly cat stopped going outside as much and also despite our trying to get her to do it, refused to use an indoor scratching post. As a result, her claws grew too long and started to curve round and dig into her paws making her very uncomfortable. It's only the very tip that's cut off.

Not to be confused with the horrible practice of "declawing", common in the US.

It is against the law to damage someone else's property! You very clearly don't drive or have a car! Cars cost a lot of money to buy & maintain!
    I'm glad you are not my neighbour!
    Sure it would be against the law to go into my neighbours with a claw hammer and damage their car, and there would be plenty of options to sort it criminal damage via guards, civil case for damages etc.
    Where is the entitlement if say it's a stray or unidentified cat?

There's lots of law and case law about say if cattle break out and do damage - is there the equivalent for wandering cats?

Practically OP if the owners are hippish as you describe - do you think they will assign the same value to the car vs their cat roaming? You will probably be left looking at deterrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Have you tried talking to them about it?

Notoriously unwilling to listen, cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

blackbox wrote: »
    if your car is that valuable, special and perfect, why do you leave it out in the open?

Why does someone leave their car in the open.

Is this really a question you are asking or are you just on the wind up?

Sure it would be against the law to go into my neighbours with a claw hammer and damage their car, and there would be plenty of options to sort it criminal damage via guards, civil case for damages etc.
    Where is the entitlement if say it's a stray or unidentified cat?

There's lots of law and case law about say if cattle break out and do damage - is there the equivalent for wandering cats?

Practically OP if the owners are hippish as you describe - do you think they will assign the same value to the car vs their cat roaming? You will probably be left looking at deterrents.

It is not my car. The OP saw the cat in question!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not his cat. Not his bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Day Lewin wrote: »
    It might be the echoing sound that she likes as she does her trampoline practice, and muffling with a cover will both dampen the sound and protect the surface, - and hopefully discourage the cat.
    Absolutely hilarious description
    I get how frustrating this is,there's a cat at work that does the same thing to my car, little bastard has my car destroyed and I don't even have a nice car.
    Is this something cats do???

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Can a small famously light footed creature like a cat really damage/dent a car? Are their nails really hard enough to scratch what I assume would be good quality paint on a 40k car? I'm not saying it's impossible just wondering is there more happening than just the cat. I wonder if there is a dog jumping against the side of your car to try and get to the cat.
    I have both cats and dogs, the cats sunbathe on the roof and bonnet of the car and I've seen them slide and try to grip with nails, the only result was that the dust was scratched off the paint. My dogs on the other hand have scratched the paint on the door sills getting in and out of the back seat. neither have ever dented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

A cats claws are retracted and they only unsheath them if using them, eg.for purchase, but there is nothing for them to grip on a metal surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Perhaps the car could be coated with a grease like substance that would dissuade the cat?

Something like this but that would wash off after the cat has lost the habit of going on the car. Perhaps the neighbours would agree to wash it off?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/blackfriar-anti-climb-paint-black-1ltr/5810p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Piehead wrote: »
    Perhaps the car could be coated with a grease like substance that would dissuade the cat?

Something like this but that would wash off after the cat has lost the habit of going on the car. Perhaps the neighbours would agree to wash it off?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/blackfriar-anti-climb-paint-black-1ltr/5810p

Is this a serious response? :pac:

Fluppen wrote: »
    Can a small famously light footed creature like a cat really damage/dent a car? Are their nails really hard enough to scratch what I assume would be good quality paint on a 40k car? I'm not saying it's impossible just wondering is there more happening than just the cat. I wonder if there is a dog jumping against the side of your car to try and get to the cat.
    I have both cats and dogs, the cats sunbathe on the roof and bonnet of the car and I've seen them slide and try to grip with nails, the only result was that the dust was scratched off the paint. My dogs on the other hand have scratched the paint on the door sills getting in and out of the back seat. neither have ever dented it.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    A cats claws are retracted and they only unsheath them if using them, eg.for purchase, but there is nothing for them to grip on a metal surface.

I agree about the dents, extremely unlikely a small animal like a cat would be able to cause a noticeable dent in a car. For a start any cat worth it's salt would be able to jump up on a car in one leap, it's paws/claws wouldn't get anywhere near the door.

The only possible way a cat could put any scratches on car paint would be if it had any small stones/dirt on it's paws, but again it wouldn't be a real deep scratch, just the kind of thing you'd get from brushing the car up against the bushes on a small country road, something that would buff out in 5 seconds.

It is not my car. The OP saw the cat in question!
    I know it's not your car.
    What exactly is that entitlement?
    If if park my car beside the road I expect it will be safe but I know it comes with some risks, on my drive less risks, in a secure garage even less risks.

Different scenarios produce different expectations.
    Accidental damage by a bin truck is different from accidental damage by a child on a bike which is different from damage by a cat.

A quick Google produced this summary:
    https://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/consultation%20papers/wpAnimals.htm
    Lots of talk about damage caused by cattle. Not much about cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Could be a lot worse than a cat, could be a rat.

Serious question. What do you wash/polish your car with? If you use wax or any detergents etc that may well be what is attracting the cat. That is unusual behaviour without any reason,
    and cats are sensitive to and react to a lot of aroamsstivie to and react to a lot of aromas

Try washing the car well with just water; see if that stops it?

Strumms wrote: »
    Folks,

Recently at night it’s becoming a regular issue that the neighbors cat, a reasonably new acquisition of about 2 years has taken a shine to our car.

It’s a mixture of an indoors and outdoors cat that strays or ventures outdoors at night.. tonight I thought somebody was out at the car at about 3.15 am there was a regular and prominent tapping / banging on metal sound that wasn’t stopping so I went and looked out the window... the cat was just bouncing up and down all over the car... bonnet to roof and onto the ground and back and repeated over and over ad nauseam....

The car is 16 months old, a good car, looked after inside and out but recently on the bonnet and low down on the door there was a couple of noticeable longish little dings and scratches that left me scratching my head as to where and how they got there as the car is driven and looked after with care.

The folks who live there and own the cat would be quite hippyish in every facet of their existence, we get on very well & positively all be it just in passing mostly. They have dogs too and very animal orientated so a ‘get your fûcking mog away from my metal’ approach might not be advised but I’m in no mood to watch and listen to my nice car getting scratched up by Tiny Tiddles.. how does one go about looking for resolution In this situation ? I’m happy and wanting initially ideas or solutions to put to them...

The repeated jumping up and down does seem odd behaviour indeed. Only time I've ever seen a cat jump on a car it's simply jumped onto it to sleep on a warm bonnet.

The only thing I can think of is if it's happening at night that it's chasing insects / moths.

You have to be having a laugh or else are not in touch with reality.

Nothing wrong with a good laugh and thank you for this one!!!!.

And I am serious about the law and cats. Ask as I suggested. They are a protected species. This comes up in gardening forums a lot.

As an owner of six rescues I am well aware of all aspects of cat laws

Including what you are and are not allowed to do to them

Oh re claws. If an indoor cat that does not need sharp claws for defence etc gets overgrown claws. they can become infected and impacted. With proper nail clippers you can just take the sharp tip back

Mine are all outdoor cat so no way would their claws need clipping and they need them to climb and defend themselves etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

This thread gave me a good laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Get an old car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Oh re claws. If an indoor cat that does not need sharp claws for defence etc gets overgrown claws. they can become infected and impacted. With proper nail clippers you can just take the sharp tip back

We have to watch this constantly. They have sisal wrapped cat trees and cardboard scratchers and when they go out in the garden they usually make use of what was originally a large piece of driftwood but is gradually shrinking but even with that some need a clipping every so often. Thankfully dear daughter does that with a proper claw clippers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement