Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbors Cat and our car

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blackbox wrote: »
    It's possible that your neighbour's cat scratched it, but it could have been done by a bird or other wild animal or by debris blowing on the wind.

It's annoying - I get that, but if your car is that valuable, special and perfect, why do you leave it out in the open?

I wouldn't sacrifice my relationship with my neighbours for something I was going to replace in a few years.

Why do I leave it out in the open ? Because I’ve nowhere else to leave it, it’s on my driveway. On my property, I don’t have access to a garage. Same as about 70% of the other residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

We have had laws about controlling dogs for a long time, updated regularly, codified in acts like the control of dogs act.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/print#sec9
    This is a bit dealing with wandering- it's not allowed.

The same responsibility does not extend to cat owners, unless you can show otherwise.

That's not to say that owner's don't have responsibilities like the cats welfare, it just doesn't equate to the responsibilities of owners of say dog or cattle owners.

I don't have any pets.

Although there is no specific laws against it, I presume it would come under the relevant tort; now whether a person could actually bring it to court and prosecute the owner successfully in practice is another question.

This website (which I appreciate seems far from authoritative), seems to suggest that the owners would be responsible in some circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

nonsense, we have cats and all of them go out at night except for one who sometimes stays in all by choice. Have had a couple who've lived over 20 years.

two to five years, how can you believe that. Maybe if you average it down with totally feral cats.

Definitely not cruel to have outside cats

Just to be clear, it was the other poster suggesting it was cruel to keep cats inside, not be suggesting it was cruel to keep them outside.

I don't know what rationale the American Veterinary Medical Association used to come to their conclusions, but I presume they know what they are talking about when they recommend to keep cats indoors.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

The car isn’t there usually much during the day mostly just from 4pm till morning.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a motion sensor security light, might see if that does the job...had been contemplating it as a security deterrent anyway as well as a word again with his owners.

Btw for anyone in question, it’s certainly 99% this cat, I’ve witnessed him several times, the car is essentially it’s playpen, outdoors bench, it lies on the bonnet, jumps up and down on it.. and his scratch post now too seemingly...

I’m not in the mood to go trading in an asset worth xxxxx thousands just to get told sorry, you can take a couple of grand off because of these scratches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Strumms wrote: »
    Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

The car isn’t there usually much during the day mostly just from 4pm till morning.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a motion sensor security light, might see if that does the job...as well as a word again with his owners.

Btw for anyone in question, it’s certainly 99% this cat, I’ve witnessed him several times, the car is essentially it’s playpen, outdoors bench, it lies on the bonnet.. and scratch post now too seemingly...

I’m not in the

Clearly the cat killed the OP in the middle of his post.

RIP OP.

I'm not sure why cat owners think it's ok to let their animals roam wild.
    I had to have words with a neighbour four doors down from me, who seemed to think his cats coming up & ****ting in my garden wasn't a big deal.

we don't think it's acceptable to allow dogs to roam the streets, why are cats treated differently?

Finland has great laws about this, no cats allowed roam at all, if you want to take your cat out, you put a lead in it or put it in a run in your garden.
    No issue with cats causing damage to neighbours property there, owners are responsible for any damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not sure why car owners think it's ok to let their animals roam wild.
    I had to have words with a neighbour four doors down from me, who seemed to think his cats coming up & ****ting in my garden wasn't a big deal.

we don't think it's acceptable to allow dogs to roam the streets, why are cats treated differently?

Finland has great laws about this, no cats allowed roam at all, if you want to take your cat out, you put a lead in it or put it in a run in your garden.
    No issue with cats causing damage to neighbours property there, owners are responsible for any damage.

And never mind the fact that cat faeces can be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not sure why car owners think it's ok to let their animals roam wild.

Don't you mean doing wheelies in your garden :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

More research indicated that security lights when activated by their motion will scare the cat away so as it provides a double protection against potential intruders and scratching cats....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Upload what the cat is doing to youtube and watch the money roll in :)

Cats have an aversion to citrus - the peel in particular.

Spray a plastic sheet with a citrus spray put it over the rof, "tie it" into the windows. Do this for a few nights and it will find somewhere else to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I hope you don't have any cats, because you genuinely haven't got a clue.

"The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it’s wiser to keep cats indoors. “Considering the potential dangers outdoors, an indoor lifestyle is much safer for cats,” Brunt says. “Indoor cats have a much lower likelihood of becoming hurt or ill from outdoor hazards.”

As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years. "

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat#1

Wouldn't that be true for every living thing?
    i.e. is pointless information?

You yourself would live longer if you never drove a car or took public transport for example, how do you fancy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just try talking to the owners.
    Reasonable people won't want any of their family damaging something belong to someone else.

One of our cars, outdoor lady, thinks she can sharpen her claws on our bbq cover. She likes the variety even though we have enough trees and stumps and fencing to keep many cats happily sharpening:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

We have had laws about controlling dogs for a long time, updated regularly, codified in acts like the control of dogs act.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/print#sec9
    This is a bit dealing with wandering- it's not allowed.

The same responsibility does not extend to cat owners, unless you can show otherwise.

That's not to say that owner's don't have responsibilities like the cats welfare, it just doesn't equate to the responsibilities of owners of say dog or cattle owners.

I don't have any pets.

Yep I thought that was the case, however you can ask the neighbours to fix the car and keep the cat indoors at night. If they refuse you can mention that any cat found on your car will be brought to the animal shelter - and whatever happens happens. As per statute the cats owners do not have responsibilities like dog owners due to their nature. It implies that owners do also not have real ownership of cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

any pics of the dents the cat did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Graces7 wrote: »
    Covering your precious car is sensible. Far from "mad" .

Mine would be covered in bits of cat, but that’s a story for another thread...

• Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

it likes the heat
    you have to spray the cat with hose

any pics of the dents the cat did

More of a slight indentation at the beginning or end of the scratches then a dent, I never in fact claimed that there were dents...read the op and subsequent posts again :)

But yeah I’ll take some photos when it’s light tomorrow and give a more ideal vision of how is looks. Fortunately it is a gray car so not as noticeable as if it was red or a bright color I’d imagine but I’ve noticed when you clean and wipe around the scratches they are more prevalent to the naked eye for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Strumms wrote: »
    More of a slight indentation at the beginning or end of the scratches then a dent, I never in fact claimed that there were dents...read the op and subsequent posts again :)

But yeah I’ll take some photos when it’s light tomorrow and give a more ideal vision of how is looks. Fortunately it is a gray car so not as noticeable as if it was red or a bright color I’d imagine but I’ve noticed when you clean and wipe around the scratches they are more prevalent to the naked eye for sure...

put the pic in detailing chat https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115280610 and someone will tell you how best to sort it. I'd say you won't have any ding/dent after it's fully cleaned and if the scratches are just in clear coat someone will be able to say where or how to get it sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

And never mind the fact that cat faeces can be dangerous.

All faeces is dangerous. It's ****, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Easy enough to make a cat disappear if it's on your property regularly. You could easily lure it into your house, job done! Something to feed the fish for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ok, I think that’s enough. For the most part you’re all as bad as each other. Closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Seems like you are getting a lot of sympathy from the cat owners here. The thing with cats is that sometimes they come back injured, its really sad when it happens. Of course nobody knows what happens them as they get up to all sorts when they are out roaming around.
    endacl wrote: »
    Mine would be covered in bits of cat, but that’s a story for another thread...
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Easy enough to make a cat disappear if it's on your property regularly. You could easily lure it into your house, job done! Something to feed the fish for the next few weeks.

All three posters permanently banned for suggesting cruelty to or killing pets. I don’t know how many times we have to tell people this is not acceptable in this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement