Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbors Cat and our car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you actually suggesting he cover up his car every time he parks it? Door locks are also readily available, and also not very expensive. Cat owner should be keeping cat inside if they don't want to pay for the damage.
    Ah, sure she's always posting mad stuff. Don't mind her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Strumms wrote: »
    Thanks, yes the camera footage is indeed a good idea, hadn't thought of that thanks...

Also post it on YouTube. It may get viral and you might get enough money to buy a new car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Is your car a pussy magnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Is your car a pussy magnet?

LOL it's a bad joke but it had to be made :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

endacl wrote: »
    Ah, sure she's always posting mad stuff. Don't mind her.

Covering your precious car is sensible. Far from "mad" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Graces7 wrote: »

Preventing cats from wandering & being a nuisance is far more sensible!

Imagine having to cover & uncover your car every time you wanted to use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ah Graces7, come on.
    I've enjoyed and supported many of your posts down through many years, but to say that the car and/or owner are at any way responsible for this, and that the cat has the right to do it, is silly.

Washing a car with just water? Why should anyone have to do that? Covering the car? Same thing.

The issue is the cat. The cat needs to stop. The car owner doesn't owe it to the cat or their owner to facilitate a cat using their car as a trampoline. And I say that as a cat owner myself. If my (very fat) boy was doing this, it would have to be dealt with, in an appropriate manner that didn't impact the cat beyond amending it's behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Many a motorbike cover here has ended up sprayed with p1ss and shredded by cats over the years... I would not recommend using a car cover...nor would expect somebody to do that as a solution. The lack of courtesy and understanding in this thread...Jesus wept. Some of us live in cities beside our neighbours and have to accommodate each other as best we can. Not everyone has a driveway or garage or an island to park their car on. Some of us have worked hard and actually like our cars - just because you haven’t done the same doesn’t give you the right to stick two fingers up at somebody who has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP might like to try washing his car with something that has a citrus smell. Cats hate that. I've no idea if this would work but I'd give something like this a try https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemical-Guys-Citrus-Gloss-Concentrated/dp/B07F9XDVW7

Now you might say why should the OP have to bother but he's said its a 40 grand car I suspect he washes it occasionally :)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Ah Graces7, come on.
    I've enjoyed and supported many of your posts down through many years, but to say that the car and/or owner are at any way responsible for this, and that the cat has the right to do it, is silly.

Washing a car with just water? Why should anyone have to do that? Covering the car? Same thing.

The issue is the cat. The cat needs to stop. The car owner doesn't owe it to the cat or their owner to facilitate a cat using their car as a trampoline. And I say that as a cat owner myself. If my (very fat) boy was doing this, it would have to be dealt with, in an appropriate manner that didn't impact the cat beyond amending it's behaviour.

I merely suggested ways forward as the OP seemed very....distressed indeed and out of all proportion. IF the cat is allergic etc to the car wash used then the water wash will show that and he can change brand
    End of problem

Cats are not malicious . There is always a real reason for their behaviour. This is recent behaviour so something about the car has set this off. A reaction to a chemical fits that possibility,

The real issue is the owner's reaction and yes he does have a responsibility to care for his property. So you snigger at every suggestion? But none of your own?

What is so terrible about covering the car! An easy enough task.

I merely suggested ways forward as the OP seemed very....distressed indeed and out of all proportion. IF the cat is allergic etc to the car wash used then the water wash will show that and he can change brand
    End of problem

Cats are not malicious . There is always a real reason for their behaviour. This is recent behaviour so something about the car has set this off. A reaction to a chemical fits that possibility,

My suggestions?

Talk to the cat owner. Inform them of the issue. Relay that damage will need to be covered by them. That is caring for their property. They are being proactive. But they should not have to pay extra to cover their car, or use other car wash products just to facilitate a cat wanting to use their car as a resting place.

Other suggestions?
    Spray the cat with water each time it's seen on the car. Or scare it away using voice/movement.
    The real issue is the owner's reaction and yes he does have a responsibility to care for his property. So you snigger at every suggestion? But none of your own?

The real issue is car damage! Not the owner's suggestion. If my cat or dog took a dump on your doorstep every day, or if they wrecked your flowers / garden, the issue wouldn't be your reaction. It would be the animal's behaviour.

Your example seems eerily close to an animal version of victim blaming. The car owner is entitled to park their car safely. That is not a 'fault'.

tk123 wrote: »
    Many a motorbike cover here has ended up sprayed with p1ss and shredded by cats over the years... I would not recommend using a car cover...nor would expect somebody to do that as a solution. The lack of courtesy and understanding in this thread...Jesus wept. Some of us live in cities beside our neighbours and have to accommodate each other as best we can. Not everyone has a driveway or garage or an island to park their car on. Some of us have worked hard and actually like our cars - just because you haven’t done the same doesn’t give you the right to stick two fingers up as somebody who has.

When you reply politely, please. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the one hand I would be irritated to see a cat jumping all over my car, on the other it would have to be a mighty big cat to dent or scratch a car. Realistically the only way the neighbours could stop the cat jumping on the car would be either to keep it in on a permanent basis, or get rid of it. It would probably be easier and less socially difficult to stop the cat from going on the car. The water pistol idea would be the easiest, a few squirts would convince it not to go on the car.

Presumably the neighbours have a car, but the cat doesn't jump on it, or on other neighbours cars, so what is the attraction? It sounds as though rather than trampolining it is jumping on insects - is there a street light reflecting off the car roof that attracts insects? Do you have an outside light that attracts insects that are then landing on the car? As the weather gets cooler the insects will be fewer and the cat will lose interest.

Either way it seems unlikely to do damage - they scratch when there is purchase, like on timber, otherwise a cat would not have its claws out jumping onto a metal surface, and even if it did it would be unlikely to do damage. Have the hose or a waterpistol handy and give it a good soak, discourage it without creating an incident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Sprinkle Cayanne pepper on the bonnet and roof for a few nights. Thatll sort it.

looksee wrote: »

Either way it seems unlikely to do damage - they scratch when there is purchase, like on timber, otherwise a cat would not have its claws out jumping onto a metal surface, and even if it did it would be unlikely to do damage. Have the hose or a waterpistol handy and give it a good soak, discourage it without creating an incident!

Unfortunately that isn't quite right. A cat that is slipping off a shiny surface will automatically extend its claws to try and gain purchase. It will do the same when it jumps up onto a wing and doesn't quite make it in one.

The claws themselves do damage the finish but that only polish however its not unusual for grit to get lodged into the end of a cats claws (after its climbed a blockwork wall for example) and then you can get some scratching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sprinkle Cayanne pepper on the bonnet and roof for a few nights. Thatll sort it.

I'd be a bit nervous that the pepper might do more damage to the paint finish than the cat, though I agree with the principle.

On the subject of a cat putting out its claws if it slips, that's true, but my experience has been that if a cat jumps onto a surface that is not stable (ie slippy) they don't do it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It's so unfair, I park my car at the bottom of a ravine and rocks keep falling on it. Before anyone says anything please, I have a right to park my car safely. Don't victim blame me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Spray the cat with water when it goes on the car.

Shout at dogs who stray onto your land

Once or twice and they're gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Considering that you can damage the paintwork with a sponge I can only see a cat doing damage especially if startled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Seems like you are getting a lot of sympathy from the cat owners here. The thing with cats is that sometimes they come back injured, its really sad when it happens. Of course nobody knows what happens them as they get up to all sorts when they are out roaming around.

• Advertisement

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Seems like you are getting a lot of sympathy from the cat owners here. The thing with cats is that sometimes they come back injured, its really sad when it happens. Of course nobody knows what happens them as they get up to all sorts when they are out roaming around.

Sound.

I don't think the animals and pet forum is for you, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

s1ippy wrote: »
    It's so unfair, I park my car at the bottom of a ravine and rocks keep falling on it. Before anyone says anything please, I have a right to park my car safely. Don't victim blame me.

If these are somebody elses rocks falling on to your car, parked on your land I'd suggest you talk to the owner of the rocks and tell them they will need to pay for the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

HerrKuehn wrote:

Uh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

People are genuinely so strange when it comes to cats: like if someone's dog or child went on someone else's property and damaged or destroyed some property, there would be no question as to who was at fault.

Whereas when it comes to cats, a person's irresponsible ownership of their pet is somehow regarded as some sort immutable act of God, rather than a situation that could easily be predicted, and almost as easily rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

El Tarangu wrote: »
    People are genuinely so strange when it comes to cats: like if someone's dog or child went on someone else's property and damaged or destroyed some property, there would be no question as to who was at fault.

Whereas when it comes to cats, a person's irresponsible ownership of their pet is somehow regarded as some sort immutable act of God, rather than a situation that could easily be predicted, and almost as easily rectified.

Exactly, I wonder would they use the same analogy if a dog off a lead got a hold of their cat? If I let my cat play in the ravine, rocks might fall on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP, Is there a security sensor movement flood light that could be put in place, might scare the cat off.

Could it be local kids that are causing the scratches instead.

There is also an option of CAT- Off sprays that can be bought in Woodies or B & Q.

Maybe spray this on your car where the cat is causing the damage.

I would also set up a CCTV camera is possible to prove that is is the neighbours cat that is causing the scratches.

I had something similar a few years back where I was noticing scratches on my boot lid paint work, not deep but still visible.

I bought T-Cut in Halfords and was able to buff out the scratches, not perfect but cheaper than a re-spray .

That’s a lot of bother and expense to go to to remedy an avoidable situation.
    Neighbours need to keep their cat indoors. End of.

TCut is grand for buffing out scratches. Better if the scratches didn’t happen in the first place. Especially on a practically new car.

Exactly, I would would they use the same analogy if a dog off a lead got a hold of their cat? If I let my cat play in the ravine, rocks might fall on it.
    For my above link there is lots of law about controlling dogs, has anyone found anything about controlling cats?

I have a car and park it on my drive, occasionally have to park it on the side of the road.
    Don't have a cat.
    The neighbours cat left pawprints in two separate pieces of concrete we poured recently. They will be there for decades probably. I'm not bothered - cats wander, it's what they do.

The OP can ask the neighbour to stop their cat wandering.
    If they don't want to there doesn't seem to be much the OP can do other than try to deter the cat somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nothing wrong with a good laugh and thank you for this one!!!!.

And I am serious about the law and cats. Ask as I suggested. They are a protected species. This comes up in gardening forums a lot.

As an owner of six rescues I am well aware of all aspects of cat laws

Including what you are and are not allowed to do to them

Oh re claws. If an indoor cat that does not need sharp claws for defence etc gets overgrown claws. they can become infected and impacted. With proper nail clippers you can just take the sharp tip back

Mine are all outdoor cat so no way would their claws need clipping and they need them to climb and defend themselves etc

Don’t you live on an island?

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Don’t you live on an island?

Literally, metaphorically and figuratively...

cats wander, it's what they do.

Dogs have a natural inclination to wander - but in recent years, society decided that it wasn't really responsible for owners to permit their dogs to wander off of their own accord, pooping everywhere or rooting through bins or, in the countryside, worrying livestock. Odd that (some) cat owners seem to think that this same responsibility does not extend to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, literally

As an owner of six rescues I am well aware of all aspects of cat laws.
    [...]

Mine are all outdoor cat so no way would their claws need clipping and they need them to climb and defend themselves etc

I wonder if it's possible to quantify how many birds and other wildlife your cats kill each year....

OP thinks the cat put dings on the car, any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I think you meant to say Thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

End of problem

Indeed, really the OP should disassemble their car every evening and bring it inside if they are going to be so precious about it.

Anyway, back to the real world, OP you can get some sprays that keep cats away.
    Is the car in your driveway or on the road (makes no difference to your problem, but just might give you more options if its in your driveway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If these are somebody elses rocks falling on to your car, parked on your land I'd suggest you talk to the owner of the rocks and tell them they will need to pay for the damage.
    You can't own rocks any more than you can compel a cat to do something.

Other posters have suggested measures to be taken such as:

Lock up the cat - cruel and unwarranted
    Use deterrents (light, spray bottle, citrus smell, cover car, grease) - clever and not victim blaming, just looking out for personal property
    Tell neighbours - the most obvious step, will likely result in them acting to prevent the activity themselves

I would agree that pictures of the damage may be important here. If there are visible scratches and if the OP can get video evidence that the cat caused them, assuming the cat's owners are decent people, they will probably fork out for the damage caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Use deterrents (light, spray bottle, citrus smell, cover car, grease) - clever and not victim blaming, just looking out for personal property
    Tell neighbours - the most obvious step, will likely result in them acting to prevent the activity themselves

I would agree that pictures of the damage may be important here. If there are visible scratches and if the OP can get video evidence that the cat caused them, assuming the cat's owners are decent people, they will probably fork out for the damage caused.

It's not unwarranted to keep your cat indoors overnight. It's better for the cat and better for wildlife.

• Advertisement

I just want to see the pics because a cat is like a dry microfibre wash mitt, it'll streak dirt across your car and lightly mar paint but it won't fucking dent it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it not still the case that owners are not held legally accountable for their cats in the way they would be for their dogs?

An acknoweldgement that cats are essentially a law unto themselves

Bambi wrote: »
    Is it not still the case that owners are not held legally accountable for their cats in the way they would be for their dogs?

An acknoweldgement that cats are essentially a law unto themselves

Still have this article open from when I looked it up earlier https://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/lifestyle/can-cats-be-kept-out-of-neighbours-gardens-34639982.html .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I just want to see the pics because a cat is like a dry microfibre wash mitt, it'll streak dirt across your car and lightly mar paint but it won't fucking dent it

x2 - Cats are excellent for buffing up a QD*

Just give them a spin in the drier to fluff them up again*

*joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That would have to be one fat fúcker of a cat to actually dent a car. That or an extremely brittle panel that would end up dented by some strong wind.

Dogs have a natural inclination to wander - but in recent years, society decided that it wasn't really responsible for owners to permit their dogs to wander off of their own accord, pooping everywhere or rooting through bins or, in the countryside, worrying livestock. Odd that (some) cat owners seem to think that this same responsibility does not extend to them.
    We have had laws about controlling dogs for a long time, updated regularly, codified in acts like the control of dogs act.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/print#sec9
    This is a bit dealing with wandering- it's not allowed.

The same responsibility does not extend to cat owners, unless you can show otherwise.

That's not to say that owner's don't have responsibilities like the cats welfare, it just doesn't equate to the responsibilities of owners of say dog or cattle owners.

I don't have any pets.

• Advertisement

I hope you don't have any cats, because you genuinely haven't got a clue.

"The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it’s wiser to keep cats indoors. “Considering the potential dangers outdoors, an indoor lifestyle is much safer for cats,” Brunt says. “Indoor cats have a much lower likelihood of becoming hurt or ill from outdoor hazards.”

As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years. "

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat#1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

GreeBo wrote: »
    Indeed, really the OP should disassemble their car every evening and bring it inside if they are going to be so precious about it.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2777094/They-call-bubble-boy-Why-one-penny-pinching-man-wraps-entire-home-plastic-looking-like-new.html

I hope you don't have any cats, because you genuinely haven't got a clue.

"The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it’s wiser to keep cats indoors. “Considering the potential dangers outdoors, an indoor lifestyle is much safer for cats,” Brunt says. “Indoor cats have a much lower likelihood of becoming hurt or ill from outdoor hazards.”

As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years. "

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat#1

nonsense, we have cats and all of them go out at night except for one who sometimes stays in all by choice. Have had a couple who've lived over 20 years.

two to five years, how can you believe that. Maybe if you average it down with totally feral cats.

Definitely not cruel to have outside cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

We have had laws about controlling dogs for a long time, updated regularly, codified in acts like the control of dogs act.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/print#sec9
    This is a bit dealing with wandering- it's not allowed.

The same responsibility does not extend to cat owners, unless you can show otherwise.

That's not to say that owner's don't have responsibilities like the cats welfare, it just doesn't equate to the responsibilities of owners of say dog or cattle owners.

I don't have any pets.
    I read that in parts of Canada they have to be on a leash
    EDIT. just a proposed law https://www.cbc.ca/archives/leashes-on-cats-1.5760156

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Just here to interject regarding the idea that a cats claws cannot damage paintwork.

They can. A friends car was getting damaged to his clear coat from cats having orgies on his car (they like the heat of the engine). He got window suckers and attached them to a type of net that kept them off. Pretty funny to see actually, it was like a feline assault course.

I would second the suggestion of the water pistol, plus it'd be a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement